WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
April 04. 2010 10:47PM
Missing Silverdale mother mourned in Brinnon, where she lived as a teen

"Right now, I would love to see her walk back into our lives," said Smiley's grandmother, Dolly Smith of Brinnon. "But I don't think we will see her again. She would never leave her son."

snip

The service is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Brinnon Community Church, 52 Church Road, with the Rev. Bill Reid officiating.

snip

The Thurston County Sheriff's Office said Friday investigators have no new leads to follow.

"If she were alive, she would have called me by now," Smith said.

"She would let me know she was OK because she didn't like to worry her grandma. That's the kind of woman she was."

snip

"I hope that she will come back every damn day," Simmons said. "She could be in somebody's basement or someplace where we can't reach her. "But we have to look at it realistically."

snip

Many questions about Smiley's disappearance and her son's death, which captured national media attention, may never be answered, investigators have said.

Simmons told KING-TV that Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who relapsed just before she disappeared. He also said he doesn't believe the relapse played any role in her disappearance, The Associated Press said.

snip

Smith said that Smiley succeeded in spite of adversity, including an alcoholic and abusive mother.

"We both went through a lot in our lives," Simmons said. "When we met, I wasn't looking for someone, but we hit it right off."

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20100405/NEWS/304059993

Her stepgrandfather, Silas Smith, told The Daily News Smiley made the same drive from Silverdale to Castle Rock a couple of weeks before her disappearance and was looking forward to seeing her stepfather. She once lived with him and her late mother, Tammy Brown.

She grew up in Castle Rock, where she graduated in 1998 from Castle Rock High School and was active in cheerleading and drill team.

http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_19266dfe-4060-11df-b506-001cc4c002e0.html

The service is scheduled for 1 p.m. at the Brinnon Community Church, 52 Church Road, with the Rev. Bill Reid officiating.

I understand that Shantina is probably dead, but I can't recall a missing person case where a memorial was held so soon after the person disappeared.

Her stepgrandfather, Silas Smith, told The Daily News Smiley made the same drive from Silverdale to Castle Rock a couple of weeks before her disappearance and was looking forward to seeing her stepfather. She once lived with him and her late mother, Tammy Brown.

Again, I'd like to know who she saw on that first trip.

She grew up in Castle Rock, where she graduated in 1998 from Castle Rock High School and was active in cheerleading and drill team.

Ok, this isn't making any sense.

Smith said she "partly raised" Smiley, who lived in Brinnon for six years prior to her 18th birthday.

Smiley graduated from Castle Rock High School in 1998

That's one hell of a commute.

I don't know why it's been insinuated that Shantina was stressed out over this visit to Castle Rock (leading her to pull off and start wandering all over Olympia). It's clear from the posts to her step-sister and step-grandmother and the comments from her grandfather that she was excited about the trip and looking forward to seeing them again.

So what happened between at 5pm and 7pm that suddenly changed this?

April 04. 2010 10:47PM
Missing Silverdale mother mourned in Brinnon, where she lived as a teen

"Right now, I would love to see her walk back into our lives," said Smiley's grandmother, Dolly Smith of Brinnon. "But I don't think we will see her again. She would never leave her son."

snip

snip

The Thurston County Sheriff's Office said Friday investigators have no new leads to follow.

"If she were alive, she would have called me by now," Smith said.

"She would let me know she was OK because she didn't like to worry her grandma. That's the kind of woman she was."

snip

"I hope that she will come back every damn day," Simmons said. "She could be in somebody's basement or someplace where we can't reach her. "But we have to look at it realistically."

snip

Many questions about Smiley's disappearance and her son's death, which captured national media attention, may never be answered, investigators have said.

Simmons told KING-TV that Smiley is a recovering alcoholic who relapsed just before she disappeared. He also said he doesn't believe the relapse played any role in her disappearance, The Associated Press said.

snip

Smith said that Smiley succeeded in spite of adversity, including an alcoholic and abusive mother.

"We both went through a lot in our lives," Simmons said. "When we met, I wasn't looking for someone, but we hit it right off."

http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/article/20100405/NEWS/304059993

Smiley met Simmons, a Silverdale photographer, on MySpace three years ago.

So maybe it was her with the migraines?

I don't know why it's been insinuated that Shantina was stressed out over this visit to Castle Rock (leading her to pull off and start wandering all over Olympia). It's clear from the posts to her step-sister and step-grandmother and the comments from her grandfather that she was excited about the trip and looking forward to seeing them again.

So what happened between at 5pm and 7pm that suddenly changed this?

A brain event. She was confused when she made that call approx 7. She told RS she didn't know quite where she was. From all information we have, she was sober at that time, yet so confused, at 7pm she couldn't get back on the interstate, which is easy to find.

Shantina was confused, disoriented, and unable to follow simple directions an hour before she ever even bought the wine.

She didn't even buy the wine until what? an hour later? And that was just buying it - it could have been hours until she drank it. Nobody during those hours reported smelling alcohol.

You can't get drunk at 7 when you don't even buy the wine until 8.

You can't get drunk from buying wine.

