Found Deceased WA - Julie Montague Ayers, 67, got separated from her partner while walking the dog, has dementia, Mt Baker Natl Forest, Kendall, 10 Mar 2023

I wish the family would establish a Facebook page where search updates could be published. Her daughter is posting but those can't be shared here. I wonder if SAR has done all it can? Nearby bodies of water haven't been searched AFAIK. I wonder if any other video was found?

Such a sad case as the window of finding her alive is closing or has closed.

As the massive U.S. Boomer population ages, solutions that work for tracking need to be encouraged by doctors & others who encounter the vulnerable/potentially vulnerable. The tech is out there but like so much with elder care, too few know about the many clever inventions that help improve quality of life for seniors. Everyone fights aging thinking it only means loss but it doesn't have to.

I look forward to a day when tracking options & adaptive equipment are not seen as enemies of privacy & autonomy.
MOO
SAR closed the formal search after 4 days. The odds were against survival after 72 hours. :(
Apropos your point, there are "tracking" electronics that are primarily used for many other activities of daily living, including sleep monitoring, water intake, getting off the couch, fall detection, medical info, backtracking the way you came on a trail, oxygen saturation, heart rate.... well, even phone (you never have to worry about losing your phone) on an AppleWatch. All this makes it very surreptitious, and of course, they're everywhere, even on young people, so not much cause for paranoia. I got mine for fall detection. In other words, no specialized tracking device needed, no special thing for seniors, just a watch that looks like everyone else's. My doc has been recommending it to seniors now after seeing me use it...I don't think she'd put two and two together until then. I really don't hear people talking about this.
It's likely LE could ping an AppleWatch if it was the kind that has built-in cell service and the person was lost or wandering. Soon, they'll likely be able to do satellite communication.
Something like this could be implemented with a less-than-able senior w/ negligible cost and a quick trip to a cell store.
My senior friends are getting liberated from their homes, since they don't have to be in range of Life Alert (which is very expensive, BTW) to get SOS on a fall. Great tool to keep folks independent, out of the house, moving, all of it.

If JA was wearing an Applewatch (for example), all she'd have to do was trip on a root or move suddenly in a downward direction, and the watch would automatically be calling 911. The odds of that happening in a case like this where the person might be charging through brush are very high, so SAR might have found her quickly. Heck, I set it off when I plop on the floor to play with my dog.

PS there may be other watches that do this, but I'm only familiar with the AppleWatch version, which I bought for fall detection while hiking.

Apropos your point, there are "tracking" electronics that are primarily used for many other activities of daily living, including sleep monitoring, water intake, getting off the couch, fall detection, medical info, backtracking the way you came on a trail, oxygen saturation, heart rate.... well, even phone (you never have to worry about losing your phone) on an AppleWatch. All this makes it very surreptitious, and of course, they're everywhere, even on young people, so not much cause for paranoia. I got mine for fall detection. In other words, no specialized tracking device needed, no special thing for seniors, just a watch that looks like everyone else's. My doc has been recommending it to seniors now after seeing me use it...I don't think she'd put two and two together until then. I really don't hear people talking about this.
It's likely LE could ping an AppleWatch if it was the kind that has built-in cell service and the person was lost or wandering. Soon, they'll likely be able to do satellite communication.
Something like this could be implemented with a less-than-able senior w/ negligible cost and a quick trip to a cell store.
My senior friends are getting liberated from their homes, since they don't have to be in range of Life Alert (which is very expensive, BTW) to get SOS on a fall. Great tool to keep folks independent, out of the house, moving, all of it.

If JA was wearing an Applewatch (for example), all she'd have to do was trip on a root or move suddenly in a downward direction, and the watch would automatically be calling 911. The odds of that happening in a case like this where the person might be charging through brush are very high, so SAR might have found her quickly. Heck, I set it off when I plop on the floor to play with my dog.

[trimmed for focus]

In cases where the wearer has dementia, I see the advantage in having this as a tracking device to help other people look for them if they get lost, but all those other features are pretty useless to the wearer. Are they going to remember how to use the watch to use the backtracking feature or how to use it to contact help? Are they going to get freaked out by the disembodied voice speaking to them through the watch if a fall is detected?

[
[trimmed for focus]

In cases where the wearer has dementia, I see the advantage in having this as a tracking device to help other people look for them if they get lost, but all those other features are pretty useless to the wearer. Are they going to remember how to use the watch to use the backtracking feature or how to use it to contact help? Are they going to get freaked out by the disembodied voice speaking to them through the watch if a fall is detected?
I would be concerned about the need to charge up the watch. Someone else would need to ensure that happens, IMO.

I tried to get my mother to carry a small flip phone, but she disliked it and just never bothered to get in the habit of charging it. She didn't have dementia, just age-related-stubborn-"I'm the parent you're the child"ness.

JMO

[
I would be concerned about the need to charge up the watch. Someone else would need to ensure that happens, IMO.

I tried to get my mother to carry a small flip phone, but she disliked it and just never bothered to get in the habit of charging it. She didn't have dementia, just age-related-stubborn-"I'm the parent you're the child"ness.

JMO
Yes, the charging would be an issue. A mind-er would have to make sure it's charged, but someone who wanders almost certainly needs a minder of some sort, even to cook a meal, get a bath, etc.

[trimmed for focus]

So, the groovy thing is, no disembodied voice when you fall over, though perhaps the settings would allow it. The watch automatically calls 911 if you fall and don’t interact with it. Mine does a kind of weird vibration when it gets set off and a button asks me if I’m okay. No response, and it calls.

It may vary from person to person whether a disembodied familiar voice issuing from the watch is a problem. Hearing a family member’s voice from your wrist might be rehearsed ahead of time.

Some of the other features may not be on point for a person with dementia, but are not at all “pretty useless”. Getting lost in the woods happens to a lot of people; being able to backtrack is super handy. Remembering that the feature is on there, well, that’s another problem.

At any rate, my idea is to have a tracking item that isn’t specifically for folks with dementia (which can get expensive and apt to be removed), but simply to adapt an everyday item to address a need. In general, I like to look at what we might have already that might keep us safer in wilderness adventures. IMO there are a lot of handy dandy items out there that might be useful, but their uses haven’t been exploited yet. We could, for instance, put RECCO tags on everyday clothing of folks who are prone to wandering.

So, the groovy thing is, no disembodied voice when you fall over, though perhaps the settings would allow it. The watch automatically calls 911 if you fall and don’t interact with it. Mine does a kind of weird vibration when it gets set off and a button asks me if I’m okay. No response, and it calls.

It may vary from person to person whether a disembodied familiar voice issuing from the watch is a problem. Hearing a family member’s voice from your wrist might be rehearsed ahead of time.

Some of the other features may not be on point for a person with dementia, but are not at all “pretty useless”. Getting lost in the woods happens to a lot of people; being able to backtrack is super handy. Remembering that the feature is on there, well, that’s another problem.

At any rate, my idea is to have a tracking item that isn’t specifically for folks with dementia (which can get expensive and apt to be removed), but simply to adapt an everyday item to address a need. In general, I like to look at what we might have already that might keep us safer in wilderness adventures. IMO there are a lot of handy dandy items out there that might be useful, but their uses haven’t been exploited yet. We could, for instance, put RECCO tags on everyday clothing of folks who are prone to wandering.
Again, FOR A PERSON WITH DEMENTIA, are they going to understand what a vibration on their wrist means? They have to remember how to use the features of the watch in order for it to be useful, so they would indeed be useless.

Given that this thread is dealing with aspects of missing people with dementia, it seems irrelevant to try to plug the benefits of Apple watches to people without dementia.

