WA WA - Seattle, WhtMale 37-72, UP99794, Skeletonized in tent, Blonde wig, Poss. Transgender, *Sketches*, Dec'22

Hochman

Reaction score

Sketches by Stephen Missal
UP99794 crop.jpgUP99794 alt crop.jpg

"The decedent was reported to volunteers during a welfare check of indigent camps. The decedent was skeletonized in a tent..."

Sex - Male (Poss. Transgender)
Race - White
Age Range - 37-72
DBF - December 5, 2022
Location - Seattle, Washington
Condition - Complete Skeleton

Height - 5' 5"-5' 11"(65-71 inches) Estimated

Hair Color - Brown

Accessories
- Blonde wig (Found affixed to skull)

Clothing (No descriptions given)
- Jacket
- Button Up Shirt
- T-shirt
- 2 Bras (Stuffed with tissues)
- Shorts (W/ makeshift belt)
- Tights
- Socks
- Boots

Looks like someone crossdressing or being in the very first stage of transitioning (or not having the means to do so). I wouldnt call them trans, thou.
But the TDTF is certainly the right place, they work with all lgbtq+ cases, this one definitely belongs there.

Looks like someone crossdressing or being in the very first stage of transitioning (or not having the means to do so). I wouldnt call them trans, thou.
But the TDTF is certainly the right place, they work with all lgbtq+ cases, this one definitely belongs there.
Being transgender isn't about meeting some standard of passing. It's about identity. A person who has surgery isn't more or less trans than someone who doesn't. Same with hormones. Same with dress.

People who are transgender endure a much higher rate of homelessness, and lack of access to health care than the rest of the population. Even if surgery and hormones are desirable for someone to affirm their gender identity, more often then not, they just aren't accessible.

We don't know this Doe's gender identity, because they're not alive to tell us, but being open to the possibility that they identified as transgender is appropriate in this case. We're working from clothing because of the condition of the remains.

MOO

Not too long ago, I came across a mugshot, of a sexual offender who claimed to be a transgender and was a transient, and, imo, resembles this JD a lot! Not sure if I can post the link here... Going to PM you @Hochman. You're good with sketches and side by side comparisons.
MOO JMO

Being transgender isn't about meeting some standard of passing. It's about identity. A person who has surgery isn't more or less trans than someone who doesn't. Same with hormones. Same with dress.

People who are transgender endure a much higher rate of homelessness, and lack of access to health care than the rest of the population. Even if surgery and hormones are desirable for someone to affirm their gender identity, more often then not, they just aren't accessible.

We don't know this Doe's gender identity, because they're not alive to tell us, but being open to the possibility that they identified as transgender is appropriate in this case. We're working from clothing because of the condition of the remains.

MOO
I think both of you are right! I think what @Susikatze was trying to say is that if this UID is estranged from their loved ones, they may not know or remember this person as trans, if they'd recently started transitioning.

This is probably a dumb question, but what does the wig being "affixed" to their skull mean?
af·fix
stick, attach, or fasten (something) to something else.

Various ways to affix a wig:

1) Braid your hair or make pin curls (if your hair is short) underneath your wigcap. This will give your pins something to hold onto so when you poke them through your wig, they have a grip. Otherwise, they will just slide off as will the rest of your wig. Essentially, you are creating a structure for wig pinning as well as ensuring your wig doesn’t slide off.

2) Wear your wig cap. Any wig cap will do, just make sure it fits snugly around your head.

3) Put on your wig. Position it in the correct place.

Also... wig grips, clips & bobby pins, wig glue and/or wig tape. Anything that affixes it to your scalp. (Stapling and most important, do NOT use Gorilla Glue or you'll end up having to have it surgically removed like this gal.)

If the volunteers found skeletonized remains, obviously the decedent had been there for quite some time. There isn't a PMI listed on NamUs. Anyone have guesses how long it'd take for a deceased individual to become skeletonized inside a tent?

If this was in a homeless encampment, I'm surprised the remains weren't discovered earlier, as decomposition occurred. The smell would have made it apparent something wasn't right...

I had read an article about Niqola at the time she went missing. I really don’t think she would end up in an indigent camp or be living in a tent but we never know the reasons for why people end up where they are.

I am sharing her picture and information because the recon photo above immediately reminded me of her picture. She went by Niqi and was 42 years old at the time reported missing from Oregon in February 2022.

1680213823299.jpeg

If the volunteers found skeletonized remains, obviously the decedent had been there for quite some time. There isn't a PMI listed on NamUs. Anyone have guesses how long it'd take for a deceased individual to become skeletonized inside a tent?

If this was in a homeless encampment, I'm surprised the remains weren't discovered earlier, as decomposition occurred. The smell would have made it apparent something wasn't right...
My guess would be weeks to years. But so much depends on individual circumstances. Temperatures, animal predation, original body mass of the individual, there are lots of interconnecting factors. But yeah, weeks or longer.

