WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
i thought she turned onto eastbay drive? i havent read any place that it was on south bay rd?

has anyone seen a map that showed the diner and what road she took?

thanks...im trying to catch up...

The diner is at the intersection of Martin Way and Pacific Ave. in Olympia. We don't know what road she took to get to the Boston Harbor area, East Bay seems more likely if we are working under the assumption that she was trying to get on I-5 at Plum St. but missed the turn. Of course it would also be possible to get to the pizza/phone call area via South Bay Rd. and Libby Rd., but that's a lot more turning and wandering. Could explain the 1 hr. gap between the diner sighting and call time, though.

I'm one of the people who posted that it's a pretty straight shot. It is, but this is also a very highly congested part of Olympia with many malls and shopping centers.

The roads were not designed to accommodate this level of vehicle traffic, so there are huge backups for some turns. Turning right onto Black Lake Blvd. (where she'd have to turn to get on 101) is one such congested intersection, and it's also a PITA to get over to the left turn lane for the highway onramp.

Instead of turning at Black Lake Blvd., she could have continued straight to get on the highway by SPSCC, but with the twists and turns and less developed parts, it wouldn't necessarily look like a place where you could get on 101 unless you knew you could.

Thanks. Would it have been so 9-10 pm Saturday night?

If you look at SS's myspace photos, you see a happy person in the early part of her relationship with RS... but more recent photos, she seems to be sad.

IF it's true that her mother committed suicide--we know that depression can be hereditary--then let's just hope that SS wasn't depressed and decided to take her son with her. :(

Only two days ago, according to RS, there were no problems...no substance abuse, no mental conditions.

Now here we are learning that Shantina was on medication for anxiety and was a recovering alcoholic (how long had she been recovering?).

If she's not been in recovery long, then her son knows how to survive. Kids of alcoholics do. Often they are the caretakers of the adult alcoholic in their lives, even to the point of cooking meals for them and making excuses for them.

I feel terrible for the little guy. You know that his hope had to be soaring that his mom was "cured," and how devastated he must have been to see her start drinking again.

No good outcome to this story. I fear that the mother may have passed out in the van or on the beach, and the child tried to save her (as he had probably done so many times before, in one sense or another), but instead two lives were lost.

If this turns out any other way, I'll drop to my knees in shock--and celebration.

Isn't Castle Rock considerably farther than 50 miles from Silverdale?

I am not sure where the 50 mile thing is originating from.
Silverdale to Olympia which is how far she made it is about 50 miles.
Olympia to Castle Rock is about 50 miles.
Either one of them could be what they were originally came up with that number.

Isn't Castle Rock considerably farther than 50 miles from Silverdale?

jl48lj.jpg

A = Silverdale (approx. 120 miles)
B = Castle Rock
C = Area where van was found (approx.)

I have no idea if JWB is the step-father she was going to visit, but JWB does live in Castle Rock.

Besides the ancestry site, this news article lists Shantina's mom as TLWB, and says she died in 2005: http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_52e58802-3018-11df-a8af-001cc4c002e0.html

The JWB rape conviction was in Pierce County. I don't want to link to it incase it's a different person. But it would make sense with the grandparents filing a petition for custody in the same month. Filing for custody of an 11 year old seems like it would only be done if there was a problem - perhaps the mother was depressed etc. for a while.

If you look at SS's myspace photos, you see a happy person in the early part of her relationship with RS... but more recent photos, she seems to be sad.

IF it's true that her mother committed suicide--we know that depression can be hereditary--then let's just hope that SS wasn't depressed and decided to take her son with her. :(

Only two days ago, according to RS, there were no problems...no substance abuse, no mental conditions.

One point - alcohol is frequently used by people with mental illness.

Her mom didn't need to be "depressed" per se. 20% of bipolars successfully commit suicide.

I'm not saying or even speculating that SS was bipolar, or suffered from any mental illness. There's simply no proof.

LE needs to check all of the empty vacation homes. SHe could be there trying to figure out what to do.

Oh gosh. Just saw about the molestation. Ugh.

Her mom didn't need to be "depressed" per se. 20% of bipolars successfully commit suicide.

I'm not saying or even speculating that SS was bipolar, or suffered from any mental illness. There's simply no proof.

Having a bi-polar sibling, I totally get this. Thanks for your insight on these SS threads, and on the MC thread. Your opinions have been invaluable.

Depression or depressive episodes are part of bipolar disorder.

LE needs to check all of the empty vacation homes. SHe could be there trying to figure out what to do.

Thats what Im hoping. She found a house and they are both safe. Shes watching everything thats happening on TV. Her family has to make a plea to her on TV.

I'm guessing (wild guessing) her son would have picked up the phone and dialed 911 by now.

Quote:
I work/travel in this area. They (tried) to eat dinner near where I work. In an attempt to get back to the freeway they turned in the wrong direction. They went down South Bay Road. No direction signs in that area. Locals only. She traveled far out toward Johnston's Point. Again no signage to anywhere. The only store/gas station in the area is closed. Dark. No cell phone (spotty service anyway). No where to stop and easily ask. Very easy to get lost even if you know where you are at and where you are going. Seems hard to understand that they could have met with foul play in such an isolated area. Wet, cold and hungry they certainly would have gone to a house with lights on at that point. I suspect they ended up in the water, one of them went under and the other followed. Sounds like a horror movie..yet less than 35 minutes from downtown Olympia.

I agree with this scenario. The sound is very cold and the air was freezing that night. This combination can lead to a hypothermia death in a very short amount of time. If they were wet and somehow made it to dry land, I doubt they could have survived the night in the woods.

Water temperature of 10 °C (50 °F) often lead to death in one hour, and water temperatures hovering at freezing can lead to death in as little as 15 minutes.[Wikipedia]

Wow.

And there it is. IMHO.

Yet, bf was adamant she would never put her son at risk by doing this. I think an innocent child has lost his life because of her. It is a miracle she wasn't involved in a major accident causing fatalities. Maybe we should be grateful she didn't find I-5. I'm just sad for the boy, he didn't deserve what has probably happened. She was responsible , my azz. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken