jtfolden

Reaction score
thompson_michael.jpg

MICHAEL DAVID THOMPSON

Yakima, Washington
Birthdate: Nov 29, 1990
Missing Since: Feb 04, 2018
Height and Weight: 5'11, 201 pounds
Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Thompson has a scar on his right hand, and his tongue is pierced. He has tattoos on his back, both shoulders, both upper arms and on his left arm.
NamUs: ???
Facebook: Michael David Thompson
Charley Project: Michael David Thompson – The Charley Project

He initially set out from Yakima, WA intending to pick up his girlfriend and then drive to his mother's home in Lewiston, ID. His car was found wrecked / abandoned up a snow bank Feb 5th, 2018 on a road that had been closed for the winter. He has never been found and his cousin states that LE did little-to-no searching for him.

Media coverage:
Yakima man reported as a missing person

Rough Timeline:
Feb 4, 2018: Michael is last seen in Yakima, Washington.

Late Feb 4 / early Feb 5, 2018: Driving his girlfriend’s car, Michael left home sometime in the night. He intended to travel from Yakima to Bellingham WA to pickup his girlfriend and then continue on to Lewiston, Idaho where his mother lives.

Feb 5, 2018 4AM: At around 4AM Michael makes his last call and sends his last message on Facebook Messenger.

Feb 5, 2018: WSDOT Reported to State patrol they found the vehicle 10-20 ft up a snow bank along 410, near Naches, Washington (at mile post 74 right before Morse Creek near Morse Creek gate) and no one was seen near the vehicle in the area. This road had been *closed* since NOVEMBER due to winter weather conditions.

Shortly after he went missing, his mother filed a missing persons report on him. However, there was a mix up and the police entered the report as if he were missing out of Lewiston, Idaho (where his mother lives) instead of Yakima WA. So when WSDOT found the vehicle it was not relayed to Idaho to connect the 2 cases.

<modsnip - FB quote>

It apparently takes some times for police and family to connect the 2 cases (Michael being missing, and the crashed vehicle). Yakima Police tell mother and cousin that given he's been missing since Feb they see no point in sending a search team to where the vehicle was found. They further state that if he left his vehicle to walk along side the road he would not have made it far due to severe weather conditions in the area.

<modsnip - FB quote>

April 9, 2018: The road is *still closed*. Family arranges search party.
<modsnip - FB quotes>

It doesn't appear the search by the family turned up anything, though I can find no posts related to that. His cousin told me this week that he is still missing and LE has done very little.

Notes:
*Car was totaled, impounded, and eventually destroyed. I’m not clear if this was done before or after the two cases were connected.
*some things list his height as 5’11” however, his cousin says he is 5’9”.
*There is a HUGE info gap here regarding the girlfriend, the crashed car, and the length of time it took to connect everything. It makes NO sense.
*If you browse his and the girlfriend’s FB pages, there is some reference to rehab and drug usage. It appears he was in recovery and it doesn’t appear this was a factor in his disappearance at the time…
*in several random comments, family members seem to indicate the girlfriend was uncooperative.
*His sister has a FB page and apparently has posted updates in the past but I have not yet found it.

<modsnip - TOS violation to post family/friends’ FB pages>

Last edited by a moderator:
Initial thoughts are he succumbed to the elements after the accident near Naches.
However, there are too many questions still hanging:
  • Was it known if it was a one-car accident?
  • Did the car indicate he'd been injured in the accident (broken windshield, blood inside, etc) ... could he have died of his injuries after leaving the vehicle?
  • Could he have been picked up by THE other or ANOTHER driver?
  • Who were his 4am call & fb messenger directed to and what was content? Where is phone now (no mention of pings)?
  • Did he leave belongings behind in the wrecked car, or was his overnight bag (or whatever) missing too? To me, this would indicate if he left for help, or was offered a ride & could bring his stuff.
  • wth would anyone say "he's dead to me" when someone's missing?? gotta be something there ... maybe gf should join WS

Last edited:
Initial thoughts are he succumbed to the elements after the accident near Naches.

This is my assumption, too. I don't really suspect foul-play, it just seems like LE really dropped the ball here.

Nothing I've read suggests another car was involved. I can't remember where but someone suggested he may not have realized that particular road was closed when he tried heading that way.
Did the car indicate he'd been injured in the accident (broken windshield, blood inside, etc) ... could he have died of his injuries after leaving the vehicle?

Unknown, though it sounds like the car was totaled and eventually destroyed.

Could he have been picked up by THE other or ANOTHER driver?

Unknown it seems...

Who were his 4am call & fb messenger directed to and what was content? Where is phone now (no mention of pings)?

I wondered this, as well... I doubt anyone knows about pings given it doesn't seem like LE investigated much, if at all.

Did he leave belongings behind in the wrecked car, or was his overnight bag (or whatever) missing too? To me, this would indicate if he left for help, or was offered a ride & could bring his stuff.

I've not seen anything that mentions this....

wth would anyone say "he's dead to me" when someone's missing?? gotta be something there ... maybe gf should join WS

I thought it was in bad taste, too. However, something the Ex-GF said about this not being his old BS makes me think he might have been unreliable in the past.