Again, FOR A PERSON WITH DEMENTIA, are they going to understand what a vibration on their wrist means? They have to remember how to use the features of the watch in order for it to be useful, so they would indeed be useless.

Given that this thread is dealing with aspects of missing people with dementia, it seems irrelevant to try to plug the benefits of Apple watches to people without dementia.
I think a gadget that tracks as well as registers a fall/drop and then automatically summons help if the person doesn't push the right button to indicate they are ok, sounds like it would work well for many people with dementia, even if there are other device functions they aren't able to take advantage of. MOO

I think a gadget that tracks as well as registers a fall/drop and then automatically summons help if the person doesn't push the right button to indicate they are ok, sounds like it would work well for many people with dementia, even if there are other device functions they aren't able to take advantage of. MOO

Agree. I'm not sure whether an Apple watch or whatever is the answer for dementia patients. I have a Google watch and, with these kind of features activated, the battery drains very quickly. You would probably need to recharge it at least twice a day. The features are very difficult to understand. Very difficult to turn off things you don't want. The purpose of these watches is to glean as much of your personal info, activities, etc. as possible to sell to other businesses who then try to sell stuff to you. A lot of the annoying features automatically turn themselves back on, even if you turn them off.

It would be nice, though, if someone could come up with a simple tracking type of watch that is easy for people with memory issues.

ETA: Also, because it has standard features that can be used by you to pay bills, shop, etc. you need to constantly input a password just to check the time.

My late mother had Parkinson’s with dementia and I’d recommend everything you suggested. Use whatever is in your arsenal to keep the dementia patient safe.

My mom was a very bright accomplished person and it was a very tough hurdle for my father to get over in order to realize their home needed to be ‘childproofed’ to keep her safe. Putting safety measures in place means you’ve come to a landmark with the illness.

I personally think that’s why some dementia patients go missing. Even after being diagnosed, the family —and the patient—have a tough time accepting the lifestyle changes that go with it. I’m not blaming anyone—going missing may be the first big indicator that the disease has advanced. This lady may have seemed ‘normal’, alert and oriented before going missing. They may not have imagined it could have happened to her. (I understand the dog ran off and that added to this crisis.)

Last edited:
I think the trackers sown into clothing is the best idea. With the watches, as much as I can see a lot of benefits for some people, the batteries drain quickly plus there are a lot of other features, notifications and buzzes that might be annoying for some people which then leads to abandonment.

The trackers are simple, unobtrusive and you don't know they are there. I don't mean air tags as they need nearby iphones etc to function. I mean similar to the belt idea. There is the technology for this.

I know some people will really baulk at this because of personal freedom, but I think if there is even one incident of someone getting lost or the potential for this to easily happen, it is worth the trade off. Phones get left behind etc and cannot hold charge for too long, plus they are too big/heavy.

I personally think that’s why some dementia patients go missing. Even after being diagnosed, the family —and the patient—have a tough time accepting the lifestyle changes that go with it. I’m not blaming anyone—going missing may be the first big indicator that the disease has advanced. This lady may have seemed ‘normal’, alert and oriented before going missing. They may not have imagined it could have happened to her. (I understand the dog ran off and that added to this crisis.)
100%. I've been meaning to weigh in as we are experiencing my grandfather's decline into dementia right now. My mother is currently visiting him, and I find that she tends to diminish his illness (refer to it as sundowners rather than vasicular dementia), and ascribe symptoms to other causes (if he's confused after taking a nap and thinks it's morning when it's afternoon, he must just be extra tired, if he has an outburst, she thinks it's a medication reaction). His wife is the same age and she still gets into arguments with him over his ex wife, who is deceased, even though his mind is mostly stuck in the past. Point being, both people can tell you he has dementia with a straight face, but when it comes to emotionally accepting that their loved one has changed, they can't do it as easily (or at all). People are complex and not always rational. Often your need for your loved one to be who they always were supersedes your rational mind.

