WA - Lindsey Baum, 10, McCleary, 26 June 2009 - #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to add that I hope the above did not sound too pessimistic. It was just very heartbreaking to not even get the chance to go to a vote on the ballots. But I have confidence that if members of WS get involved, it could be done. :)

Good idea I think I will go to the goodwill! Just to let you and everyone else know. the fine Governor of the state of Washington is having the dept of corrections go through the pedophiles prision records and those that have good behavior are being let out Early! I think the pedophiles are smarter than all of us I mean after all they know if they are good little boys and girls they will get out early and will be back on our streets to take another one of our babies! This is Wrong and we need to stop this from happening!

FINE governor...LOL. F'd up, neurotic, insecure, emotional. I don't think I've ever been as disturbed by a political outcome than when this state elected
This FINE governor to another term. IMO.

Pedophiles are known to be model citizens and model prisoners! Oh my gosh, this makes me so SICK. You can't judge them on their behavior in public...they are evil in the dark.

Yes this is the website! Just to reference I know this site from working with lost and forgotten teenage boys who have had parents or a parent arrested for internet crimes involving sex. Yes there are group therapies for everyting! (Please be a mentor to a teenage boy as they aren't men yet and need guidence to navigate life) If you found this message on Chilling Effects .org it would have first showed up (shorter version) in bold red letters across your computer when googling Lindsey's name saying this website has been removed due to internet child crimes and directs you to Chilling Effects the watch dogs! This isn't sounding good.... I continue to pray that photos of Lindsey have not been distributed. Those that know Lindsey's mom maybe could ask her if she was aware of the date that Lindsey's request by FBI was sent to Interpol. Wouldn't it be helpful to know how many hard drives have been removed in McCleary? If this case involves this type of crime (chilling effects must have saw something!) I'll be laid out as Lindsey's case got me away from volunteering in that arena. I might have to put my boots back on!

what about that fort lewis guy who had that photo studio
set up in the woods?

Pedophiles are known to be model citizens and model prisoners! Oh my gosh, this makes me so SICK. You can't judge them on their behavior in public...they are evil in the dark.

speaking as a victim from my family doctor at the age of 10...i think all pedos should be blinded if released...that MIGHT help a little bit...but we all know that they are incurable and they SHOULD all die...JMO

I just wanted to add that I hope the above did not sound too pessimistic. It was just very heartbreaking to not even get the chance to go to a vote on the ballots. But I have confidence that if members of WS get involved, it could be done. :)

I don't think you sounded pessimistic...just real. It does not sound like it is something easy to do and you've obviously been through the let down when it doesn't pan out and I can only imagine how that feels but I say with something as important as this we got to just keep banding together and coming back at them full force until we can get it done. Something obviously needs to be done - laws are way too lax for crimes such as these.

I think there are a lot of members of this board that could really help put this into play if we tried. I'd love to hear what others think about it.

After following so many of these VERY SAD child abduction stories over the last year I have come to the conclusion that children should not be left alone to walk to school, or to a friends or play at the park. Most states have laws( or recomendations) reguarding an appropriate age that children can be left home alone. It seems strange to me that they would not be safe to stay home alone but noone seems to worry about them walking alone(without adult supervision) from point a to point b. Sadly the streets are not safe, even in small communitys where crimes rarely exist they are just not safe. It seems that many of the missing children this year have dissapeared when walking alone or with other children. I realise parents work but child safety needs to be a priority above everything else. If a parent can't be there to walk a child safely then maybe they should a. rearange work schedule
or b, find a family member or friend to walk with or drive their children. :waitasec:
Just my oppinion

Does anyone have a good website for statistics on crimes against children? I found this and am wondering if the stats they show are in line with other sites? I bolded some areas I felt were of particular interest.

<snipped>
http://www.kidsearchnetwork.org/research-statistics.html

There are estimated to be about 100 cases per year in the US where a child is abducted and murdered. The victims of these cases are "average" children, leading normal lives, and living with normal families, typical low-risk victims. The vast majority of them are girls (76%), with the average age being slightly over 11 years of age. In 80% of cases, the initial contact between the victim and killer is within 1/4 mile of the victim's residence.

