Found Deceased WA - Mark Lawrence Ashland, 27, Seattle, 4 Sept 1981

If the address you're referring to is on Eastlake Ave, that is an address he did live at before he went missing, it's an old listing.
HalesNTX, please update us when your investigative team sorts out this new lead. I submitted it as well, per my post upthread. Thank you

Amateur opinion and speculation

Hi - I am Mark's niece. I am the one that started this process and located the John Doe through the Doe Network and NamUs which started this ball rolling. There was no family discourse and he would've had no reason to disappear purposefully from his family. My dad, newly married to my mom saw him in Seattle while on business in late 1981. I have letters he wrote our family (his parents - my grandparents and his sister - my mother). My grandparents are since deceased but never stopped looking for him. Now I am hoping to find out what happened to my uncle. I have watched my mother miss him dearly my entire life.

Welcome to Websleuths HalesNTX! I'm so sorry your family has had to go through having a missing loved one. I pray that Mark's case will be solved and that you will soon find the answers you seek.

This is the same one I found, and found him in LinkedIn, working for a company that is tied to the one he worked for before, Boeing.

I also located this person on LinkedIn however I am not able to see the entire profile. I find it very difficult to believe this is him. In addition, the detectives in Seattle have not been able to even locate a DL or SSN for him. I'm sure they have ruled this 1 individual out when they started this investigation. There is even no history with the IRS that the detectives could locate. I am sure that this Mark Ashland is paying taxes, but I guess I don't know for sure. It's quite literally as if any and all records of my uncle have been erased. In addition, the detectives did mention that his middle name was dropped at some point. Also, the detectives exact words were, "the IRS is perplexed that they can't find your uncle's social security number either so now they are diligently looking, hm?"

He drove a bus for the City of Seattle and no record of a DL there either. Anyone have any ideas of how someone's entire identity disappears, other than Witness Protection which seems too far fetched?

I also located this person on LinkedIn however I am not able to see the entire profile. I find it very difficult to believe this is him. In addition, the detectives in Seattle have not been able to even locate a DL or SSN for him. I'm sure they have ruled this 1 individual out when they started this investigation. There is even no history with the IRS that the detectives could locate. I am sure that this Mark Ashland is paying taxes, but I guess I don't know for sure. It's quite literally as if any and all records of my uncle have been erased. In addition, the detectives did mention that his middle name was dropped at some point. Also, the detectives exact words were, "the IRS is perplexed that they can't find your uncle's social security number either so now they are diligently looking, hm?"

He drove a bus for the City of Seattle and no record of a DL there either. Anyone have any ideas of how someone's entire identity disappears, other than Witness Protection which seems too far fetched?
Out of an abundance of thoroughness, you may want to revisit this with LE. So many things seem to be lining up. The age, location, connection to one of his original jobs..... While all of this could certainly be circumstantial, it's quite the number of circumstances indeed.
Wishing you the very best in getting the answers you seek; please keep us posted.

Out of an abundance of thoroughness, you may want to revisit this with LE. So many things seem to be lining up. The age, location, connection to one of his original jobs..... While all of this could certainly be circumstantial, it's quite the number of circumstances indeed.
Wishing you the very best in getting the answers you seek; please keep us posted.

I would like to second that.

I would also make sure that the detectives are absolutely certain that the person from LinkedIn is not your uncle.

Have they contacted the Wisconsin Department of Revenue? Your uncle would have been about 21 or 22 when he moved to Seattle from Milwaukee around 1976. If he had been filing state taxes, I would think that the WI DOR would have record of it. And if they do, the detectives may be able to get his SSN off of the documents (I’m assuming that they have already done this with the WA State Department of Revenue ... I would double-check, though, just in case ;)).

Did the detectives explain to you how they were able to find out he had dropped his middle name? I’m not sure about Washington, but when I changed my first name, I had to file papers and attend court.

Have they been able to confirm his employment with any of the places he is known to have worked?

My apologies for bombarding you with so many questions. Just trying to help .

