WA - Man draws gun, threatens eight-months-pregnant smoker

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Aug 13, 2013.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Armed man gets 20 days for threatening pregnant smoker. (Bellingham Herald)
    the rest at link above

2. Loading...

3. Mom who cares

Mom who cares Cheesehead from the Dairy State

Good grief

4. josie1986

josie1986 Verified Juanette

Well he deserves more than 20 days IMO.

Who is he to judge someone else's life choices. I doubt he would like it if someone came up to him and said 'who drives a stupid azz truck like this and pulled a gun on him

Sent from my 'alternate reality' using my hippocampus

5. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

How scary. Twenty days doesn't seem very long for doing such a thing. I once had a man start something with me for tossing a butt out the car window because my husband would have had a fit over smoking in the vehicle if I'd left evidence in the ashtray. I retorted back about his dog hanging out the window unsafely and slobbering all over. Men need to leave women alone and mind their own business because they're probably doing worse things.

6. Kaliste

Kaliste New Member

While I absolutely would never pull a gun on anyone (and I'm in no way defending his actions) I would judge too. Probably silently but ,yes, I'd be judging a pregnant woman for smoking.

7. Krisy

Krisy Member

While I agree with him on the smoking while pregnant....it's quite ridiculous that he thinks its okay to threaten her and the baby with a gun.

He is upset she's putting the baby in harms way, and then does it! DUH!

8. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

he deserves way more than 20 days
    he can't control his rage over a total stranger's bad habit
    we'll be reading about him murdering someone in the future and it'll be a minor neighbour disbute or a road rage incident IMO

9. Ausgirl

Ausgirl Enough Is Enough!

I like being old enough to remember what it was like before everybody became everybody else's police.

10. Schuby

Schuby Under the thumb of The Man

Years ago I worked in a cigar store and we also carried a variety of English and European brand cigarettes. One day a young couple came in, the woman of which was European and quite pregnant. She asked if we carried some Euro brand, can't remember which, but we did and she bought a pack. They left and she immediately lit up in front of the store windows. I remember my co-worker shook her head and said, "That really makes me mad." I told her that in Europe it's not as taboo to drink or smoke when pregnant so give her a break, but looking back on it, what I really should have said is, "why?, what has she done to you?" If she had said, "Seeing a pregnant woman smoke makes me worry about the health of the baby," I could get with that. But mad? Get a life.

11. Gardenlady

Gardenlady Active Member

O/t but Schuby I loooove your sig! :wave:

And yeah, this azz needs more than 20 days. Wth?!

12. Schuby

Thanks!

13. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Smoking is not good during pregnancy. I don't see why one can't judge. I can judge somebody else bad choices.
    Of course pulling a gun is going overboard.
    But there is a lot of information on smoking and pregnancy. It is harmful to the fetus.
    http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-smoking-during-pregnancy-affects-you-and-your-baby_1405720.bc

14. Schuby

15. popsicle

popsicle faith hope love

Or domestic violence.

16. jjenny

jjenny Well-Known Member

Yea, we are just arguing that nobody should be able to judge someone who smokes while pregnant.

17. brighidin

brighidin remember me as a time of day

Yikes.
    Whatever happened to judging someone silently and then going about your day smugly knowing you are better than 99% of the population.

18. RoseRed

RoseRed Former Member

Well I guess I an telling my age but' I smoked through two pregnacy's. No one condemrd me in the late 60.s middle 70's. Smoked through both and NOW have a healthy 44 year old Son and a beautiful , healthy 37. year old Daughter. THANK GOD I do not always believe the government theories. My God how are all these 60's and earlier babies living today????????????????

19. cuffem

cuffem Well-Known Member

I have seen a book written in the early 50's about pregnancy. It said it was best to let a woman smoke while pregnant because of her bad mood. I think the author was a doctor.

20. MadamReporter

MadamReporter Thin-Ice Skater

When I was in high school I worked at Walgreens. You could buy a pack of Marlboro reds for $1.99+tax. (I'm not THAT old; that was in 1993). A woman that lived across the street from the store came in several times a week to buy cigarettes. When it became obvious to me that she was pregnant I would slip into the office when I would see her walking over to ask for cigarettes because it would make me so upset to have to sell them to her. My manager caught on to me, especially when I was the only cashier on the floor, and I remember having an argument with her over it, with me on the losing end, of course. I thought I was valid in how I felt. I didn't want to be a part of it.

If a pharmacist can refuse to fill an Rx for birth control simply because of their personal beliefs, why can't a cashier refuse to sell an 8-month pregnant woman cigarettes?

21. MadamReporter

MadamReporter Thin-Ice Skater

Didn't they used to also say it was okay to let mothers take doxycycline while pregnant ... until they realized it turned their children's teeth permanently black.