Over half (57%) of these child abduction murders are committed by a killer who is a stranger to the victim. Family involvement in this type of case is infrequent (9%).

The average age of killers of abducted children is around 27 years old. They are predominantly unmarried (85%) and half of them (51%) either live alone (17%) or with their parents (34%). Half of them are unemployed, and those that are employed work in unskilled or semi-skilled labor occupations. Therefore, the killers can generally be characterized as "social marginals."

Almost two-thirds of the killers (61%) had prior arrests for violent crimes, with slightly more than half of the killers' prior crimes (53%) committed against children. The most frequent prior crimes against children were rape (31% of killers) and other sexual assault (45% of killers). Sixty-seven percent of the child abduction murderers' prior crimes were similar in M.O. to the murder that was committed by the same killer.

Commonly, the killers are at the initial victim-killer contact site for a legitimate reason (66%). They either lived in the area (29%) or were engaging in some normal activity. Most of the victims of child abduction murder are victims of opportunity (57%). Only in 14 percent of cases did the killer choose his victim because of some physical characteristic of the victim. The primary motivation for the child abduction murder is sexual assault.

A unique pattern of distance relationships exists in child abduction murders. The initial contact site is within 1/4 mile of the victim's last known location in 80% of cases. Conversely, the distance between the initial contact site and the murder site increases to distances greater than 1/4 mile (54%). The distance from the murder site to the body recovery site again decreases, to less than 200 feet in 72 percent of cases.

It was discovered that once the murder investigation has begun, the name of the killer is known to the police within the first week in 74% of cases.

Laws need to be tougher. Tougher and unforgiving. We need to give these monsters real pause before they even THINK about touching a child. They prey on the innocent and the defenseless. We need to make the criminals realize that there are those that will defend the innocent and there will be serious consequences.

Children deserve to grow up protected and loved. It is the monsters of the world that need to learn to fear.

So many people are starting to speak up in all arenas of child crimes and look how long that took to happen since the seventies. They were just Jane Does then. While society started to pay attention to the increase of these crimes on are babies the adult perps fine tuned there evilness and savy on the computer. I totally feel laws are going to be made to keep these guys off the street for the rest of their lives or our country will make laws like arab countries and put the sickos to death. I actually read a paper by law students were working on questioning the sign of the times and where to house these people. One said put them on an island & let them fend for themselves like Papillion. It takes society so long to catch up because people don't involve themselves in others issues unless it hits home. People like you keep this in the news and there are many "yous" out there. The squeeky wheel gets greased! We just wish these guys were removed yesterday. Hugs to you and sis for this battle for other children. Anger can be motivating energy! Keep up the good work. I buy dishes at the goodwill to break outside when I'm angry so I'm heading there now! mini laugh :puffy::cry:
OT: KageyKaren, eggs work well, as does a bucket at the driving range. Painting a fence is my favorite so far - that mad turned into an 8 x 42' mural of air-brushed crashing waves under a stormy sky -after seeing the mess I was making, Pollack-like, an artist friend brought beer and talent and transformed that anger into a beautiful thing.

That's the goal of anger, I believe: transformation into love.
We can do that here.

Does anyone have a good website for statistics on crimes against children? I found this and am wondering if the stats they show are in line with other sites? I bolded some areas I felt were of particular interest.

<snipped>
http://www.kidsearchnetwork.org/research-statistics.html

There are estimated to be about 100 cases per year in the US where a child is abducted and murdered. The victims of these cases are "average" children, leading normal lives, and living with normal families, typical low-risk victims. The vast majority of them are girls (76%), with the average age being slightly over 11 years of age. In 80% of cases, the initial contact between the victim and killer is within 1/4 mile of the victim's residence.

Over half (57%) of these child abduction murders are committed by a killer who is a stranger to the victim. Family involvement in this type of case is infrequent (9%).

