WA - Natalie Gulizia, 14, fatally shot by mom as she called 911, Renton, 18 Dec 2018

cybervampira

Reaction score
Washington Mother Allegedly Fatally Shot Daughter as the 14-Year-Old Called 911 to Save Family

A Washington mother is accused of fatally shooting her 14-year-old daughter as the teen attempted to call 911 during a horrific domestic incident that also involved the teen’s father and brother, PEOPLE confirms.

Svetlana Laurel, 52, was arrested Tuesday night shortly after police received a frantic call from the teen, who was identified by KIRO 7 as Natalie Gulizia, that her mother was wielding a gun and a Taser and had zip-tied her 12-year-old brother.

The incident began earlier when Laurel, who was estranged from her husband Michael, showed up at the home he shared with their two children, according to a police probable cause affidavit.

The boy, who was home alone, let his mother inside. Once inside, he told police that she asked him to show her around and then brought him upstairs and zip-tied him. She allegedly stuffed a sock in his mouth and taped it shut. The boy reportedly told police his mother later removed it, threatening to Taser him if he made a noise.

Police say when her ex-husband — the father of the children — arrived home with Natalie around 8 p.m. “Svetlana drew a pistol, and told [the father] that she was going to shoot him because he had ruined her life,” the affidavit states, which then described the 911 call in which some of the chaotic, violent events were heard.

Svetlana Laurel

According to the affidavit, Natalie, a student at Kennedy Catholic High School, ran upstairs to call 911 and over a 15-minute conversation with the operator described the mayhem.

Natalie Gulizia

At one point, she told the operator that her mother was now upstairs and that she had placed the phone in her pocket.

The operator reported that she could hear Laurel yelling in the background “you called 911,” and then saying something about “Blow your head off,” the affidavit reads.

The operator allegedly also heard a noise similar to zip ties being used and then a loud sound similar to a door slamming followed by a scream about “someone possibly being dead.”

Michael told police that after he heard the gunshot, Laurel came back down the stairs and attempted to shoot him but the gun jammed. He allegedly then rammed her into the wall with his shoulder and was able to wrestle the gun out of her hand.

Renton Police Department, WA

Mom kills 14-year-old as she's dialing 911

Svetlana Laurel: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Friday, Dec. 21st:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ PT) – WA – Natalie Genevieve Gulizia (14) (Dec. 18, 2018, Renton, fatally shot by mom), 12-yr old boy (tied up) & Michael Gulizia (ex, tased & tied up) - *Svetlana Borisovna Laurel (aka Lavrinenko) (52) arrested (12/18/18) & charged (12/19/18) with 1st degree murder, attempted 1st degree murder & 3 counts of unlawful imprisonment. Held without bail.
Natalie was fatally shot for calling 911, 12 yr old was zip-tied, Michael was tased & tied up, tried to shoot him, but gun jammed.

Why did the 911 operator talk to her for 15 minutes before the monster came upstairs and killed her? Were police dispatched immediately and it took longer than that to get there?! What a horrifying experience with an obviously worse conclusion

Laurel and her ex-husband underwent an acrimonious divorce that was finalized in 2016, according to court documents. Though she initially had custody of their children, her ex-husband ultimately secured custody and she was only allowed supervised visits.
The ex-husband and daughter went to Seattle for an event shortly after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, leaving behind the 12-year-old son at their home in the 4700 block of Smithers Avenue South.

About 10 minutes after they left, the boy heard a knock on the door and the doorbell ring, then his mother calling his name. He was confused about why she was there because she had only been at that house eight months before to drop something off, he would later tell investigators.

But the boy let her in and she gave him what she described as Christmas presents. He opened them to find they were old clothes of his. Laurel reportedly told him that was all she could afford.
Much more at the link.
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/cri...your-brains-out-Mom-charged-with-13485092.php

The mother called a Russian friend in NY to tell him she changed her will to include him and when the friend asked her to call him back the next day she said in Russian, "I'm not going to be here." So it sounds like she was planning to kill the entire family then herself. Funny how so many of these situations end with the murderer still alive...

Police arrived after the dad disarmed the mother and ran out of the house.

I hope the boy will receive counseling. On top of being assaulted and zip-tied and grieving the death of his sister, he's probably feeling guilty for letting his mother into the house. What a burden for a 12-year-old!

Selfish, selfish mother; her ex "ruined" her life so she decided to annhilate her entire family. If convicted she'll get LWOP. Rot in jail.

Here's slightly different information not included in the Renton PD statement:
Before the father and teen girl arrived back at home, police say Laurel made a call to the children's godfather in New York that the man took to be suicidal. He reported it to police and was eventually transferred to the Kent Police Department, where Laurel had been living.
Mom accused of tying children and ex-husband up, shooting daughter who called 911
After trying to call Laurel back multiple times, the friend called police about 20 to 30 minutes later and was eventually transferred to the Kent Police Department.
Woman charged with aggravated murder in death of 14-year-old daughter in Renton
So first there was the call from the man in New York before the dad and brother got home and then the 911 call from Natalie. I hope Renton PD clears up why it took so long to arrive at the house. Right now it's not clear how long before the 911 call the man in NY got through to the PD.

Last edited:
Admittedly, I need to go read the links, but the OP created a burning question .. why did the "conversation" with 911 go on for 15 minutes before she was killed, and no LE?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I was going to post this question, right off the bat, but decided instead to go read the links first. Tried to delete the post, and even closed WS, did other things, and finally came back, and the post was still waiting for me to finish, so .....

