WA WA - Maureen Kelly, 19, Skamania County, 10 June 2013

I don't understand why it matters if she was om drugs or not. Drunk people go missing all the time and that does not seem to hamper the level of interest or concern. She is 19, alone, and needs to be found.

It matters as to context. Being drunk and tripping out of your goard are entirely different states of mind (and physiological processes).

From http://q13fox.com/2013/06/11/search-for-missing-naked-woman-in-its-second-day/#ixzz2VwhH0oBM:

While Kelly’s brother described her as comfortable and capable with the outdoors, he said she’s not as prepared as he would have liked.

BBM...and yes, I'd say so...

He’s concerned with the way she left and that she didn’t tell anyone about when she planned to return.

I thought one article upthread said her friends/acquaintances were concerned because she didn't come back at midnight as she'd said.

KOIN News ‏@KOINNews 21h
Friends want officials to resume the search for a naked woman missing in Canyon Creek http://tinyurl.com/k57drrt

“Don’t give up on her please,” her friend Alex Scory told KOIN 6 News. “Just keep searching. Do not give up on her.”

Scory and another friend, Kiana Haynes, were planning to go on the “spiritual quest” with Kelly — or Anu, as they call her — and said she went to “completely let go of her ego.”

But she left the Canyon Creek campground north of Yacolt around 5 p.m. Sunday without telling them.

“She invited us on this quest with her, but she didn’t let us know before she left,” Haynes said. Her friends said she intended to head west into the forest.

“She went out there with nothing but a compass and a knife and a fanny pack,”
Scory said. “It’s very strange, but she went out on a mission, a huge mission.”
snipped

So...how are they able to describe what she was (wasn't) wearing if she went off without telling anyone?

There's something very wonky about this whole story. Sadly, I don't think things bode well for this young girl.

Perhaps they saw her walk away, heading west as it says, but not knowing this was formher quest.

I think it's very possible she has left the area entirely and, has continued on her journey.....still very puzzling bc she has nothing and wearing nothing...if she is ok and continuing she NEEDS to call her family to let them know she is safe.

They shouldn't have stopped the search unless they know she isn't in the area anymore, search needs to be continued. Also shouldn't matter if she was naked, clothed, tripping balls, drunk, stone sober, smoked weed whatever, people get lost and stuck in the woods and they need to be found.

Perhaps they saw her walk away, heading west as it says, but not knowing this was formher quest.

Like, they maybe saw her from a distance? How did they know she had the knife and compass, then? (And when did she say she'd return at midnight if she left without telling them?)
Officials say the 19-year-old, who calls herself “Anu,” told acquaintances she was camping with that she was going on a “spiritual quest” at 5 p.m. Sunday but didn’t return at midnight as promised.
http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021167792_nakedhikerxml.html

And here it says her friends/acquaintances said she told them she was leaving at 5 PM. Slightly different versions keep coming out...reminds me of the variations Leila Fowler's brother had for his story. Were the friends in the KOIN video (Alex Scory and Kiana Haynes) also at the campground when she walked off?

KOIN News ‏@KOINNews 21h
Friends want officials to resume the search for a naked woman missing in Canyon Creek http://tinyurl.com/k57drrt

But she left the Canyon Creek campground north of Yacolt around 5 p.m. Sunday without telling them.

[/I]

It has also been mentioned in msm that the police search dogs lost her scent on a nearby dirt road.

IMO that with Maureen leaving the campsite in daylight that someone, like another camper in the campground, saw this 19-year-old pretty girl naked walking into the woods, drove their vehicle to the dirt road Maureen had to cross and then abducted her.

I'm gonna look into this campground a little more to see if I can determine the distance of the campsites from each other.

I found her You Tube acct. Not sure if this is 100% ok to post but I'm sure a mod will let me know if I did a no no.

http://youtu.be/3i5mArZP0MQ

Lots of videos on her acct. the last one uploaded only 6 days ago.

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Search-to-resume-for--naked-woman-211615501.html

Glad they are going to search again for her tomorrow.

From what her friends and family have said here and there on comments, fb's she is a strong woman and it would seem that most people that knew her knew she really wanted to do this quest.

Her brother has stated that she has been sober for 8 months and doesn't smoke and is definitely not doing any drugs. I thought many of the vision/spiritual quests involved some sort of peyote, hauaska etc but if you have ever done a fast...a water one or minimal calories..you do get clarity, your senses actually get more acute...colors sharper, smells more clear....(takes about 3 days to work past the hunger) then you don't really even care to much about eating. OT I never do those kinds of fasts anymore I only do juice fasts now twice a year...have learned how hard it is on a body to completely stop eating..