The average age of killers of abducted children is around 27 years old. They are predominantly unmarried (85%) and half of them (51%) either live alone (17%) or with their parents (34%). Half of them are unemployed, and those that are employed work in unskilled or semi-skilled labor occupations. Therefore, the killers can generally be characterized as "social marginals."

Almost two-thirds of the killers (61%) had prior arrests for violent crimes, with slightly more than half of the killers' prior crimes (53%) committed against children. The most frequent prior crimes against children were rape (31% of killers) and other sexual assault (45% of killers). Sixty-seven percent of the child abduction murderers' prior crimes were similar in M.O. to the murder that was committed by the same killer.

Commonly, the killers are at the initial victim-killer contact site for a legitimate reason (66%). They either lived in the area (29%) or were engaging in some normal activity. Most of the victims of child abduction murder are victims of opportunity (57%). Only in 14 percent of cases did the killer choose his victim because of some physical characteristic of the victim. The primary motivation for the child abduction murder is sexual assault.

A unique pattern of distance relationships exists in child abduction murders. The initial contact site is within 1/4 mile of the victim's last known location in 80% of cases. Conversely, the distance between the initial contact site and the murder site increases to distances greater than 1/4 mile (54%). The distance from the murder site to the body recovery site again decreases, to less than 200 feet in 72 percent of cases.

It was discovered that once the murder investigation has begun, the name of the killer is known to the police within the first week in 74% of cases.

Hi Jules, The %'s here leave me at a loss as we did a lot of study on this with Haleigh's case. I thought it was less than 1% of all children that are taken by strangers. Most are found safe, the second category was familial/friend with stranger way down on the bottom of the list.

I'll have to see if I can find that. xox

Here are the results of a study by the Washington State Attorney General's Office:
  • In 74 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child murder victim was female and the average age was 11 years old.
  • In 44 percent of the cases studied, the victims and killers were strangers, but in 42 percent of the cases, the victims and killers were friends or acquaintances.
  • Only about 14 percent of the cases studied involved parents or intimates killing the child.
  • Almost two-thirds of the killers in these cases have prior arrests for violent crimes, with slightly more than half of those prior crimes committed against children.
  • The primary motive for the child abduction killer in the cases studied was sexual assault.
  • In nearly 60 percent of the cases studied, more than two hours passed between the time someone realized the child was missing and the time police were notified.
  • In 76 percent of the missing children homicide cases studied, the child was dead within three hours of the abduction&#8211;and in 88.5 percent of the cases the child was dead within 24 hours.
http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=2354
Keep in mind that these are not the statistics for kidnapping alone and are not the statistics for murder alone. They're the statistics for kidnapping combined with murder. So, 100% of the children were murdered and 100% of them were kidnapped. That is going to be very different than statistics for child kidnapping and than statistics for child murder separately. In other words, the fact that 88% of the kidnapped/murdered children in the study were dead within 24 hours does not mean 88% of kidnapped children are dead within 24 hours, since the study does not take into account any children who were not murdered. (Obviously, the percentage for parents committing kidnapping/murder would be low since custodial parents would not be considered to have kidnapped their child. )

OT: KageyKaren, eggs work well, as does a bucket at the driving range. Painting a fence is my favorite so far - that mad turned into an 8 x 42' mural of air-brushed crashing waves under a stormy sky -after seeing the mess I was making, Pollack-like, an artist friend brought beer and talent and transformed that anger into a beautiful thing.

That's the goal of anger, I believe: transformation into love.
We can do that here.
Hey Sister Soul, We operate the same! I wish you could post a pic of that mural. One thing that has me disturbed is the sheriff's announcement in the Somer Thompson case vs. the sheriff in Lindsey's case. Shoot I don't remember exactly but it is on HLN. Calif. sheriff told nationwide press (world) "We have a child killer on the loose" I think I quoted right! LOL! So, don't we also have a possible killer in McCleary? The lack of outrage and concern in McCleary for the same reason is odd.

