WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #2

Discussion in '2010's Missing' started by Salem, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coklat

coklat New Member

The diner is at the intersection of Martin Way and Pacific Ave. in Olympia. We don't know what road she took to get to the Boston Harbor area, East Bay seems more likely if we are working under the assumption that she was trying to get on I-5 at Plum St. but missed the turn. Of course it would also be possible to get to the pizza/phone call area via South Bay Rd. and Libby Rd., but that's a lot more turning and wandering. Could explain the 1 hr. gap between the diner sighting and call time, though.

2. Calliope

Calliope Former Member

Thanks. Would it have been so 9-10 pm Saturday night?

3. pufnstuf

pufnstuf "Yes, she's emotionally disturbed. She's unbalance

If you look at SS's myspace photos, you see a happy person in the early part of her relationship with RS... but more recent photos, she seems to be sad.

IF it's true that her mother committed suicide--we know that depression can be hereditary--then let's just hope that SS wasn't depressed and decided to take her son with her. :(

Only two days ago, according to RS, there were no problems...no substance abuse, no mental conditions.

Now here we are learning that Shantina was on medication for anxiety and was a recovering alcoholic (how long had she been recovering?).

If she's not been in recovery long, then her son knows how to survive. Kids of alcoholics do. Often they are the caretakers of the adult alcoholic in their lives, even to the point of cooking meals for them and making excuses for them.

I feel terrible for the little guy. You know that his hope had to be soaring that his mom was "cured," and how devastated he must have been to see her start drinking again.

No good outcome to this story. I fear that the mother may have passed out in the van or on the beach, and the child tried to save her (as he had probably done so many times before, in one sense or another), but instead two lives were lost.

If this turns out any other way, I'll drop to my knees in shock--and celebration.

4. impatientredhead

impatientredhead New Member

I am not sure where the 50 mile thing is originating from.
    Silverdale to Olympia which is how far she made it is about 50 miles.
    Olympia to Castle Rock is about 50 miles.
    Either one of them could be what they were originally came up with that number.

5. coklat

coklat New Member

No, 8 pm-ish. This is near the Safeway gas station.

6. darlin gal

darlin gal New Member

[​IMG]

A = Silverdale (approx. 120 miles)
    B = Castle Rock
    C = Area where van was found (approx.)

7. lawlady84

lawlady84 New Member

I have no idea if JWB is the step-father she was going to visit, but JWB does live in Castle Rock.

Besides the ancestry site, this news article lists Shantina's mom as TLWB, and says she died in 2005: http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_52e58802-3018-11df-a8af-001cc4c002e0.html

The JWB rape conviction was in Pierce County. I don't want to link to it incase it's a different person. But it would make sense with the grandparents filing a petition for custody in the same month. Filing for custody of an 11 year old seems like it would only be done if there was a problem - perhaps the mother was depressed etc. for a while.

8. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

One point - alcohol is frequently used by people with mental illness.

Her mom didn't need to be "depressed" per se. 20% of bipolars successfully commit suicide.

I'm not saying or even speculating that SS was bipolar, or suffered from any mental illness. There's simply no proof.

9. darlin gal

darlin gal New Member

Of course I do. I am such a maroon. ;) fixed.

10. danisisa

danisisa New Member

LE needs to check all of the empty vacation homes. SHe could be there trying to figure out what to do.

11. pufnstuf

Oh gosh. Just saw about the molestation. Ugh.

12. pufnstuf

Having a bi-polar sibling, I totally get this. Thanks for your insight on these SS threads, and on the MC thread. Your opinions have been invaluable.

13. Calliope

Calliope Former Member

Depression or depressive episodes are part of bipolar disorder.

14. PaulR

Huh? Where?

15. trigger

trigger Well-Known Member

Thats what Im hoping. She found a house and they are both safe. Shes watching everything thats happening on TV. Her family has to make a plea to her on TV.

16. PaulR

I'm guessing (wild guessing) her son would have picked up the phone and dialed 911 by now.

17. mysticrose

mysticrose The key to change... is to let go of fear

18. jmarple

jmarple Member

19. mysticrose

mysticrose The key to change... is to let go of fear

20. RubyRed

RubyRed "Keep on Truckin"

Yet, bf was adamant she would never put her son at risk by doing this. I think an innocent child has lost his life because of her. It is a miracle she wasn't involved in a major accident causing fatalities. Maybe we should be grateful she didn't find I-5. I'm just sad for the boy, he didn't deserve what has probably happened. She was responsible , my azz. jmo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.