If WSDOT found the gf's car abandoned on Feb 5 then you would *THINK* law enforcement would have contacted her about the crash by the 13th when she posted that message. If they hadn't though; I guess I can understand feeling pissed off thinking my bf ran off with my car.

I did ask the cousin on FB and it sounds like, as far as she knows, LE did little-to-no searching of the area around the crash.

It certainly took them long enough to get the NamUs page up.

This is my assumption, too. I don't really suspect foul-play, it just seems like LE really dropped the ball here.

Nothing I've read suggests another car was involved. I can't remember where but someone suggested he may not have realized that particular road was closed when he tried heading that way.

Unknown it seems...

I wondered this, as well... I doubt anyone knows about pings given it doesn't seem like LE investigated much, if at all.

I thought it was in bad taste, too. However, something the Ex-GF said about this not being his old BS makes me think he might have been unreliable in the past.

If WSDOT found the gf's car abandoned on Feb 5 then you would *THINK* law enforcement would have contacted her about the crash by the 13th when she posted that message. If they hadn't though; I guess I can understand feeling pissed off thinking my bf ran off with my car.

I did ask the cousin on FB and it sounds like, as far as she knows, LE did little-to-no searching of the area around the crash.
I found a bag with his cell phone and 2 others in it near the crash.

I f
  • Did the car indicate he'd been injured in the accident (broken windshield, blood inside, etc) ... could he have died of his injuries after leaving the vehicle?
  • Could he have been picked up by THE other or ANOTHER driver?
  • Who were his 4am call & fb messenger directed to and what was content? Where is phone now (no mention of pings)?
  • Did he leave belongings behind in the wrecked car, or was his overnight bag (or whatever) missing too? To me, this would indicate if he left for help, or was offered a ride & could bring his stuff.
  • wth would anyone say "he's dead to me" when someone's missing?? gotta be something there ... maybe gf should join WS
I found a backpack with his phone and 2 other phones near the crash site.

Unknown it seems...

I was near crash site and found backpack with his phone and ID about a mile away in the woods sitting on a log.

thompson_michael.jpg

MICHAEL DAVID THOMPSON

Yakima, Washington
Birthdate: Nov 29, 1990
Missing Since: Feb 04, 2018
Height and Weight: 5'11, 201 pounds
Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Thompson has a scar on his right hand, and his tongue is pierced. He has tattoos on his back, both shoulders, both upper arms and on his left arm.
NamUs: ???
Facebook: Michael David Thompson
Charley Project: Michael David Thompson – The Charley Project

He initially set out from Yakima, WA intending to pick up his girlfriend and then drive to his mother's home in Lewiston, ID. His car was found wrecked / abandoned up a snow bank Feb 5th, 2018 on a road that had been closed for the winter. He has never been found and his cousin states that LE did little-to-no searching for him.

Media coverage:
Yakima man reported as a missing person

Rough Timeline:
Feb 4, 2018: Michael is last seen in Yakima, Washington.

Late Feb 4 / early Feb 5, 2018: Driving his girlfriend’s car, Michael left home sometime in the night. He intended to travel from Yakima to Bellingham WA to pickup his girlfriend and then continue on to Lewiston, Idaho where his mother lives.

Feb 5, 2018 4AM: At around 4AM Michael makes his last call and sends his last message on Facebook Messenger.

Feb 5, 2018: WSDOT Reported to State patrol they found the vehicle 10-20 ft up a snow bank along 410, near Naches, Washington (at mile post 74 right before Morse Creek near Morse Creek gate) and no one was seen near the vehicle in the area. This road had been *closed* since NOVEMBER due to winter weather conditions.

Shortly after he went missing, his mother filed a missing persons report on him. However, there was a mix up and the police entered the report as if he were missing out of Lewiston, Idaho (where his mother lives) instead of Yakima WA. So when WSDOT found the vehicle it was not relayed to Idaho to connect the 2 cases.

<modsnip - FB quote>

It apparently takes some times for police and family to connect the 2 cases (Michael being missing, and the crashed vehicle). Yakima Police tell mother and cousin that given he's been missing since Feb they see no point in sending a search team to where the vehicle was found. They further state that if he left his vehicle to walk along side the road he would not have made it far due to severe weather conditions in the area.

<modsnip - FB quote>

April 9, 2018: The road is *still closed*. Family arranges search party.
<modsnip - FB quotes>

It doesn't appear the search by the family turned up anything, though I can find no posts related to that. His cousin told me this week that he is still missing and LE has done very little.

Notes:
*Car was totaled, impounded, and eventually destroyed. I’m not clear if this was done before or after the two cases were connected.
*some things list his height as 5’11” however, his cousin says he is 5’9”.
*There is a HUGE info gap here regarding the girlfriend, the crashed car, and the length of time it took to connect everything. It makes NO sense.
*If you browse his and the girlfriend’s FB pages, there is some reference to rehab and drug usage. It appears he was in recovery and it doesn’t appear this was a factor in his disappearance at the time…
*in several random comments, family members seem to indicate the girlfriend was uncooperative.
*His sister has a FB page and apparently has posted updates in the past but I have not yet found it.

<modsnip - TOS violation to post family/friends’ FB pages>
Calling All Reddit Detectives!!! Unsolved Murder Clue!! : mystery

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419