After seeing your request in another thread, I came over here to read up. Only possibility that comes to my mind would be if the man found in 1984 was your uncle and this recent current person assumed his identity somehow. . Could explain the reason he never wanted to be in touch.
That is, of course, if the newly discovered man is NOT your uncle which would be the best outcome. All speculation from me, thoughts that entered my mind.

Good luck. I hope it is resolved for you. It’s been long enough.

Last edited:
After seeing your request in another thread, I came over here to read up. Only possibility that comes to my mind would be if the man found in 1984 was your uncle and this recent current person assumed his identity somehow. . Could explain the reason he never wanted to be in touch.
That is, of course, if the newly discovered man is NOT your uncle which would be the best outcome. All speculation from me, thoughts that entered my mind.

Good luck. I hope it is resolved for you. It’s been long enough.

That is a great theory. Our family always thought that could’ve happened since they apt was cleaned out over night after my great uncle had left the note on the door.

Thanks for your perspective.

Welcome to Websleuths, HalesNTX. I am so glad that you are doing this for your mom.

I found a 64-year-old Mark L Ashland with a Seattle address. I have his last known address as 3xx Mxxxxx Street, Seattle.

I am at this moment with a new private investigator and am not finding anyone for Mark L Ashland or Mark Ashland in Seattle. We are both on Linked In and didn't locate this person. Were you thinking this was a man who works for a contractor of Boeing as a 1st responder?

I am at this moment with a new private investigator and am not finding anyone for Mark L Ashland or Mark Ashland in Seattle. We are both on Linked In and didn't locate this person. Were you thinking this was a man who works for a contractor of Boeing as a 1st responder?
I’ve actually never seen the Linked In profile (I still can’t find it, but I will keep trying), and unfortunately, the website where I got the address (as well as DOB) offers no information about the person’s past or current employment status.

But the age matches (64), and the last known address of the Mark Ashland I found is in Seattle.

By the way, is your uncle’s birthday next month? If you cannot or do not wish to answer, I understand completely. The website I used says it is, and I was wondering about the accuracy of the information.

Good luck with the new PI! I hope that it all works out for you.

I’ve actually never seen the Linked In profile (I still can’t find it, but I will keep trying), and unfortunately, the website where I got the address (as well as DOB) offers no information about the person’s past or current employment status.

But the age matches (64), and the last known address of the Mark Ashland I found is in Seattle.

By the way, is your uncle’s birthday next month? If you cannot or do not wish to answer, I understand completely. The website I used says it is, and I was wondering about the accuracy of the information.

Good luck with the new PI! I hope that it all works out for you.

Yes, his DOB is: 08/27/54.
This website you are using to search for people - does it list when the address was last associated with the individual? Like I said before, it has to be another address he had back in the early 80's because our new PI showed me all the databases that are used to skip trace/locate/find people and nothing current came up. Is it in the area around the University? This is the area he lived before he went missing and we had multiple other addresses for him all in this same general area. Also, if you Google Maps the address you have, is it within 10 miles from the Carkeek Park where the John Doe was located? The addresses we have for him were all within 8-10 miles of the park. If you are still not comfortable providing the database or address that you have located, I can provide you with my PI's information to contact or the SPD Detective I am working with and you can send it to him.

Have you considered becoming a verified insider?

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Done. Thank you for letting me know about this. I have a full time job, family and this has become an additional job that takes up a lot of my time so I apologize that I haven't been able to read up on all the policies/expectations of members. This has honestly become a very time consuming undertaking since I started this just a month ago. Honestly, the time I do have I am doing everything to locate him. Thank you for understanding my ignorance to the many rules of WS.

Yes, his DOB is: 08/27/54.
This website you are using to search for people - does it list when the address was last associated with the individual? Like I said before, it has to be another address he had back in the early 80's because our new PI showed me all the databases that are used to skip trace/locate/find people and nothing current came up. Is it in the area around the University? This is the area he lived before he went missing and we had multiple other addresses for him all in this same general area. Also, if you Google Maps the address you have, is it within 10 miles from the Carkeek Park where the John Doe was located? The addresses we have for him were all within 8-10 miles of the park. If you are still not comfortable providing the database or address that you have located, I can provide you with my PI's information to contact or the SPD Detective I am working with and you can send it to him.
So they do have the correct DOB.

