WA WA - Maureen Kelly, 19, Skamania County, 10 June 2013

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by The Cheese, Jun 10, 2013.

1. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

Naked woman on spiritual quest missing in Skamania Co

The Skamania County sheriff's office has started a search for a missing camper.

The 19-year-old was reported missing from the Canyon Creek Campground shortly after midnight.

The woman was reportedly naked and had set out on a spiritual quest about 5 p.m., according to the sheriff's office. She had little in the way of supplies.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Vancouver-woman-missing-on-camping-trip-210833921.html

2. Loading...

3. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

Woman wearing only fanny pack missing in WA forest

A search and rescue operation is underway for a woman wearing nothing but a fanny pack in the woods of Skamania County in southwest Washington.

Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox said a friend reported the 19-year-old Vancouver woman missing in the early morning hours of Monday.

snipped

The woman was only wearing a fanny pack, which had a small knife and a compass inside, and perhaps some other items. She was otherwise naked and, though it was a mild night, she was not prepared for the elements.

snipped

The campground is located in Gifford Pinchot National Forest and it's about 60 miles northeast of Portland.

http://www.kptv.com/story/22548141/search-on-for-missing-woman-at-washington-campground

4. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

KGW Sunrise ‏@KGWSunrise 1h
    1st pics from @Sky8JJ at Canyon Creek Campground where Skamania County SAR is looking for a missing female camper... pic.twitter.com/GTttG2LwwX

5. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

A search is underway for a 19-year-old Pacific Islander woman who went missing from a Skamania County campground Sunday evening.

snipped

She was seen walking across a creek and into the woods but was not reported missing until about 1 a.m.

Authorities were told this spiritual practice is common for the woman, whose name has not been released at this time.

http://www.koin.com/2013/06/10/naked-woman-19-missing-in-canyon-creek/

6. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

7. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

8. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

Last night it got down to the high 40's up there... I would think someone could easily succumb to hypothermia with no clothing on. Even if she knew to try and use groundcover to stay warm, much of it is still pretty damp, as well as the ground itself. It's been unseasonably nice weather here this past week, but it's cooling down again today.

9. northxnorthwest

northxnorthwest baby sleuth

Weird....still pretty cold at night to be completely naked...hope she turns up safe. It would be really easy to get lost in the part of Washington as its very rural and dense trees. Can't imagine why you would go completely naked but not so strange I guess for WA....

Did she have a phone or anything or any "specific place" she was headed in the area.

Sometimes I get more creeped out by who might be lurking in the woods then the nature and animals themselves in some areas of Washington. A naked 19 year old female sure would catch the attention of anyone around.

10. GGE

GGE GGE=GonnaGetEm

This is quite worrisome and odd. Best wishes for the missing young lady.

11. Kaliste

Kaliste New Member

Naked woman wearing a fanny pack on a spiritual quest in the woods? HUH? Well, ok. Does this woman have a picture? A name? Is she mentally unstable? This is just so bizarre.

Hope she is found today.

12. otto

otto Verified Expert

Hopefully she's been adopted by the wild animals, not eaten by them.

13. swanniee11

swanniee11 Well-Known Member

please tell me she had shoes on? How many people were in this spirtual hike/camp? I hope she is found safe and next time at least takes a backpack with stuff in it. IMO :confused:

14. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

Columbian Metrodesk ‏@Col_cops 40m
    Skamania County Sheriff's Office identifies missing woman as Maureen Kelly, 19, of #vanwa

15. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

16. AnnieOakley

AnnieOakley Active Member

The KGW link now says her name is Maureen Kelly from Vancouver. (I was pretty sure she wasn't actually from the Amboy/Yacolt area. Not too many local folks from there would walk around naked with no shoes.)

17. wantjustice

wantjustice Always hoping

Our summer nights in the woods here is freezing! Whenever I camp, I have to bring tank tops, shorts for the day along with sweats and sweatshirts just for the night. It is quite a striking difference. I hope she is ok! Could she have conditioned herself to be "used" to the cold nights? She is so young. Be found safe!

18. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Coincidentally, this case is playing out in the county directly north of Oregon's Hood River County, the site of discovery of an abandoned vehicle tied to a missing person - Daryn Collie - on another WS thread.

19. The Cheese

The Cheese New Member

KATU News ‏@KATUNews 44m
    Deputies ID missing 19-year-old in Skamania County as Maureen Kelly. Search will cont'd until nightfall. http://k2ne.ws/12B2uJK

20. Wildheart48

Wildheart48 Justice for Tia!!

What a bizarre story... I hope she is found soon!! did this friend who reported her missing have any other information regarding her "spiritual quest"?

21. GGE

GGE GGE=GonnaGetEm

I don't know much about spiritual quests except what I've read about native americans, who often use drugs during such quests. I hope she wasn't doing any drugs. Terribly naive post, I know... this is something I"m relatively unfamiliar with. Still can't get over what a strange headline this makes. I guess this should make national news pretty quickly this way at least.