WA WA - Mount Si, WhtMale 30-60, UP14867, camping gear, glasses, Nike shoes, knife, Jun'15

Just ran the decedent’s composite through https://how-old.net

Result:

attachment.php

Source: https://how-old.net/#results

I know it’s not terribly scientific but, at first glance, the composite struck me as being of a younger, rather than an older, male.

Is Mt Si or the area surrounding it part of a mountain range, etc, or can it be identified by another term similar to Mount Victoria in the Blue Mountains?

It's on the edge of the Cascades.

And whatever was in his pack may not be "important" (in which case I'm not sure why it's not being released) but it would allow for a better feeling of is plans. Was this a day trip, weekend, weeks? What and how much of whatever he had might not seem important but may be. Was the stuff in his pack new too or not? How many extra clothes if any? Was "everything he owned" in that pack?
I feel like I'm looking at everything between a 30 something day hiker and 60 something homeless man. Knowing the other contents of the bag might direct research in one way or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also to dig out your car.

We don't get that much snow here, and also not the kind of shovel you'd use for that - people would buy a hardware store shovel for that.

It's possible he had other essentials like water and food, though they should have found at least water bottles. I wouldn't do a hike that long without a Camelbak but that wasn't mentioned.

Indeed.

They started running in 2003; I'm not sure how confident the police/ME are about date of death, but we've seen it be off before especially for old remains. I'm only thinking about transport since it could help ID him, maybe a cabbie remembers driving someone to Mt. Si with a shovel.

There's effectively no way to find cabbies from 1994 era. SVT doesn't keep records, 2003 too recent to be used in this case. We did discuss transport -- so probably either cabbie, hitched a ride, or drove there and car was stolen. The typical property crimes at the trail are vehicle break-ins, not vehicle thefts. Not impossible but stolen less likely.

Very true, but some people (not locals) may assume that since it's a well-known and popular hiking trail, volunteers or park rangers shovel snow and make the trail passable without having the right gear.

They could have even bought the shovel in Seattle, or (at least according to the web site for the shovel manufacturer) a large number of smaller shops around here.

Possible. My theory is that most likely he visited a single REI store the day before or day of his hike, again with the inexperienced, possibly out of town theory. The shoes are a great indicator he was inexperienced. I think the only way this helps the search is to learn towards someone out of town. Also, if he'd been local we'd have our own missing case for it, and I presume we looked over those.

One of the candidates (that was later excluded medically) was "traveling to the northwest looking for a place to hike". So a missing report that said something along those lines would be a good fit.

Someone from out of town would have left gear at a hotel. I assume hotels report incidents like that but who knows.

And whatever was in his pack may not be "important" (in which case I'm not sure why it's not being released) but it would allow for a better feeling of is plans. Was this a day trip

Clearly a less than day trip.

Not every piece of information is released in most investigations in case it is later needed as "holdback" information should it become criminal. Holdback info is used to crosscheck witness/suspect statements. This may not be the reason it wasn't released in this case but I can't release anything new, I can give you my educated guesses and theories though.

Was the stuff in his pack new too or not?

New.

How many extra clothes if any? Was "everything he owned" in that pack?

Fairly small pack. My presumption would be that he had other belongings at his house, or a suitcase at a hotel somewhere. So, day hike.

I feel like I'm looking at everything between a 30 something day hiker and 60 something homeless man. Knowing the other contents of the bag might direct research in one way or the other.

First (or nearly first) time day hiker was my assessment. Very less likely homeless man.
As I said, the rest of the contents would not drive a different conclusion than what has been released.

For those of you who might think this means it is criminal or there is something sinister or important, the answer is no, for whatever reason the detective picked certain things to highlight, maybe trying to pick the most interesting items, maybe for holdback, maybe because we couldn't fit more photos in, I don't know.

There's ALWAYS more info than what is released, although I'd say in the case we really don't have any solid leads (or any leads), which is why I am taking the unusual step and posting on here about it; as a rule I don't post about our own cases on WS. The detectives know I am trying to generate some leads here but I don't think they are reading the thread. Once we have an ID I will be back to radio silent. The detectives have been very appreciative of the candidates so far. I want to wait until I hear back on the first 4 before hitting them with any more.

I know it’s not terribly scientific but, at first glance, the composite struck me as being of a younger, rather than an older, male.

There's only so much they can do on the composite, they're trying to create a face based on the bone structure. Older people have the same bones, basically, but the skin is saggier and more mottled. So the composite could represent a younger version of the person. Please trust what the ME said for age range. The composite is intended to make people go "oh, that looks like ....." someone they know.

Oops! I ETA while you were replying:

Had a forest green Jansport backpack and was a runner, seemingly in more ways than one. [Bizarre disappearance.] Could have been an accidental death, suicide or homicide. He did, however, have the wherewithal to disappear.

