Found Deceased WA - Kassanndra Cantrell, 33, pregnant, possibly went shopping, Parkland, 25 Aug 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curious, hypothetically speaking, if you were a POI in an investigation to what degree would LE go to prove what you're saying is true? This POI hasn't been charged yet so would LE be able to obtain medical records to prove something such as a vasectomy based on what a missing expecting mom told her friends and family? Does the POI have any rights to privacy? Really hadn't given this deep thought because I was expecting the POI to have been charged by now and we would have hopefully known more.

Last edited:
Where does her mother say documentation was missing?

"Investigators and volunteers have yet to find Kassanndra’s cell phone, which has been off since she disappeared last week. But there’s something else her mother believes she may have left the house with last Tuesday. “The very first test that she took when she went to the clinic, its missing…I can't think of why she needed it unless somebody asked her for it,” says Marie Smith.

Family says though Kassanndra is early in her pregnancy, about 12 weeks, it doesn’t matter, to Marie Smith, this search isn’t just for her only daughter, but her grandbaby too. “That’s all we've been talking about is this baby, planning for the baby. There's already a whole future laid out, and I won’t let that be gone.”"

https://www.q13fox.com/news/volunteers-look-for-clues-in-case-of-missing-pregnant-tacoma-woman
Published September 3

Ignore the whole grocery thing. IMO. Her mom said she would not put in the prep time or go that early. No signs she went to the store and not consistent with her schedule.
VERY interesting if true she left with no money. If so, unlikely she stopped for coffee or met at a restaurant. (Not saying she would have spent money, but if you meet at these places you do bring money). Darn it Kassanndra I wish you insisted on a coffee meet up. That huge park :(

stupid park date sounds covid safe until it isn’t. Should have made that assh0le buy a smoothie at least. JMO :(

or maybe she just went to his place. No cash needed there.

I think if the person leaves the house w/o even a credit card but with a pregnancy paper and looking well (makeup, etc), it is really meant to be a minute thing. Stop by, roll down a window, show him a paper, looking a beautiful, pregnant, radiant mother.

What went wrong from there?

MOO

Curious, hypothetically speaking, if you were a POI in an investigation to what degree would LE go to prove what you're saying is true? This POI hasn't been charged yet so would LE be able to obtain medical records to prove something such as a vasectomy based on what a missing expecting mom told her friends and family? Does the POI have any rights to privacy? Really hadn't given this deep thought because I was expecting the POI to have been charged by now and we would have hopefully known more.

Proving vasectomy doesn’t prove anything.

vasectomy statistics

Researchers estimated that around one in 100 vasectomies would fail within one to five years of surgery. They say those failure rates are similar to those reported in two prior studies on vasectomy failure.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed> I kept first sonogram picture as “first photo”. So if other moms document all their kids’ lives, why not start with the positive test? I see nothing wrong here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, some very excited expectant moms keep them, at least for a time. Lots of them come with a cap, and since urine is sterile it’s not that big of a deal to some!
9 Things Moms Can Do With Their Positive Pregnancy Tests

Was also seen recently with the Monica Moynan case, where they found a recent positive test in her bedside table but cannot find her body to prove if this was in fact the case.
Moo!

Yes, some very excited expectant moms keep them, at least for a time. Lots of them come with a cap, and since urine is sterile it’s not that big of a deal to some!
9 Things Moms Can Do With Their Positive Pregnancy Tests

Was also seen recently with the Monica Moynan case, where they found a recent positive test in her bedside table but cannot find her body to prove if this was in fact the case.
Moo!
Urine is not sterile.

Turns Out Urine Isn’t Actually Sterile | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

I am assuming Kassanndra bought a test at the store, it came out positive and she got an appointment at a clinic, was tested again and it also came positive so, she scheduled an ultrasound. It would make total sense for Kassanndra to keep her first positive pregnancy test, and then, it's als pretty normal to show that same test to the father of the child.
My theory is that either the father of the child or his girlfriend requested "proof" that she was, indeed, pregnant. Even if she didn't have plans to include him in the babie's life, that doesn't really mean that she wouldn't agree to show him the test.

Proving vasectomy doesn’t prove anything.

vasectomy statistics

Researchers estimated that around one in 100 vasectomies would fail within one to five years of surgery. They say those failure rates are similar to those reported in two prior studies on vasectomy failure.
Well yes and no,
It would add to motive for sure. If someone thinks they’ve had a successful vasectomy and the person they cheated with comes forward with a positive pregnancy test... definitely would spark anger imo!

Bigger question is, does LE know location of POI who reportedly disappeared before the search of his property was completed? Has he done interview? Cooperated? Any confirmed KC Or vehicle sighting after the 8:44 am doorbell cam?

LE let him go before the search was over. They said they knew he was at another residence during the search.
Cooperated - This is "lawyer up before talking to the police" territory, guilty or innocent. Just saying "I want a lawyer present" could be considered "not cooperating" and without context that looks bad.
Sightings - We only have the time line that she was last SEEN on the ring cam at 8:44 then her cellphone pinged at Point Defiance around 11:44 or 12:44 before being shutoff. A family member in another group said they were told it was shut down, it did not run out of battery. From there the next known sighting thats been reported is when her car was found around 11:30 friday night. Then three nights later the POIs home is raided.

