WA WA - Patrick Cress, 13, murdered, Kingsgate, 30 April 1983

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Hathor16, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Hathor16

Hathor16 Member

Surprised I couldn't find a thread for 13yo Patrick Cress. Reported missing from kingsgate in 1983. His fellow students were gossiping about his head being "bashed in" before his body was discovered in a ditch. Detectives would like info on a note probably passed during school which reads ""To Michelle, From Kim, It's Important! It's a slight possibility the police don't know yet so don't tell 'cause that might be wrong." https://www.seattlepi.com/local/art...to-help-solve-boy-s-83-1272470.php?source=rss

annemc2 likes this.
  2. Madison Leee

Madison Leee New Member

Have you been able to find a picture of the note? I haven't had any luck. I lived only a few minutes away from where he was found. I hadn't heard of this case until a few days ago (I lived in that area 10 years later and didn't get into researching true crime until a few years ago) and have become overcome with wanting to solve this case. I have a lot of mutual connections to the family and I also know people by the names Michelle and Kim who would have been around the right age that went to those schools at that time. I am curious to see if I can recognize the handwriting from the note.

3. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Staff Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Patrick was last seen leaving a friend's home on April 30, 1983. He had spent a Friday night at the friend's house and had arranged to be picked up by his parents the following morning at a nearby supermarket. But Patrick never showed up at the market.

A Puget Power crew working at a construction site near Northeast 132nd Street and 116th Way Northeast found his body on May 18, 1983 in the Kingsgate area of unincorporated King County. Patrick had been beaten to death.

Even before Patrick's body was found, teenagers in the area were circulating rumors that he was dead. The rumors included details about the cause of death and the type of location where he was later found. Investigators were never able to pinpoint the source of those rumors.

Detectives found a note at the time, written on what they described as "typical school paper," which read, "To Michelle, From Kim, It's Important! It's a slight possibility the police don't know yet so don't tell 'cause that would might (sic) be wrong."

Detectives were unable to find either Michelle or Kim.

New details released in 1983 murder of boy, 13

4. JerseyGirl

[​IMG]

“On Friday night, April 30th, 1983, Pat asked if he could spend the night at a friend’s house. That friend lived about 500 yards north of where we’re standing right now.” Dick Cress adds, “We gave him permission to spend the night. He said, ‘great,’ grabbed a couple of things took off out the patio door, slammed it shut like he usually did and that was the last we saw of him. Not the last we heard from him, but the last we saw of him.”

“They spent Friday night at the boy’s house. Saturday morning Pat called his parents up and asked if he could stay another night. His parents said no. ‘Come on , we’ll pick you up.’ Pat’s sister even told him, ‘hey come and you’ll go to the Ever Green Speedway races with us Saturday night and Pat said, ‘okay, I’ll do it.’

Pat’s parents were fairly new to the area and didn’t know exactly where Pat was staying so they planned to meet at a Safeway less than a mile away.

“He said, ‘okay’ so we hung up the phone- he said goodbye to that family and right out the door,” his father said.

This was at 12:30pm on a sunny, Saturday afternoon.

“We got there about 5-10 minutes to one. It wasn’t really far from home so.. no Patrick. We waited ‘til about 1:30pm- no Patrick. I think it was between 1.30pm and 1.45pm that my wife called home and talked to Kim and she said, ‘Yea, he called a little while ago and I told him you were on the way to pick him up and he said something to the tune of, ‘okay sis, love you bye.’ That was the last we heard from him.”

Eighteen days later and about 500 yards away- a worker on a new Apartment complex made a gruesome discovery.

more info: Patrick Cress killing: Source of a rumor could solve teen’s decades-old murder

5. JerseyGirl

https://www.amazon.com/Value-Smile-...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1213399165&sr=8-3

My name is Dick Cress I began fulfilling a promise to Katherine (Katie) my wife of 30 years, to write a book of our experiences, shortly after her death in April 1993 and began making notes in the early morning hours of May 19, 1983 while waiting for The King County Coroner's Office to report, on whether the remains of a young boy found by an electrical crew earlier that, were those of our son, Patrick missing since May 1.

6. Hathor16

Hathor16 Member

Thanks JerseyGirl! I'll have to start reading. Madisonlee, if I find a note pic, I'll try to post. Youd think they would have gone public with that asap

7. M_Cowan

M_Cowan New Member

I really hope people see this and talk. I saw his body recovered when I was a kid, his father is a wonderful man who deserves to have some answers. People around here absolutely know what happened, it is way past time to tell what you know.