WA WA - Misty Copsey, 14, Tacoma, 17 Sept 1992

I've always been interested in this case, and I definitely think the 18-year-old Rheuban Schmidt was involved somehow. If he didn't kill Misty, he left her in the hands of someone who did... imo.

I hope the hairs lead to an arrest.

I agree Syttende. I think Rheuban either killed her or his uncle did while Rheuban was there. Either way I think he was involved.

The other main suspect, Robert Leslie, is also a good suspect so I wouldn't be too shocked if the hairs go back to him but my gut tells me it was Rheuban.

My first thought was that Misty had caught the eye of a carnie...

I think that is a very good possibility too. Not to be judgemental but to be a little judgemental I think we all know that some carnies who are hired do have the most desirable backgrounds. Plus, they are transient so it would be very easy to commit a crime and be gone the next day. If that is the case then we can only hope this person has been arrested on other charges and his DNA is in CODIS.

I think that is a very good possibility too. Not to be judgemental but to be a little judgemental I think we all know that some carnies who are hired do have the most desirable backgrounds. Plus, they are transient so it would be very easy to commit a crime and be gone the next day. If that is the case then we can only hope this person has been arrested on other charges and his DNA is in CODIS.

Sorry to quote myself but to much time has lapsed and I cannot edit. I meant to say that some carnies who are hired do NOT have the most desirable backgrounds......

Wasn't Tommy Lynn Sells a carnie?

Yes, he was! He was arrested in May 1992 for a brutal sexual assault - he beat the woman half to death with a piano bench but she survived and testified against him. Unbelievably he was let out of prison in 1997 and promptly murdered several times again, one of the victims was a young girl from my hometown of Springfield, MO. I had done some research on his previously because of his connection to Springfield I was interested to see if he was in the area when 3 women vanished from a home in Springfield = 2 teens and a mother. Their thread is in the subforum here. He couldn't have been connected because he was in prison.

Misty on the other hand vanished before Tommy was arrested. Tommy had traveled and confessed to killings all over the Western US. Given his history of boasting about his crimes I would think he would have confessed or bragged about Misty's killing by now if he did it. I hope he didn't get ahold of Misty. I can't think of a much worse fate then to fall into the hands of that monster. He was a brutal killer. The murders of the Dardeen Family make my stomach turn. Poor Mrs. Dardeen actually gave birth during the attack. I can't even begin to imagine that scene and the horror that occured that day in Illinois.

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/tommy_sells/index.html

I was just pointing out that it's not bad to suspect a carnie. Then again, we have bad preachers, teachers, bishops..... it takes all kinds.

I see what you are saying. You're right - there are bad people in all professions, all social classes, races, etc.

Tick-tock - waiting on those darn DNA results.

I was reading about Robert Lee Yates who killed several women in the Spokane area throughout the 90's. I wonder if it is possible Misty was one of his victims?

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/yates/bodies_1.html

I just got done reading the article that The News Tribune did. I also read through the forum boards, and that ? was asked. According to the reporter, Yates was looked into and there was no way that he would have been able to commit the crime against Misty. I am assuming that this info came from the police, just not sure which LE the info came from. Hope this helps!

M ~

Puyallup, test evidence in Misty Copsey case already

The News Tribune

Nearly 17 years have passed since Misty Copsey disappeared during the Puyallup Fair, 16 years since her jeans, sock and underwear turned up in a ditch near Highway 410.

Puyallup police have known for two years that six hairs found in those jeans were suitable for DNA testing, and they’ve known for at least a month that they’d probably be asked to publicly account for why they hadn’t requested that test.

What are police waiting for?...More...

Puyallup, test evidence in Misty Copsey case already

The News Tribune

Nearly 17 years have passed since Misty Copsey disappeared during the Puyallup Fair, 16 years since her jeans, sock and underwear turned up in a ditch near Highway 410.

Puyallup police have known for two years that six hairs found in those jeans were suitable for DNA testing, and they’ve known for at least a month that they’d probably be asked to publicly account for why they hadn’t requested that test.

What are police waiting for?...More...

:furious: I can't believe they haven't sent that in for testing yet!!!!! Well....I can believe it. I just don't want to. There are no good excuses for not getting this done. Test it, THEN ask questions.

With DNA test done, police begin search for Misty Copsey’s killer

A long-delayed DNA test is finally complete, but Puyallup police have more hurdles to clear in their rebooted investigation of the 1992 disappearance of Misty Copsey.

[snip]

The DNA sample, recovered in 1993 from a pair of jeans identified as Misty’s, offers a potential forensic link that could lead police to answers. On the other hand, it could lead nowhere.

Police can’t be sure until state crime lab technicians enter the sample into a federal database controlled by the FBI: The CODIS database.

More: http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/crime/story/904026.html

Bump

This month will mark 18 years that Misty has been missing. Please come home soon.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2301/0/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: Available and entered
DNA: Sample submitted-tests complete
Fingerprints: NA

Attachments

• Misty Donna Copsey.bmp
    52.8 KB · Views: 58
Bump

This month will mark 18 years that Misty has been missing. Please come home soon.

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/2301/0/
NamUs Profile:
Dental: Available and entered
DNA: Sample submitted-tests complete
Fingerprints: NA

I second this, as I grew up in Puyallup. It was a fantastic town, despite some of the recent going ons, though I haven't been there since 2003. I've always been baffled about this case, and like many others, I too think it was her boyfriend Rheuban. I check in often on this case now that things have been moving, and I feel horrible for Misty and her family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back