Found Deceased WA - Meshay Melendez, 27 & daughter, Layla Stewart, 8, Vancouver, 12 Mar 2023 *vehicle found Mar 19*

Warren first used Google Maps between 6:30 and 6:32 p.m. March 13 to view and scroll around the area near Southeast 356th Avenue in Washougal, according to the affidavit. That spot was within a mile of the site where the bodies were found.

About 8:30 p.m. that night, the phone showed a search in Apple Maps for “SE Woodings Road.” Twenty minutes later, the phone saved a parking location at the exact coordinates where Melendez and Stewart were found, the affidavit said. Apple Maps prompts through CarPlay, which connects vehicles to a driver’s phone.

Less than 10 minutes later, an Apple Maps trip launched from that location to Warren’s address in the 3700 block of Northeast 109th Avenue in Vancouver, the affidavit said.

That’s where police ended up arresting Warren on March 19 at the home where he lived with his wife. Detective Dustin Goudschaal, who wrote the affidavit, noted that while Warren is married to someone else, investigators believe he was in an intimate, ongoing relationship with Melendez.
he lived w his wife! what!

APR 7, 2023
[...]

Warren had been scheduled for trial but before that happened, COVID hit and in-person trials were suspended for almost two years.

[...]

She [Jefferson County AR Chief Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Cymber Tadlock] said prosecutors have more than 20 witnesses and prosecutors have to find a week to conduct the trial that works for the state, the defense and the special judge who will hear the case since all the judges here withdrew to avoid the appearance of a conflict of interest since Warren’s father is a former attorney.

With murder cases in both Washington State and Pine Bluff, Tadlock and Prosecuting Attorney S. Kyle Hunter were asked which case will be heard first.

Tadlock told Deltaplex news that aggravated first-degree in Washington State is comparable to capital murder in Arkansas. The difference is that Washington State does not have a death penalty.

APR 13, 2023
[...]

Meshay Melendez, 27, and her 7-year-old daughter Layla Stewart will be buried on Wednesday, April 19.

They will be laid to rest together in one casket, according to the National Women’s Coalition Against Violence & Exploitation. The funeral will be private - and is not open to the public.

Police have charged the ex-boyfriend of Melendez with the murders of the mother and daughter. He is due back in court on Monday.

APR 17, 2023
Kirkland Warren pleaded not guilty Monday to aggravated murder charges in connection with the fatal shootings of his former girlfriend, Meshay “Karmen” Melendez, and her daughter, Layla Stewart.

In addition to the murder charges, Warren, 27, of Vancouver was arraigned in Clark County Superior Court on one count of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

Judge Suzan Clark ordered Warren to remain held without bail after denying the defense’s request to set a bail amount. A readiness hearing is scheduled for June 2, with the trial starting June 12.

APR 19, 2023
The family of Meshay Melendez and her daughter Layla Stewart buried them together Wednesday, nearly one month after they were found dead in a Washougal ditch on March 22.

The invite-only funeral took place at 3 p.m. at Evergreen Memorial Gardens in Vancouver, where Melendez, 27, and Stewart, 7, were buried together in one casket.

“Layla and Meshay’s beautiful smiles will forever remain in our hearts,” said Ricardo Melendez, Meshay’s brother. “They are together always in heaven as they were together as one here on earth.”

APR 17, 2023
Kirkland Warren pleaded not guilty Monday to aggravated murder charges in connection with the fatal shootings of his former girlfriend, Meshay “Karmen” Melendez, and her daughter, Layla Stewart.

In addition to the murder charges, Warren, 27, of Vancouver was arraigned in Clark County Superior Court on one count of second-degree unlawful possession of a firearm.

Judge Suzan Clark ordered Warren to remain held without bail after denying the defense’s request to set a bail amount. A readiness hearing is scheduled for June 2, with the trial starting June 12.

good, he was out on bail and killed two more people.

APR 28, 2023
The wife of the man charged in the March slayings of Vancouver mother and daughter Meshay “Karmen” Melendez and Layla Stewart is accused of stealing money while working at a Portland credit union and transferring it to other accounts, including one in Melendez’s name.

Monet Tyler-Warren, 26, is charged in Multnomah County Circuit Court in Oregon with first-degree aggravated theft, first-degree theft, aggravated identity theft and identity theft. She is scheduled to be arraigned on indictment July 28, court records show.

[...]

Tyler-Warren is married to Kirkland Warren ... his trial is scheduled for June 12.

[...]

The records showed on Nov. 21, Tyler-Warren’s credentials were used to alter the information, including the password, email and phone number for one of the accounts. It also showed $20,000 was transferred to an account belonging to Melendez, court records state.

