Identified! WA - Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #6 *name withheld*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t seen anything yet that the family is keeping his name private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t seen anything yet that the family is keeping his name private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's on the Reddit group
I don't know if it's allowed to be linked here or quoted, but from the moderator of the Lyle Stevik reddit, this is the info. I'd try googling it so you can see it...

If there's an update in the next half hour or so, will someone please post it?
I"m heading out soon and won't have access during that time, and I am chomping at the bit.

:eek:fftobed::eek:fftobed: over here but I'll be checking first thing in the morning for the official word!

I am going to copy/paste from reddit, mods plz delete if not ok:

VICTIM OF SUICIDE IDENTIFIED AFTER 16 ½ YEARS

In September of 2001, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office started an investigation into the identity of a man who committed suicide in Amanda Park, Washington. The man had checked into a motel using the fictitious name of Lyle Stevik. Investigators spent countless hours over the years attempting to identify the deceased man.

Earlier this year, the Sheriff’s Office and the Grays Harbor County Coroner’s Office were contacted by Margaret Press and Colleen Fitzpatrick, co-founders of the non-profit DNA Doe Project. This group offered to fund the analysis of “Lyle’s” DNA with the hopes of identifying possible family members. The coroner’s office provide a DNA sample to this group. Through their organization, about 20 volunteers worked hundreds of hours on “Lyle’s” identification since obtaining his DNA results on March 22.

Aside from the hard-working volunteers, the group’s organizers wanted to express their heartfelt appreciation to all the many donors who contributed to the cost of the tests. This was the group’s first Doe Fund Me case and was funded in less than 24 hours with contributions from around the world. The group also wanted to thank all 900,000 plus people who have contributed their DNA results to the GEDmatch database. Without them this identification could never have been made.

In speaking with Margaret Press, she stated that “cases like these are heart-breaking. During those hundreds of hours there wasn’t one where we didn’t all think of the family he left behind. They are what kept us going”.

Through the work of the DNA Doe Project, the group was able to come up with a possible match of a man from California. Associated with this possible match were names of relatives. Investigators with the Sheriff’s Office were able to contact these possible family members and eventually able to positively identify “Lyle” through fingerprints provided by the family. The family believed that “Lyle” was still alive, just did not want to associate with family. Our victim was 25 years of age at the time of his death.

As a matter of practice, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office does not provide the names of individuals who have committed suicide. And the family of “Lyle” has also requested that his name not be released.

We are thankful for all involved who helped finally solve this 16 ½ year mystery.

Below is the link to the unidentified Doe network case. Attached is more information on DNA Doe Project.

I'm very very impressed with the identification of this poor man. I only wish we really could know who he was, since so many people have tried for years to help identify him. If only people could be humane, and not attack the families of the identified victims, we could possibly know more. What was he like? Why was he alone?

[h=1]Lyle Stevik: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know[/h]
[h=2]1. Stevik Was from California and His Family, Who Believed He Was Still Alive, Does Not Want His Name Released Yet[/h] The DNA Doe Project’s DNA analysis allowed investigators to find possible family members who were related to Stevik. They determined that Stevik was from California, and the family provided fingerprints to the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office, according to a press release. Those fingerprints allowed Stevik to be identified. He was 25 years old.

At this time, Lyle Stevik’s real name will not be released. His family asked law enforcement not to release his real name or their names at this time, requesting privacy. The Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release: “As a matter of practice, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office does not provide the names of individuals who have committed suicide. And the family of Lyle has also requested that his name not be released.”

Here is the text of the fully press release from the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office:
In September of 2001, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office started an investigation into the identity of a man who committed suicide in Amanda Park, Washington. The man had checked into a motel using the fictitious name of Lyle Stevik. Investigators spent countless hours over the years attempting to identify the deceased man.

Earlier this year, the Sheriff’s Office and the Grays Harbor County Coroner’s Office were contacted by Margaret Press and Colleen Fitzpatrick, co-founders of the non-profit DNA Doe Project. This group offered to fund the analysis of “Lyle’s” DNA with the hopes of identifying possible family members. The coroner’s office provide a DNA sample to this group. Through their organization, about 20 volunteers worked hundreds of hours on “Lyle’s” identification since obtaining his DNA results on March 22.

Aside from the hard-working volunteers, the group’s organizers wanted to express their heartfelt appreciation to all the many donors who contributed to the cost of the tests. This was the group’s first Doe Fund Me case and was funded in less than 24 hours with contributions from around the world. The group also wanted to thank all 900,000 plus people who have contributed their DNA results to the GEDmatch database. Without them this identification could never have been made.
In speaking with Margaret Press, she stated that “cases like these are heart-breaking. During those hundreds of hours there wasn’t one where we didn’t all think of the family he left behind. They are what kept us going”.
Through the work of the DNA Doe Project, the group was able to come up with a possible match of a man from California. Associated with this possible match were names of relatives. Investigators with the Sheriff’s Office were able to contact these possible family members and eventually able to positively identify “Lyle” through fingerprints provided by the family. The family believed that “Lyle” was still alive, just did not want to associate with family. Our victim was 25 years of age at the time of his death.
As a matter of practice, the Grays Harbor County Sheriff’s Office does not provide the names of individuals who have committed suicide. And the family of “Lyle” has also requested that his name not be released.

We are thankful for all involved who helped finally solve this 16 ½ year mystery.
According Redditor -Urbex-, who oversees the Lyle Stevik subreddit, and others familiar with the case, the DNA Doe Project may have advised law enforcement to keep the family’s name private, after the backlash after Marcia King’s identity was released.

Read more: https://heavy.com/news/2018/05/lyle-stevik/

Well, DNA Doe Project has done it again. My money says Joseph Newton Chandler III will be next.
Please, the family does not want his identity to be made public, and it seems that he did not want that either. It’s so very hard to suppress curiosity but lets respect that and channel our energies into other cases.

Press release is up on the Grays Harbor Sheriff's Office facebook page

And here is DDP's statement on Lyle's identification. Let's give a huge round of applause for DDP and the hundreds of hours they spent on this case!:

https://www.facebook.com/DNADoeProject/photos/a.2011996032392505.1073741828.2011009255824516/2060622844196490/?type=3&theater

Wow, first Marcia, now him! Yay for DNA Doe Project! RIP :rose:

I find it interesting that the family would have fingerprints but not the police, because if law enforcement had it, wouldn't it have been in AFIS? Unless it was one of those child fingerprint kits or his family had something of his with fingerprints on it? So what we do is his age and where he was from. I'm fine with that.

This is just the beginning. Look out Perps....here we come.
JUSTICE FOR JULIA NISWENDER! Let's use this technology to solve her murder!

Wow! What wonderful news! I hope this spreads awareness to families with relatives they believe don't want to associate with them. Even if they really don't want association a wellness check can be done. I understand why they don't want to release his name but I really would like to see what he looked like in life.

Sent from my LG-M153 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member