Unfortunately, the website doesn’t say how recent the address is. It only says, “Last Known Address.”

As to its proximity to the university, it’s 4.1 driving miles (or 4.4 walking miles), and to the Carkeek Park, 10 and 7.5 miles, respectively, all according to Google Maps. So it sounds like we are talking about the same general area.

As soon as you are verified (I’m sorry I am such a stickler for rules :)), I will be more than happy to send you all of the information I have (I can do this via private conversation). I hope that the mods will get you verified very soon!

Speaking of the Carkeek Park ... I was finally able to find John Doe’s Doe Network profile (I had only seen the NamUs before). As I looked at the reconstruction, I had a chill run down my spine. Now I understand why you suspect this gentleman may be your uncle :(.

When I saw the pictures of your (very handsome, by the way) uncle for the first time, his eyebrows really caught my eye. They are high-arched and uniquely shaped, IMO. And it seems that (I’m so sorry :() the UID has similar eyebrows.

Their hair is parted on the same side, and they both have high cheekbones, IMO.

Age, height and weight match. Your uncle is known to have had longish black hair with sideburns, while John Doe is described as having black hair with long sideburns.

And this really got my attention:
“One arm was more tan than the other, he probably drove with his arm out the window. From the tanning he had worn a watch on his left wrist, but not [sic] watch was found.“
[Althiugh NamUs says:
“Jewelry
Black wrist watch
On the Body”]

So perhaps the UID has a job that required a lot of driving, like a bus driver ....

The Doe Network: Case File 371UMWA

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unfortunately, the website doesn’t say how recent the address is. It only says, “Last Known Address.”

As to its proximity to the university, it’s 4.1 driving miles (or 4.4 walking miles), and to the Carkeek Park, 10 and 7.5 miles, respectively, all according to Google Maps. So it sounds like we are talking about the same general area.

As soon as you are verified (I’m sorry I am such a stickler for rules :)), I will be more than happy to send you all of the information I have (I can do this via private conversation). I hope that the mods will get you verified very soon!

Speaking of the Carkeek Park ... I was finally able to find John Doe’s Doe Network profile (I had only seen the NamUs before). As I looked at the reconstruction, I had a chill run down my spine. Now I understand why you suspect this gentleman may be your uncle :(.

When I saw the pictures of your (very handsome, by the way) uncle for the first time, his eyebrows really caught my eye. They are high-arched and uniquely shaped, IMO. And it seems that (I’m so sorry :() the UID has similar eyebrows.

Age, height and weight match. Your uncle is known to have had longish black hair with sideburns, while John Doe is described as having black hair with long sideburns.

“One arm was more tan than the other, he probably drove with his arm out the window. From the tanning he had worn a watch on his left wrist, but not [sic] watch was found.“
[Althiugh NamUs says:
“Jewelry
Black wrist watch
On the Body”]

So perhaps the UID has a job that required a lot of driving, like a bus driver ....

Thank you so much for all your sleuthing so. Yes, imagine how I felt when I located the Doe Pic. I initially found the description of the man on NamUS and then further research led me to the Doe Network page and I too saw the reconstructed picture and gasped as well. He was very handsome and Mark was a big brother to identical twin sisters - my mom and my aunt. We all have dark, olive skin, high check bones, tan very easily. I like to think we all have great features :) I too hope they will have me verified very soon. Thank you for your willingness to help us. I want nothing more to find some answers. I’m 34yo and always wondered if this uncle my mom had such great stories about was still out there and when I came across the John Doe - my heart sunk that I may have found the answer but it may not be the one we wanted, but atleast it may provide us, especially my mom and her sister some closure. Thanks again.

[Althiugh NamUs says:
“Jewelry
Black wrist watch
On the Body”]

Here is the thread for the Carkeek Park John Doe: WA - WA - Seattle, White Male, 18-35, UP10814, 9 October 1984

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back