I will pull out the old documents for Dylan's Law / One Strike Law, as well as try to contact the woman who organized it in the past. I'll see what I can find out as far as how to get started and where to go from here. Then I'll post again and let you all know. :)

Hey Sister Soul, We operate the same! I wish you could post a pic of that mural. One thing that has me disturbed is the sheriff's announcement in the Somer Thompson case vs. the sheriff in Lindsey's case. Shoot I don't remember exactly but it is on HLN. Calif. sheriff told nationwide press (world) "We have a child killer on the loose" I think I quoted right! LOL! So, don't we also have a possible killer in McCleary? The lack of outrage and concern in McCleary for the same reason is odd.

It really wouldn't have mattered what the LE in Gray's Harbor or McCleary said.... Would the media in SEATTLE actually have covered it????:banghead:

I live Washington state and I just want to say I am and have been mortified by the coverage of poor Lindsay's case in Western Washington. It wasn't just ignored by the national media (due to Michael Jackson's death) but in the local media. It was like these people, in the media here, didn't care. I have followed Lindsay's case from the beginning and it has been just sad. The media out of Seattle is some of the worst I've seen. Not only was there a lack of info when the case was reported... most of it wasn't even correct. I shot off several emails to the media in Seattle... like they care. The emails I sent were polite, I just kept asking why they reporting on the missing child in McCleary. They nevere deigned to respond.

They like to report like this, "We had an attempted child abduction in Bellevue today (for instance Monday)." Then you never hear anything else. Then again a lot of the newspapers in Western Washington are pathetic.

So to me this case was doomed from the very beginning and it is sad because my little girl is a year younger than poor little Lindsay.

I just had to vent on the media up here. They are truly pathetic when it comes to getting info out especially if it doesn't happen in SEATTLE!!!:furious::furious::furious:

After following so many of these VERY SAD child abduction stories over the last year I have come to the conclusion that children should not be left alone to walk to school, or to a friends or play at the park. Most states have laws( or recomendations) reguarding an appropriate age that children can be left home alone. It seems strange to me that they would not be safe to stay home alone but noone seems to worry about them walking alone(without adult supervision) from point a to point b. Sadly the streets are not safe, even in small communitys where crimes rarely exist they are just not safe. It seems that many of the missing children this year have dissapeared when walking alone or with other children. I realise parents work but child safety needs to be a priority above everything else. If a parent can't be there to walk a child safely then maybe they should a. rearange work schedule
or b, find a family member or friend to walk with or drive their children. :waitasec:
Just my oppinion

I agree with what you are saying, but the truth is it shouldn't have to be that way. Unless something is done and the laws and penalties are changed we will continue to have to live in fear, as prisoners living shielded lives, while the SO's continue to roam free. There needs to be a change. We need more laws to protect the children and the innocent people of this country, instead of the laws that are protecting these SO's. JMO.

I agree with what you are saying, but the truth is it shouldn't have to be that way. Unless something is done and the laws and penalties are changed we will continue to have to live in fear, as prisoners living shielded lives, while the SO's continue to roam free. There needs to be a change. We need more laws to protect the children and the innocent people of this country, instead of the laws that are protecting these SO's. JMO.

I agree not one SO has ever been cured they will always prey on our children. It is proven that a one time murder is less likely to repeat that crime a SO will repeat within a few weeks of being let out. This is crazy and the only way it will ever get any better is to start killing them off. Maybe just maybe they will will think a little more before they try to hurt a chld. You know in China, Iran, and so on they do not have this problem. grant it they have no rights which is sad but a SO in another country are killed right away. so they do not have this problem. Our goverment gives a SO more protection than any of our children.

If whoever took Lindsey or Amber where caught our goverment would protect them. They will not be put in the general population in a prison because they know they would be killed, But yet where was the protection for Lindsey and Amber there was none. If we could ever find out who took them I can bet that it is not the first time they have been after a child.

Sorry I just get so upset it seems nothing changes, Our kids need our help if anything is ever going to change.

P.S.
Amber will be 15 on Sunday please light a candle for Amber!

Thank you all,

Candle will be lit and Amber will be included in prayers - bless all the missing children and those who are so actively seeking to find them.

Eleph

Amber has been in my thoughts this week and of course we will remember her birthday.

Much love and hope to you and your family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288