Yeah, the backpack is enough for me to email the detective, but I'll do it after she gets back to me on the current batch which are higher probability. Unfortunately that is or was a common backpack at the time.

Also, the gear we found isn't really consistent with that missing, who is experienced and LE. He'd be wearing better shoes and carrying different gear (e.g. flashlight, additional layers, LE ID etc). Watch is not a match. BTW that's an unusually good description on NamUs of his gear and habits, probably because he was LE.

REMAINS DISCOVERED

‘[...]an off trail hiker stumbled upon possible human remains near the Haystack on 06JUN2015.’

‘The[se] remains were from the mid 90s.’

effect_20160325_075350.jpg

‘He was a Caucasian male, 30-60yrs, 5’7″-6’0″. A pair of tortoise shell glasses, a Swiss army watch, and an Ortovox shovel were found with his remains.

effect_20160325_075325.jpg

Also found was a green Jansport backpack and a pair of white Nike high tops men’s size 12.

A black leather wallet, containing no identification was also at the scene.

The forensic examination noted that the man had a great deal of dental work.’

It’s also been speculated that the man may have been living on the mountain.’

attachment.php

Source:

Mysteries of the Cascades: Lost over Mt.Si
harrybiped
2 years ago
DATELINE: North Bend, WA 03JAN2013

https://harrybipedhiking.com/2016/04/08/vanished-kurt-ruppert-jr/amp/

There's only so much they can do on the composite, they're trying to create a face based on the bone structure. Older people have the same bones, basically, but the skin is saggier and more mottled. So the composite could represent a younger version of the person. Please trust what the ME said for age range. The composite is intended to make people go "oh, that looks like ....." someone they know.

Yep, I know. I worked for a Forensic Anthropologist many moons ago.

REMAINS DISCOVERED

‘[...]an off trail hiker stumbled upon possible human remains near the Haystack on 06JUN2015.’

‘The[se] remains were from the mid 90s.’

effect_20160325_075350.jpg

‘He was a Caucasian male, 30-60yrs, 5’7″-6’0″. A pair of tortoise shell glasses, a Swiss army watch, and an Ortovox shovel were found with his remains.

effect_20160325_075325.jpg

Also found was a green Jansport backpack and a pair of white Nike high tops men’s size 12.

A black leather wallet, containing no identification was also at the scene.

The forensic examination noted that the man had a great deal of dental work

It’s also been speculated that the man may have been living on the mountain

attachment.php

Source:

Mysteries of the Cascades: Lost over Mt.Si
harrybiped
2 years ago
DATELINE: North Bend, WA 03JAN2013

https://harrybipedhiking.com/2016/04/08/vanished-kurt-ruppert-jr/amp/

Thank you. I hadn't seen the dental info.

I am curious as to why it was speculated he lived on the mountain. And by who? Anything specific? Or just throwing it out there like we do.

I'd be all in on the day hike theory if it wasn't for the shovel. That screams extended visit to me. I think of digging a snow cave. I've been watching too many of those survivalist shows.

As far as getting to Mt Si, it seems there are plenty of ‘trail angels’ willing to offer help to hikers:

http://trailangellist.org/pacific-crest-trail/

Much more difficult to find and contact these people back in 1994. Also, they're much more wired to moving people around PCT connection points, of which Mt Si is not.

But - he also could have hitchhiked or got a cab easily. We're not so worried about how he got there, at least right now. And with the towing records being a dead end, it is unlikely anything else in that area will bear fruit. If it turns out he is IDed and was murdered, then there might be some interest. As I said we get some cases (and deaths) where how people got from point A to point B is never known.

I'd be all in on the day hike theory if it wasn't for the shovel. That screams extended visit to me. I think of digging a snow cave. I've been watching too many of those survivalist shows.

The people who carry avvy shovels for digging snow caves would also have:
- skis or snowshoes or spikes
- ski poles
- gaiters
- better shoes
- avvy probe
etc

i.e. not this subject.

For an extended visit you would look for:
- sleeping bag
- shelter tarp or tent
- lots of food
- source of fire/heat
- extra layers of clothes

As for the dental work -- someone needs to go find an official source for that, not a blog post....

The people who carry avvy shovels for digging snow caves would also have:
- skis or snowshoes or spikes
- ski poles
- gaiters
- better shoes
- avvy probe
etc

i.e. not this subject.

For an extended visit you would look for:
- sleeping bag
- shelter tarp or tent
- lots of food
- source of fire/heat
- extra layers of clothes

Is it common to take a shovel on a day hike? I don't do winter activities. I don't like cold or snow. Maine and I have a love/hate relationship. Hubby and kids love them so I know there are people who do this kind of stuff.

There’s nothing more I can add, given the available information. Best of luck identifying the decedent.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back