Reading that 15 minutes sort of knocks the air out of you.

The boy and the dad are still alive, and her.. Dad will never see Natalie again, but he has his son. While the dam mother will never see any of them again. I hope it drives her insane. She is the loser all the way. But not as much as Natalie was. That poor child didn't deserve to die. She was so brave.

Some wars have Christmas truces .. Why can't killer parents do the same. Poor little boy, will he ever enjoy Christmas again? How can a child recover from a tragedy like this at a time when most people are celebrating and he has such sadness to cope with. Year after year. I HATE that woman!

The Service Board

It is with a heavy-heart that we mourn the loss of former Prophet and current Peer Leader, Natalie Gulizia. Natalie was fatally shot Tuesday night..she was just 14. During her time with tSB, we had the pleasure of witnessing her unique creativity, critical reflection, brilliance, maturity, and wisdom beyond her years. At first very quiet and shy, Natalie embellished our motto, "push your growing edge", as she began to step out of her shell during her Prophet year, and became a leader in the tSB space. She could captivate a crowd with her voice, and connect with people through her genuine curiosity and love for the people around her.

Her death impacts all of tSB immensely, especially her fellow Peer Leaders that she continued to grow and connect with. We are still trying to process this and are seeking solace within the community. We ask for your prayers and support as we honor Natalie in the best way possible. Please keep her, her family, and the rest of the tSB community in your thoughts. We will ensure to make resources and other support systems available.

Rest In Power, Natalie.

07A17CB4-542F-4E2F-99E2-4CEAD4253AEB.jpeg

Hope Lutheran Church & School

Prayer Vigil for Natalie

Our community at Hope Lutheran Church and School would like to invite you to join us for a Prayer Vigil for Natalie Gulizia on Sunday, December 23, at noon in the Hope Church sanctuary. It will be an opportunity for us to gather together to express our sorrow, process our emotions, and pray. All are welcome.

The woman accused of killing her 14-year-old daughter in Renton on Tuesday restrained the girl with zip ties before shooting her in the face “at near point-blank range,” prosecutors say in newly filed charging documents.

King County prosecutors charged Svetlana B. Laurel, 52, with first-degree aggravated murder, first-degree attempted murder, first-degree kidnapping and unlawful imprisonment Friday.

If convicted, Laurel will face a prison sentence of life without the possibility of parole, since the Washington Supreme Court ruled the state’s death penalty unconstitutional this year.

[...]

Evidently Renton is a suburb of Seattle, 11 miles from downtown Seattle. So it makes zero sense for police response to have taken so long! I understand in rural areas it can take quite a while since there are so few law enforcement available that may have to travel far to get there- but this is a suburb by a major city! They need to answer for this one! She should have been saved in time

The woman accused of killing her 14-year-old daughter in Renton on Tuesday restrained the girl with zip ties before shooting her in the face “at near point-blank range,” prosecutors say in newly filed charging documents.

King County prosecutors charged Svetlana B. Laurel, 52, with first-degree aggravated murder, first-degree attempted murder, first-degree kidnapping and unlawful imprisonment Friday.

If convicted, Laurel will face a prison sentence of life without the possibility of parole, since the Washington Supreme Court ruled the state’s death penalty unconstitutional this year.

[...]
I'm waiting for her attorney to ask for a mental evaluation. I get the need but IMO the outcome will be something like she was depressed over the divorce and custody issues but didn't have a psychotic break or anything.

After reading her FB and the WA court cases it's clear she was angry and sought revenge on her ex but her actions caused herself more problems. She was cited for contempt and ended up having to pay her husband's attorney fees.

One thing that stood out to me was that she tried to have the children testify in her divorce proceedings:

8/12/2016: Order Denying Motion For Testimony
& Attendance Of Minor Children

On her FB she posted a dozen reviews by Yelp users on a local retaurant that she was not happy with. If you keep reading you'll also see her own review of a school. We can't discuss it here but there are clues that will help in sleuthing her.

Although her FB posts seem a little bizarre and over the top IMO it was more about Svetlana being powerful angry over her divorce and of course, money. IMO she became obsessed with "winning" and the harder she tried the more trouble she caused herself. IMO this was a revenge murder plain and simple.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008514690981
Washington Courts - Search Case Records
Washington Courts - Search Case Records

Evidently Renton is a suburb of Seattle, 11 miles from downtown Seattle. So it makes zero sense for police response to have taken so long! I understand in rural areas it can take quite a while since there are so few law enforcement available that may have to travel far to get there- but this is a suburb by a major city! They need to answer for this one! She should have been saved in time
You're correct. In fact the PD station is about 4.5 miles from the house. The 911 call came in at 8:30 pm so traffic wasn't heavy like it is during rush hour. There are two possible routes.

I have friends in Renton - it's a very nice area.

Google Maps

Hope Lutheran Church & School

Prayer Vigil for Natalie

Our community at Hope Lutheran Church and School would like to invite you to join us for a Prayer Vigil for Natalie Gulizia on Sunday, December 23, at noon in the Hope Church sanctuary. It will be an opportunity for us to gather together to express our sorrow, process our emotions, and pray. All are welcome.
Check SL's FB for her comments about the school. It corresponds with a motion she made in court:
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008514690981

Sorry for serial posting. This happened in my state and after following little Denise's case I want to see how it proceeds. Plus I'm really angry that SL chose to harm innocent children in order to fulfill her need for revenge on her ex. I'm gonna dog it until she's convicted and sentenced.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back