Anyway that all said. I'm so very scared for her. The elements...animals...injury...low temps....so many things that could happen to her. Many of the locals say how difficult the terrain is down in that canyon.

I hope they find her tomorrow...alive and okay....

Something seems odd to me about this. Ok, even more odd than the fact that she was naked.

Why a fanny pack? Why a compass and a knife? I haven't seen anyone under the age of 60 use a fanny pack in probably 15 years. A messenger bag, a backpack or a crossbody purse, sure, but a fanny pack? And if it was ok to bring a fanny pack, why were clothes not ok? I'd be less confused if she wandered off naked with nothing at all.

That being said, there is a pagan tradition of being naked in the forest. Or, as the pagans euphemistically call it, skyclad.

MOO I believe the friends that said she was sober --- this to me seems like someone who was probably using the drug-culture to cover up some demons .... without drugs, people also do crazy things.

Although an illegal consumption and minor drug charges are not out of the norm for any 19 year old really. I must say the hippie culture is a lot different from an actual spiritual culture --- hippies do things for fun and to let go, not so much a "life purpose" .

I can see a number of my friends doing this on drugs and sober (although not naked I must say) --- i hope she is found soon!

Something seems odd to me about this. Ok, even more odd than the fact that she was naked.

Why a fanny pack? Why a compass and a knife? I haven't seen anyone under the age of 60 use a fanny pack in probably 15 years. A messenger bag, a backpack or a crossbody purse, sure, but a fanny pack? And if it was ok to bring a fanny pack, why were clothes not ok? I'd be less confused if she wandered off naked with nothing at all.

That being said, there is a pagan tradition of being naked in the forest. Or, as the pagans euphemistically call it, skyclad.

a lot of hikers/runners/joggers use fanny packs still....you can't do athletic things w/ a purse, backpack, etc. ---i lot of bikers (10-speed, not motorcycles lol) use them as well. It is strange w/ just a compass and knife --- when i go hiking i do take a knife for my own sense of security, but that's just me

http://www.columbian.com/news/2013/jun/11/search-missing-naked-vancouver-woman-continues-tod/

One of the comments made on the above article is from a friend of her brother who said that she did a lot of drugs in the past but has been sober the last year. But obviously since she didn't pass the drug test, she's still using something.

I'd be willing to bet she failed the marijuana test. Mary stays in your system forever and it's legal in Washington. But she could still get in trouble because she was ordered to stay sober by the court

After watching a few of her youtube videos, I came to the conclusion that this young woman is very special. She radiates sincerity and warmth, even on camera, and I am seriously rooting for her. Please, please let this case have a happy ending.

I'd be willing to bet she failed the marijuana test. Mary stays in your system forever and it's legal in Washington. But she could still get in trouble because she was ordered to stay sober by the court

(BBM)

Not true, and the length of time that it is detectable varies greatly depending on which method of testing is used.

(BBM)

Not true, and the length of time that it is detectable varies greatly depending on which method of testing is used.

The forever was hyperbole. It stays in your system for 1-3 months depending on the testing and how much fat you have in your system (Morbidly obese people can test positive for marijuana far longer than super skinny people) In fact, morbidly obese people can test positive something like 6 months from the last time they smoked

I checked in hoping she had turned up. :sigh: IMO she used poor judgment but you shouldn't have to die for that. Hope she is well and found soon.

I don't see how she could survive at this point, in the woods.

“Spiritual Quest” search suspended

Officials suspended search efforts on Saturday for missing 19 year old Maureen Kelly from Vancouver, Wash., after an exhaustive search operation in the dense forest of the Gifford Pinchot National Forest.

[snip]

Approximately 75 search volunteers from 17 Search and Rescue participated in the day long search, said Skamania County Undersheriff Dave Cox.

After searching nearly four square mile area, there was no trace of Kelly.

[snip]

Deputies will routinely continue to patrol the area and detectives will continue to investigate any tips or leads that may develop.

Search fails, Maureen Kelly family ‘heartbroken’

[snip]

A search dog tracked Kelly’s scent across a creek, but that scent ended at a nearby road.

“You know, someone may have picked her up,” Cox said. “I mean you could run with this and write a novel off it being from the law enforcement side of things. We think of all the scenarios.”

They have no reason to suspect foul play. But it’s a possibility she was injured.

Kelly’s family said they will keep looking for her.

“It’s just heartbreaking to have to keep searching and you know nothing.”

http://www.koin.com/2013/06/15/search-fails-maureen-kelly-family-heartbroken/

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member