The employee also provided police with surveillance photos that showed Melendez opening an account at the credit union in November. The surveillance footage also captured Melendez exiting Tyler-Warren’s vehicle, according to the affidavit.

[...]

APR 28, 2023
[...]

According to the documents, Monet Tyler-Warren, 26, the legal wife of Kirkland Warren, admitted to investigators that she had taken around $25,000 from two customer bank accounts at her workplace Trailhead Credit Union. Tyler-Warren told the investigators Kirkland Warren had instructed her to do so so he could steal the money.

Authorities say that on October 14, 2022, Tyler-Warren had used her employee credentials to transfer $4,500 from a customer account into a different account,

Bank surveillance footage from November 2022 purportedly shows Melendez exiting Warren's vehicle and entering Trailhead Credit Union to create an account under her name.

Then, on November 21, Tyler-Warren allegedly transferred $20,000 from a customer's account into the bank account registered under the name of Meshay Melendez.

[...]

MAY 25, 2023
The man accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend and her 7-year-old daughter is set to go on trial in September.

Kirkland Warren was in Clark County court Thursday for a procedural hearing.

[...]

Warren is set to be back in court in August and right before the trial.

APR 28, 2023
[...]

According to the documents, Monet Tyler-Warren, 26, the legal wife of Kirkland Warren, admitted to investigators that she had taken around $25,000 from two customer bank accounts at her workplace Trailhead Credit Union. Tyler-Warren told the investigators Kirkland Warren had instructed her to do so so he could steal the money.

Authorities say that on October 14, 2022, Tyler-Warren had used her employee credentials to transfer $4,500 from a customer account into a different account,

Bank surveillance footage from November 2022 purportedly shows Melendez exiting Warren's vehicle and entering Trailhead Credit Union to create an account under her name.

Then, on November 21, Tyler-Warren allegedly transferred $20,000 from a customer's account into the bank account registered under the name of Meshay Melendez.

[...]

Is that the reason he killed Meshay and her sweet little girl? Was she going to tell on him? Or maybe she wasn’t giving him the money that was transferred to her account?

Did his legal wife know about Meshay?

Is that the reason he killed Meshay and her sweet little girl? Was she going to tell on him? Or maybe she wasn’t giving him the money that was transferred to her account?

Both of those reasons fall in the likely category, IMO. Hopefully we'll learn more at the wife's arraignment in July.

The Apr 28 article above says, "The employee also provided police with surveillance photos that showed Melendez opening an account at the credit union in November. The surveillance footage also captured Melendez exiting Tyler-Warren’s vehicle, according to the affidavit."

Not clear as to who was in Tyler-Warren's vehicle with Meshay - KW or his wife. MOO

Both of those reasons fall in the likely category, IMO. Hopefully we'll learn more at the wife's arraignment in July.

The Apr 28 article above says, "The employee also provided police with surveillance photos that showed Melendez opening an account at the credit union in November. The surveillance footage also captured Melendez exiting Tyler-Warren’s vehicle, according to the affidavit."

Not clear as to who was in Tyler-Warren's vehicle with Meshay - KW or his wife. MOO
I have to go back and read but I thought his wife was in another state back east, not in Washington state?

ETA I see wife worked at a Portland CU. So when did this guy come to the area? Wasn’t his unresolved court case from back east somewhere?

I have to go back and read but I thought his wife was in another state back east, not in Washington state?

ETA I see wife worked at a Portland CU. So when did this guy come to the area? Wasn’t his unresolved court case from back east somewhere?
His pending murder case is in Jefferson County, Arkansas. The murder occurred in 2017 and he was charged in 2018. I'm not sure when he arrived in Washington, but it had to have been in 2020 or prior. Vancouver police were investigating him for gun possession that year. MOO

ETA: Timeline in this article - Hundreds Gather to Mourn, Honor Meshay Melendez and Daughter Layla

You can search for the missing woman by her alias mentioned in the news articles ("Karmen" Melendez - this is the name she uses on her FB profile) on Facebook and sift through the posts other people have made, should come up pretty quickly. I have found news articles elaborating on some events that occurred before Meshay (Karmen) and Layla went missing but because they do not explicitly mention either missing person, and the news articles for the missing people do not mention a POI or the prior events, I cannot share additional details here yet. There is a post on Meshay's (Karmen) FB page from the day after she was last seen. Hopefully that could indicate that she is hiding out with her child somewhere and has just turned off all devices until she feels safe, but I think it may be necessary to get search parties going to canvas all local culverts, ditches, and parks.
Bbm, if "you can't" meaning links to info in MSM, that means you can't post about it, or possible POIs. At all. Or hint. At all. jme.

