WA WA - Mount Si, WhtMale 30-60, UP14867, camping gear, glasses, Nike shoes, knife, Jun'15

attachment.php
attachment.php
One potential match I found that seems to have a strong resemblance is Curtis Hill, missing from Douglas County, OR since 1995. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/11871/119
The available demographics seem to fit however there is very little information available on him and I do not know if he wore glasses. Although there are mountains there, Southwestern Oregon is generally about 10 degrees warmer than the Puget Sound area year round which could fit for him being unprepared.

I once worked on a construction project near the Mount Si Trailhead. I remember hikers and visitors were in and out all day, especially when it was nice out. This makes me wonder have LE looked at records of any abandoned vehicles found in the area in '94-'95 and beyond? I don't remember seeing any public transportation out there. I know it would be a very tedious task but I would presume there could have been a vehicle associated with this Doe if he went there alone.

Attachments

• UP_14867-1.jpg
    UP_14867-1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 113
  • img_20453.jpg
    img_20453.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 23
  • img_20453.jpg
    img_20453.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 107
Yes, abandoned vehicles/towed vehicles were checked (amazingly the records were still around) and there was no one unaccounted for from that. I forget how far back they looked but it was at least 94.

I'll take a look at this and talk to the detective. With no dental listed that may make it tougher (dental is very quick to get a match or exclude). I see they have DNA. I am not sure what the situation is on the remains.

I'm not sure why I didn't spy this one in my prior searches. Time period, age, height are good matches for sure.
On the glasses -- who knows, might be on OR DMV record.

As for SW Oregon and weather, plenty of people who live up here aren't prepared for the weather so anything is possible.

Thank you for passing this one on!

Dumb Q - how off-trail was this body found? Mount Si gets a lot of traffic.

Dumb Q - how off-trail was this body found? Mount Si gets a lot of traffic.

Off trail enough that no one stumbled on it for 20 years....

If I recall it was found between switchbacks, I can't give you a precise distance.
It is possible the subject slipped and fell during a snowstorm. With the candidate above, Feb is a good fit for time of year.

I've seen bodies off trail less than 15ft and people have not noticed them (either by sight or smell).

Yes, abandoned vehicles/towed vehicles were checked (amazingly the records were still around) and there was no one unaccounted for from that. I forget how far back they looked but it was at least 94.

I'll take a look at this and talk to the detective. With no dental listed that may make it tougher (dental is very quick to get a match or exclude). I see they have DNA. I am not sure what the situation is on the remains.

I'm not sure why I didn't spy this one in my prior searches. Time period, age, height are good matches for sure.
On the glasses -- who knows, might be on OR DMV record.

As for SW Oregon and weather, plenty of people who live up here aren't prepared for the weather so anything is possible.

Thank you for passing this one on!

Thank you for confirming that abandoned vehicle records have been already checked! I posted Curtis Hill first because of the resemblance but I found a few others with potential I can add to the list if he is ruled out. I wish there were dental records for him and more information on his circumstances. Thank you for passing this potential match along!

Long shot but missing from Seattle in 2002.

Personal effects:

Black leather billfold
Swiss Army watch

http://www.nampn.org/cases/cumming_nicholas.html
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/case_report_html/7308

Personal effects are interesting, age is good -- height is outside the 5'7-6'0 range given BUT these things are not always so exact.

I've passed this one on too.Thanks for the information!

I know the detective has been very busy (unfortunately many active homicides to investigate) but I will keep you all posted on both of these. She and another detective replied last night and I am sure they'll take a good look at the Curtis Hill case.

Process wise, they will probably contact the originating agencies, ask about dental even though it isn't listed, may go back to families on that. If there is DNA on file for the missing, I am not sure if they have taken a sample for mitochondrial DNA from the remains. If they have, then that's good there is a head start. If they haven't, there can be quite a backlog for a normal (not high) priority case like this, depending on which lab is used. At one point the FBI backlog was 7 years (it is smaller now). All of the information then goes through the state's forensic anthropologist, who consults for each county's medical examiner, to make a determination.

If they are ruled out I can post here, if there is a match I can't say anything until the medical examiner makes a public release of information, family notified etc.

I went through my list of missing males (excluding asian and black) who are not listed in NamUs, and who were missing from the Western half of the U.S. My screen picked up 67 names.

I was particularly looking for persons with similar glasses.

This guy might be one who would have slipped your screen because of his Hispanic classification and absence from NamUs. His glasses aren't clear enough to compare in fine detail, but they appear to be roughly similar.

The gap in his teeth would probably allow for a quick rule-out (or strong possible).

Juan Briones
briones_juan.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/briones_juan.html

There are a couple of things about this one that make it not as strong a match IMHO, one is the glasses don't look thick rimmed plastic (possible he had more than one set though). I'm going to wait and see what they turn up on the other two first. I do agree the teeth are distinctive.

Do you have a Namus link for this one?

There are a couple of things about this one that make it not as strong a match IMHO, one is the glasses don't look thick rimmed plastic (possible he had more than one set though). I'm going to wait and see what they turn up on the other two first. I do agree the teeth are distinctive.

Do you have a Namus link for this one?

No. As I indicated above, he is not listed in NamUs. I have a spreadsheet of MP's from all major public sites, I screened specifically for persons not listed in NamUs, because I figure that you've already exhausted your possibles from NamUs.

No. As I indicated above, he is not listed in NamUs. I have a spreadsheet of MP's from all major public sites, I screened specifically for persons not listed in NamUs, because I figure that you've already exhausted your possibles from NamUs.

Thank you, sorry I missed that. Just wondered if there was additional info.

Two more issues:
- near his tooth gap you'll notice some kind of chin mis-shape, I would assume that would have been in the reconstruction sketch if that was prominent in the skeletal remains (I am not an expert on this, just a reaction)
- manner of disappearance seems more suspicious (unless car was stolen abandoned) which doesn't fit Mt Si as much because of the amount of foot traffic. Not saying suspicious death is impossible, but for that location accidental or suicide is more likely just based on general history there.

I'll pass this on later today.

Personal effects are interesting, age is good -- height is outside the 5'7-6'0 range given BUT these things are not always so exact.

I've passed this one on too.Thanks for the information!

I know the detective has been very busy (unfortunately many active homicides to investigate) but I will keep you all posted on both of these. She and another detective replied last night and I am sure they'll take a good look at the Curtis Hill case.

Process wise, they will probably contact the originating agencies, ask about dental even though it isn't listed, may go back to families on that. If there is DNA on file for the missing, I am not sure if they have taken a sample for mitochondrial DNA from the remains. If they have, then that's good there is a head start. If they haven't, there can be quite a backlog for a normal (not high) priority case like this, depending on which lab is used. At one point the FBI backlog was 7 years (it is smaller now). All of the information then goes through the state's forensic anthropologist, who consults for each county's medical examiner, to make a determination.

If they are ruled out I can post here, if there is a match I can't say anything until the medical examiner makes a public release of information, family notified etc.

Thanks for your reply, ANZAC. I hope you find a match.

btw I read an interesting article irt matching UID decedents with mispers:

https://www.officer.com/command-hq/technology/article/10297042/taking-nothing-at-face-value

Little info on this one. Height is within estimate. Age is 4 yrs over the estimate. Glasses are similar but can't tell how similar. Not seeing many similarities elsewhere either. Ears are positioned at very different heights, different nose shapes.

175eaf2ad5a2dfe9fd60ac4520f70cad.jpeg

66d9674dada51fee6497616393dd2a3f.jpg

cdbe97d89ce78907cd6ee0e195ebca20.jpg

Thoughts on the strap on the glasses? I have worn glasses since my teens and never worn one of these. And don't think I'll have a reason to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I occasionally wore straps on my glasses, in situations where I was afraid they could fall off and the consequences for that would be bad. I could see someone doing that for a hike, you don't want your glasses flying off into who knows where.

I occasionally wore straps on my glasses, in situations where I was afraid they could fall off and the consequences for that would be bad. I could see someone doing that for a hike, you don't want your glasses flying off into who knows where.

They do tend to get knocked around a bit.
I was curious about military too? Would they more commonly wear them? Or be more likely to throw one on if they were headed to the woods?

He's planned and prepared in some ways but lacking in some really important ones (appropriate footwear)

Little info on this one. Height is within estimate. Age is 4 yrs over the estimate. Glasses are similar but can't tell how similar. Not seeing many similarities elsewhere either. Ears are positioned at very different heights, different nose shapes.

175eaf2ad5a2dfe9fd60ac4520f70cad.jpeg

Thoughts on the strap on the glasses? I have worn glasses since my teens and never worn one of these. And don't think I'll have a reason to.

Was there a link for this missing?

As to the strap on glasses.... could be someone with some kind of development disability, or someone who had a job where they liked to keep them on, or did it for the hiking (unlikely given the other gear). Certainly not super common.

A quick more general update, the Detective reminded me that if a missing case has DNA on file, CODIS should produce a match to our find, which apparently has had DNA entered into CODIS. That's not to say this is a 100.0% guarantee so they can and will also manually check.

They do tend to get knocked around a bit.
I was curious about military too? Would they more commonly wear them? Or be more likely to throw one on if they were headed to the woods?

He's planned and prepared in some ways but lacking in some really important ones (appropriate footwear)

My conclusion was this subject was completely inexperienced. We see this a lot. i.e. someone brings a machete but what they really needed was the correct shoes and a headlamp.

Was there a link for this missing?

As to the strap on glasses.... could be someone with some kind of development disability, or someone who had a job where they liked to keep them on, or did it for the hiking (unlikely given the other gear). Certainly not super common.

A quick more general update, the Detective reminded me that if a missing case has DNA on file, CODIS should produce a match to our find, which apparently has had DNA entered into CODIS. That's not to say this is a 100.0% guarantee so they can and will also manually check.

Sorry. Forgot the links

http://www.nampn.org/cases/brand_robert.html

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/8309/7/

No DNA in this one

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics