Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

WA WA - Pierce Co., WhtMale Skeletal UP5697, 17-24, buck teeth, Mar'89

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by CarlK90245, Mar 12, 2014.

1. CarlK90245

CarlK90245 UID Moderator Staff Member Moderator

The Doe Network
    Case File: 1845UMWA
    http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1845umwa.html
    NamUs UP 5697 https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5697

NO IMAGE

Unidentified Male
    Date of Discovery: March 17, 1989
    Location of Discovery: Pierce County, Washington
    Estimated Date of Death: 1987-1989
    State of Remains: Not recognizable - Near complete or complete skeleton
    Cause of Death: Stabbed in the chest

Physical Description

** Listed information is approximate

Estimated Age: 16-24 years old
    Race: White
    Height: 5'9" to 5'11"
    Weight: 150-160 lbs.
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Unknown
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown.
    Dentals: X-rays and photographs are available. Tooth #27 is rotated. Teeth #2 through #4 have a fixed bridge. Dental data is in NDIR
    Fingerprints: Not Available.
    DNA: Not available. No items in custody for DNA.​

Clothing & Personal Items:
    T shirt with logo of beer, spelling the name above a lion logo is "SINGHA" with orange writing next to the logo says "logger beer" with an inscription below the logo "Boon Rawd Brewery Bangkok," Levi 501 button jeans (size 29x34), Fruit of the Loom undearwear, white socks with faded horizontal stripes, long sleeve button front shirt with button down collar (purple buttons) with label names "Visage" and "Dance Bizarre" (size 15-small), and blue and white Pro-Ked tennis shoes with velcro closure (size 9.5).
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown​

Case History

The victim's skeletal remains were found on March 17, 1989, in the Caron River Canyon at the end of Tubbs Road just north of Mount Rainier National Park. He is buried at Sumner Cemetery.​

2. Loading...

3. CarlK90245

Detectives exhume 1989 homicide victim from Sumner Cemetery

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2014/03/11/3090898/detectives-exhume-1989-homicide.html#storylink=cpy

4. CarlK90245

One name that catches my attention is Darold Stryffeler of Yamhill OR (LKA in Gaston OR).

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/21056/0

His Namus casefile doesn't have a photo, but I found one in the 1983 Yamhill Carlton High School yearbook.

[​IMG]

http://www.classmates.com/yearbooks/Yamhill-Carlton-High-School/45619?page=40

There are not many details about the circumstances of his disappearance, but he has already been declared dead, even though his body apparently has not been found. His name appears on the Oregon Death Index (DOB 29-Jan-1966, DOD 19-Jul-1986 in Washington County OR)

ETA: I sent the photo in to Janet Franson, and she already added it to his NamUs MP Casefile.

Attached Files:

5. necco

necco New Member

I'd like to toss Jeremy Bright into the mix.

The clothing doesn't match. The height is off by an inch (Jeremy was listed as 6'0")

But there are so many rumors about what happened to Jeremy, including that he was alive for at least a few days after he disappeared.

It's a fair distance (6+ hours away) but a straight shot, and we've had a number of teens discovered even further from LKL lately.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/bright_jeremy.html

6. Irish_Eyes

Irish_Eyes Well-Known Member

I wonder if this person was former military. Given the age and that there is a base nearby. A beer T from Thailand could be a purchase a young guy might make on furlough in Thailand maybe?

7. necco

necco New Member

Great idea, Irish_Eyes.

However, 1989 was well into the "grunge" scene in the Pacific Northwest, so given his age, it's also quite possible he picked it up at a thrift store. It was the age of trying really hard to look like you weren't trying to look good.

On the other hand, Visage and Dance Bizarre seem to be UK clothing lines. So maybe you're right (Or the long sleeve shirt was thrift store goods as well)

8. alllads

alllads Member

Not sure if it's in any way relevant, but it appears that are some point Darold's parents divorced, and in September of 1988 his father (also named Darold) attempted to kidnap his mother.

9. alllads

alllads Member

Have had another look about Darold. From what I can gather: he was boating on Hagg Lake, but his motorboat washed up on at 9:15pm, with his wallet containing $100 on the boat. He is presumed drowned, and his brother describes him as a very poor swimmer. However, family is somewhat suspicious as his body cannot be found, and is never found.

10. Ravynne

Ravynne New Member

I'd like to throw it out there that I've seen Singha beer advertised on the sidelines while watching English football games. It ties in with the other UK brands. I can't remember which club or clubs advertise Singha now or even back then.

Could this be someone who traveled over here from England but never made it home?

11. alllads

alllads Member

From what I can find online, Singha beer wasn't available in the UK in the 1980s, but I could be wrong. Apparently Singha now have some sort of agreement with Chelsea FC.

From the description, the shirt probably looked like this: http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mq1iDZI9Cl5Y43OeUpUHSqQ.jpg I'm assuming "logger beer" is a mistype and it's lager on the tshirt.

12. alllads

alllads Member

I think the shoe size might be a problem. John Doe was wearing size 9.5, but Jeremy is described as having exceptionally large feet and wearing size 13.

13. hambirg

hambirg New Member

14. SheWhoMustNotBeNamed

SheWhoMustNotBeNamed Former Member

Official Rule Outs so far -

Craig Alexander
    Francis Cantea
    Kevin Conner
    Vincent Gartner
    Titanic Hagen
    Kenneth Hanson
    Ronald Kimble
    David Sampson
    Jason Scholz
    Donald Siskar
    William Summers
    Dana Torgeson
    Christopher Wells

DNA has been entered and completed through NamUs. If I understand how the system works, that also rules out the 3 name mentioned here, Darold Stryffeler, Jeremy Bright, and Matthew Garnes, as they also have their DNA in the system?

15. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I'm all but positive Singha beer was available in the USA by the late 80's. I've been drinking it since the early 90's and it wasn't new then. I can't find information on line to confirm it, though.

16. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

One additional ruleout: Benjamin Bullitt 1957 Washington

He also has a reconstruction on Namus: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/5697

And there's a photo of the t-shirt that shows it is indeed "lager" instead of "logger."