His pending murder case is in Jefferson County, Arkansas. The murder occurred in 2017 and he was charged in 2018. I'm not sure when he arrived in Washington, but it had to have been in 2020 or prior. Vancouver police were investigating him for gun possession that year. MOO

ETA: Timeline in this article - Hundreds Gather to Mourn, Honor Meshay Melendez and Daughter Layla
Thanks! Sorry Pommy, our internet went out at home this weekend and my cell data was slower than (Verizon) molasses :mad:

Now I remember some of the details. TW had previously shot at Karmen’s home last December and was barred by a court order from having contact with her. He had already been charged with a drive-by shooting, second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, gross misdemeanor harassment with bodily injury and two counts of fourth-degree assault. That's just what WA had on him. How he was allowed to leave the State of AR escapes me. Isn't NCIC supposed to prevent this type of thing from happening?

Thanks! Sorry Pommy, our internet went out at home this weekend and my cell data was slower than (Verizon) molasses :mad:

Now I remember some of the details. TW had previously shot at Karmen’s home last December and was barred by a court order from having contact with her. He had already been charged with a drive-by shooting, second-degree assault with a deadly weapon, gross misdemeanor harassment with bodily injury and two counts of fourth-degree assault. That's just what WA had on him. How he was allowed to leave the State of AR escapes me. Isn't NCIC supposed to prevent this type of thing from happening?
Oh, ugh. Hate it when that happens! Glad you made it back. :)

He met bail in Arkansas. Washington had advised the prosecutor in Arkansas that KW had been arrested but Arkansas didn't receive the paperwork to revoke his bond there until about mid-March. In the meantime, he bonded out in Washington. MOO

Yes.
She never had control of that debit card, Kirk and Monet did. Yes, she got some money out of it, but not much. And yes, other people knew about the money and convinced her to come clean before it bit her in the rear. I don't think she got to that point, because the court was not upholding the RO and since he was out, she was terrified of him. She was too afraid to speak up because the court had already proven to her they will not protect her. She knew about the murder in Arkansas, all of his friends knew, it was us "adults" (I am same age as her Mom) that did not know and would have def stepped in far more than they did if they had known.

Meshay had a family member staying with her that kept kirk away for the last few months she was alive, but that person was out of the area for three days when this occurred, and Kirk knew her family/friend was not present.
He knew his time was limited and he took his chance, a lot of people think Monet was present when he killed the girls, but that is pure gossip at this point.
I know far too much about this case, I had no idea when this happened that Meshay was related to pretty much my entire childhood friend group
Please delete if I posted anything that i'm not supposed to. This murder has affected so many people locally, they are hurting so badly about this and always will.

Oh, ugh. Hate it when that happens! Glad you made it back. :)

He met bail in Arkansas. Washington had advised the prosecutor in Arkansas that KW had been arrested but Arkansas didn't receive the paperwork to revoke his bond there until about mid-March. In the meantime, he bonded out in Washington. MOO
Actually, the prosecutor did not bother to run his name nationally until after he had been released, and after he broke the RO from jail.
Any quotes that they had no choice are false. Our courts are still on half covid protocol, which means most of the office staff are still not in office, they are at home. All our DV advocates work from home. Court phone operators and prosecution staff work from home still, more than anyone realizes.

The minute Arkansas was notified, Meshay and Layla were targeted. He blamed Meshay for calling the police and said he would never go back to Arkansas under any circumstance.
Our county has a big problem with DV issues being lied about in court and the courts not following through. The judge in my own case , the same judge that let Kirk out, "forgot" to sign my Ro two years ago. I had been asking for a copy for years and they finally admitted to me it did not exist. That the warrants my ex has mean nothing because he has been face to face with police several times, has warrants for book and hold, and police chose to not arrest.

Even after the prosecutor found out about the murder charge in Arkansas, they did not tell the judge, who has come out and publicly stated that if they knew, they would not have released him.
They did not even bother to mention that he called and threatened meshay from jail, they didn't bother to request a GPS monitor under the Tiffany Hill law, they simply allowed him to pay his bail and leave.

This is squarely on the court system, for failing the first victim, they created two more. And it keeps happening. David Giese was killed by his spouse a few weeks after the girls, but he did not get any press. As a 60 year old gay man I guess the headline doesn't sell as much IDK.

AUG 3, 2023
[...]

In a hearing earlier this week, both the prosecution and defense attorneys expressed that more time was needed to prepare for Warren's trial.

"We do not have a medical examiner's report back. We have, there's DNA on the firearm used in this case that we need to have DNA tested," a prosecutor said. "So, there's very little likelihood that we'll have all the evidence ready for Sept. 11."

On Thursday, they set the new trial date for January 8.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back