100%. I've been meaning to weigh in as we are experiencing my grandfather's decline into dementia right now. My mother is currently visiting him, and I find that she tends to diminish his illness (refer to it as sundowners rather than vasicular dementia), and ascribe symptoms to other causes (if he's confused after taking a nap and thinks it's morning when it's afternoon, he must just be extra tired, if he has an outburst, she thinks it's a medication reaction). His wife is the same age and she still gets into arguments with him over his ex wife, who is deceased, even though his mind is mostly stuck in the past. Point being, both people can tell you he has dementia with a straight face, but when it comes to emotionally accepting that their loved one has changed, they can't do it as easily (or at all). People are complex and not always rational. Often your need for your loved one to be who they always were supersedes your rational mind.
I’m sorry, and completely understand. I can tell you that my father and I created a great world for my mom, complete with a basement ‘shop’, a desk for ‘work’, and a faithful Jack Russell that treated her like her baby. My mom became her inner child, and we played along at times with things like waiting for her father to
pick her up from ‘boarding school’ she thought she was in ( it was her own home.) It can be beautiful at times because they become so innocent and full of wonder at things like familiar photo books and music they know.

It gets better.

MAR 25, 2023
Friends and family of a missing Whatcom County woman are holding a prayer vigil and ceremony for her tomorrow Sunday, March 26.

[...]

Her friends and family said that Julie and her husband were lifelong religious ministers before dementia forced her to retire.

Sunday’s Interfaith Prayer Vigil and Say Her Name Ceremony is at 3 p.m. at the Maritime Heritage Park Amphitheater in Bellingham at 500 West Holly Street.

[...]

MAR 25, 2023
Friends and family of a missing Whatcom County woman are holding a prayer vigil and ceremony for her tomorrow Sunday, March 26.

[...]

Her friends and family said that Julie and her husband were lifelong religious ministers before dementia forced her to retire.

Sunday’s Interfaith Prayer Vigil and Say Her Name Ceremony is at 3 p.m. at the Maritime Heritage Park Amphitheater in Bellingham at 500 West Holly Street.

[...]
It sounds like the dementia was much more advanced than at first reported. It makes me sad that no one seems to have realized how quickly she could get disoriented and wander off, or, out of paranoia "make a quick dash for the exit" as my father told me was necessary, given opportunity, in the throes of dementia. In the aftermath of a quarrel with a loved one (it looked like an Alzheimer's bicker to me) over which direction to go (when there might only have been one option), topped with the craziness of losing the dog, I could see the brain going haywire with anxiety or paranoia and segue at a run into the woods or just forgetting what she was doing waiting around.
I wonder why her husband didn't stash JA at home and then go for the dog?
I'm finding this case odd and terrifying at the same time.

Last edited:
MAPLE FALLS, Wash. — The search continues for a missing Maple Falls woman and the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office (WCSO) is hoping someone may have seen where she went.

On Monday, WCSO put a post on social media looking to identify the driver of a vehicle in hopes of finding 67-year-old Julie Montague-Ayers who went missing earlier this month. The car was seen in the area of Balfour Valley Drive around the time Montague-Ayers went missing.

Agree. I'm not sure whether an Apple watch or whatever is the answer for dementia patients. I have a Google watch and, with these kind of features activated, the battery drains very quickly. You would probably need to recharge it at least twice a day. The features are very difficult to understand. Very difficult to turn off things you don't want. The purpose of these watches is to glean as much of your personal info, activities, etc. as possible to sell to other businesses who then try to sell stuff to you. A lot of the annoying features automatically turn themselves back on, even if you turn them off.

It would be nice, though, if someone could come up with a simple tracking type of watch that is easy for people with memory issues.

ETA: Also, because it has standard features that can be used by you to pay bills, shop, etc. you need to constantly input a password just to check the time.
I’m not trying to advocate for Apple exactly, but their watches detect falls with just a nightly charge and they are much easier to use than what you describe. Ymmv moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708
Back