MOO

I had read an article about Niqola at the time she went missing. I really don’t think she would end up in an indigent camp or be living in a tent but we never know the reasons for why people end up where they are.

I am sharing her picture and information because the recon photo above immediately reminded me of her picture. She went by Niqi and was 42 years old at the time reported missing from Oregon in February 2022.

View attachment 412164
Side by side
1680215959628.png1680215889305.png

Facial stature is too short compared to the recon. Not confident it's a match.

Niqi also doesn't seem to be wearing a wig, hence the brown roots. However, I could be wrong.

Last edited:

View attachment 412164
I remember reading about Niqi, and I so desperately want her to be found. Given her circumstances, I do wonder if her disappearance was either a medical episode or suicide. I don't know how grim a prognosis she was given by her doctors.

OR - OR - Niqola 'Niqi' Cavanaugh-De Calderon, 42, Transgender Female, Rhododendron, 26 Feb 2022

She is within the age and height estimates for this Doe. But one thing about Niqi - I am pretty sure her hair is her own, not a wig. That's just me guessing, though, based on what looks like her natural colour growing out at the roots in her pictures. Also, she was incredibly strong and fit from her being a dancer, and I think that a medical examiner might have seen the signs on her body and remarked on that, like they have with other Does that may have been dancers or cheerleaders.

MOO

Last edited:
I remember reading about Niqi, and I so desperately want her to be found. Given her circumstances, I do wonder if her disappearance was either a medical episode or suicide. I don't know how grim a prognosis she was given by her doctors.

OR - OR - Niqola 'Niqi' Cavanaugh-De Calderon, 42, Transgender Female, Rhododendron, 26 Feb 2022

She is within the age and height estimates for this Doe. But one thing about Niqi - I am pretty sure her hair is her own, not a wig. That's just me guessing, though, based on what looks like her natural colour growing out at the roots in her pictures. Also, she was incredibly strong and fit from her being a dancer, and I think that a medical examiner might have seen the signs on her body and remarked on that, like they have with other Does that may have been dancers or cheerleaders.

MOO
Also i doubt Niqi would have had to stuff her bra with toilet paper, look at her stunning body! She didnt do much with her top re treatment or surgery, i mean she is a dancer after all - but i am sure she would not stuff paper in her bra. She also was not homeless and had a dancers build. The UID really looks like someone who for whatever reason cant or does not want to physically transition (yet).

Thanks everyone for explaining what a wig suffixed to a scalp would look like.

This is my first time hearing about Niqi. What an odd, sad story. I certainly do not like the fact that she had a recent brain aneurysm, that does NOT sound good. She was a pretty blonde (fit) dancer, as well as being trans and possibly rendered vulnerable from health issues. She seemed like a friendly and interesting person and no doubt that her looks would attract attention. None of her story sounds good to me. I hope she is alive and happy somewhere. I worry about her either dying of natural causes due to her health issues, or honestly, being killed by some sort of lunatic, possibly a stalker situation. Based off her circumstances, I don't see her ending up in a homeless encampment in Seattle, and with her possessions being dumped in Clackamas, I honestly worry more that she was murdered. :( I don't think she is this Doe, but not a bad guess.

Without being too graphic...I'm from the Seattle area, there are a ton of homeless encampments and people struggling with homelessness in the area. Some of these encampments are HUGE and have so many people in them. People go in and out of them. A lot of addicts live in these encampments as well. I wouldn't be surprised if smells of decomp were either not noticed, or just brushed off as nothing serious.

Thanks everyone for explaining what a wig suffixed to a scalp would look like.

This is my first time hearing about Niqi. What an odd, sad story. I certainly do not like the fact that she had a recent brain aneurysm, that does NOT sound good. She was a pretty blonde (fit) dancer, as well as being trans and possibly rendered vulnerable from health issues. She seemed like a friendly and interesting person and no doubt that her looks would attract attention. None of her story sounds good to me. I hope she is alive and happy somewhere. I worry about her either dying of natural causes due to her health issues, or honestly, being killed by some sort of lunatic, possibly a stalker situation. Based off her circumstances, I don't see her ending up in a homeless encampment in Seattle, and with her possessions being dumped in Clackamas, I honestly worry more that she was murdered. :( I don't think she is this Doe, but not a bad guess.

Without being too graphic...I'm from the Seattle area, there are a ton of homeless encampments and people struggling with homelessness in the area. Some of these encampments are HUGE and have so many people in them. People go in and out of them. A lot of addicts live in these encampments as well. I wouldn't be surprised if smells of decomp were either not noticed, or just brushed off as nothing serious.
I'm not familiar with the area at all and much less its social history, but I'm aware of cops bulldozing homeless encampments in many major cities on a whim. Do you suppose it would be possible that our UID's passing was noticed, but wasn't actively reported out of fear? That wouldn't help with identifying this Doe but might help explain how they went unreported to LE for long enough to skeletonize.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back