Why would LE need to prove the vasectomy? That still does not account for her missing.
Yes, without solid proof the POI has rights to privacy. The public only knows that the mom said he was the POI/BD. Thats the only confirmation that we have he might have been involved. I would still like to see the "probable cause" that allowed the police to get a search warrant on his residence but that was not strong enough to keep him or charge him almost two weeks later.

"Investigators and volunteers have yet to find Kassanndra’s cell phone, which has been off since she disappeared last week. But there’s something else her mother believes she may have left the house with last Tuesday. “The very first test that she took when she went to the clinic, its missing…I can't think of why she needed it unless somebody asked her for it,” says Marie Smith.

Family says though Kassanndra is early in her pregnancy, about 12 weeks, it doesn’t matter, to Marie Smith, this search isn’t just for her only daughter, but her grandbaby too. “That’s all we've been talking about is this baby, planning for the baby. There's already a whole future laid out, and I won’t let that be gone.”"

Volunteers look for clues in case of missing pregnant Tacoma woman
Published September 3

This does not say a document, just a test...jmo.

Investigators would go to great lengths to check out alibis and credibility of a major suspect. Their main goal is to 'clear' the initial suspects, and move on to the next ones.

As to the POI's rights to privacy, it can be limited if LE gets proper warrants to seek out private information. But those things take time and resources so it can be a long, slow process.

LE let him go before the search was over. They said they knew he was at another residence during the search.
Cooperated - This is "lawyer up before talking to the police" territory, guilty or innocent. Just saying "I want a lawyer present" could be considered "not cooperating" and without context that looks bad.
Sightings - We only have the time line that she was last SEEN on the ring cam at 8:44 then her cellphone pinged at Point Defiance around 11:44 or 12:44 before being shutoff. A family member in another group said they were told it was shut down, it did not run out of battery. From there the next known sighting thats been reported is when her car was found around 11:30 friday night. Then three nights later the POIs home is raided.

Why would LE need to prove the vasectomy? That still does not account for her missing.
Yes, without solid proof the POI has rights to privacy. The public only knows that the mom said he was the POI/BD. Thats the only confirmation that we have he might have been involved. I would still like to see the "probable cause" that allowed the police to get a search warrant on his residence but that was not strong enough to keep him or charge him almost two weeks later.

BBM - because he may be saying that he can't impregnate a woman. He said/she said. The pregnancy could be the motive for her missing and possible death, imo.

I'm not a lawyer but from what I'm reading HIPAA would prevent a medical provider from giving out info on a previous vasectomy (or anything in medical records) unless the patient signs a release that allows it to be shared - which a person who wanted police to leave them alone might agree to do since it bears out their side of the story.

It looks like a court order from a judge would be needed to trump HIPAA and allow a provider to share without consent.

It's interesting that investigators have pointed out that the pregnancy cannot be confirmed. That's not something that investigators normally comment on. Normally, family announces that a missing woman is pregnant, no one comments
on the authenticity of pregnancy. It's presumed to be true, yet here we are left uncertain of this basic fact.

The pregnancy can not be confirmed means there is no verifiable source - no lab tests, no ultrasound, and no Kassandra. So the information comes from her family. I see no reason for the family to be untruthful, and Kassanndra likely told the truth. But there is no hard data, Not even the phone.

I am thinking of the situations where cases seem to be “hung”.

Situations like CW or PF were resolved easily enough. But likely, not very smart planners, the perps were - and some luck, too.

All later cases - KC, SM, and oh, the Delphi - seem to include several people involved, and these people know about the cellphones, the technology, the DNA.

It seems that they follow crime news and are logical. All gamers?

Also, i would not be surprised if in all cases, other people are involved, but these other people, too, are rather logical, with high IQ, some training, no blabbers.

And I can’t say much about IN LE, but both CO and WA are similar - IT states, from what I observed, here in WA, at least, the police is also logical and well-read.

So what kind of criminals are they dealing with? Is it gaming that develops the ability to plan a murder? Or something else?

ETA: Kassanndra’s Google searches, or even proof that she bought a pregnancy test in the pharmacy, could be an indirect verification. Think of this. First, there is a delay in period. What do people do? Well, search Google, right? Delay. Then they follow “signs of pregnancy”. Then they go out (not too far, in view of the COVID) and buy a test. They may search something about better tests. In her case, she could have searched about twins.

There would be the whole line of searches indicating that pregnancy was on her mind, at least.

Last edited:
If Kassandra was pregnant or not is not really the issue. I think someone believing she was, was enough for that person to disappear her! Not sure she would lie to her mother about it though, I’ve seen circumstances where someone will lie to an ex or current bf, but I don’t see why lying to her mum with whom she lives is beneficial in any way. All just MOO, but I do believe she was pregnant, and happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member