People and Shantina herself reported symptoms that align with brain events of several kinds:
confusion
unable to follow simple directions
seemed to be falling asleep
Mom hit her head
seemed to be drunk
left diner without food she had paid for
fell down outside diner
ran up over the curb
told people at 10pm she'd had an accident

Occam's Razor. Go with the facts, draw the simplest conclusion. Brain event.

MOO based on the known facts.

ETA: phone call @ 6:45pm, Handy Pantry Market purchasing wine @ 7:50 PM one hour after phone call to RS

I can't remember... what time was the video showing her buying the wine?

I can't remember... what time was the video showing her buying the wine?

Well I was thinking it was 8:05, but I really need to check because I have times from a number of events in a number of cases floating around my head :)

I should have checked before posting. I'll do that right now and correct if necessary.

ETA: Handy Pantry Market - 7:50 PM

So maybe it was her with the migraines?

Most likely not. One of her blogs on her My Space page said that her and RS had just celebrated their anniversary -- that was in September 2008. I would assume that means their 1 year anniversary.

http://www.tdn.com/news/local/article_19266dfe-4060-11df-b506-001cc4c002e0.html

2 weeks prior would have been February 27. On that day her step mother was looking at vehicles (posted on her FB). On March 4 her step mother indicated that her husband was happy that his daughter and grandson were coming to town and with hesitation (based on ....) she indicated that she was also. Between March 1 and March 4 Shantina and her stepmother became friends on face book. On March 6 -- 1 week prior their was a family gathering in Oregon -- Shantina and Azriel are not present in any of those pictures. On March 11 stepmother implied that since Shantina wasn't going to stay with them then she was going to go shopping. Shantina then commented that they (her and Azriel) would be there that evening between 6 & 7 (almost a cya on SS part imo) -- that post has since been deleted. Stepmother did go shopping on the 13th and posted that at 9:30ish p.m. on her FB. Closer to 10:00 p.m. she was posting pics of the family gathering that occurred in Oregon a week prior. On March 14 at 5:36 p.m. she is asking her friends for prayers for someone else. No mention of anything about Shantina and Azriel until March 16 at 7:43 p.m. -- 3 days after the fact. Based on all of this, I do not believe that Shantina was ever planning on going there. I believe all the posts were to make it look like she was going to visit her family but in all reality shantina planned to disappear. And, if she was so disoriented, having a hard time staying awake, possibly drunk, maybe on medication, etc. --- THEN HOW IN THE HELL DID SHE NAVIGATE THAT ROAD.

I am sure we can all agree on one thing -- It sure would be nice to have some answers to the inconsistencies of this case.

Most likely not. One of her blogs on her My Space page said that her and RS had just celebrated their anniversary -- that was in September 2008. I would assume that means their 1 year anniversary.

Did it say if it was their anniversary of meeting, first date, moving in together, any indication of what it was the anniversary of? That could help us pinpoint it a little more maybe.

Did it say if it was their anniversary of meeting, first date, moving in together, any indication of what it was the anniversary of? That could help us pinpoint it a little more maybe.

It does not indicate what type of anniversary. Another blog in May of 2008 says she rode the tandem with her fiance. There first comments to each other were in September of 2007. I think it was the previous girlfriend that had migraines and then RS and Shantina met and hit it off pretty quickly. But, of course, I could be wrong as we still have no concrete proof. :)

A brain event. She was confused when she made that call approx 7. She told RS she didn't know quite where she was. From all information we have, she was sober at that time, yet so confused, at 7pm she couldn't get back on the interstate, which is easy to find.

Shantina was confused, disoriented, and unable to follow simple directions an hour before she ever even bought the wine.

She didn't even buy the wine until what? an hour later? And that was just buying it - it could have been hours until she drank it. Nobody during those hours reported smelling alcohol.

You can't get drunk at 7 when you don't even buy the wine until 8.

You can't get drunk from buying wine.

People and Shantina herself reported symptoms that align with brain events of several kinds:
confusion
unable to follow simple directions
seemed to be falling asleep
Mom hit her head
seemed to be drunk
left diner without food she had paid for
fell down outside diner
ran up over the curb

Occam's Razor. Go with the facts, draw the simplest conclusion. Brain event.

MOO based on the known facts.

ETA: phone call @ 6:45pm, Handy Pantry Market purchasing wine @ 7:50 PM one hour after phone call to RS

When I first started posting on Shantina's thread, I felt she might have had a head injury of some sort. From the reported phone call that
she made saying she had been in accdent, this while on the freeway.
Then later, when Azriel said, Mom hit her head.

BeanE: Your theory makes perfect sense to me.

It does not indicate what type of anniversary. Another blog in May of 2008 says she rode the tandem with her fiance. There first comments to each other were in September of 2007. I think it was the previous girlfriend that had migraines and then RS and Shantina met and hit it off pretty quickly. But, of course, I could be wrong as we still have no concrete proof. :)

I agree it was most likely not Shantina. I think if she had a brain event vs intoxication, it was more likely a concussion because of Az's comment about her hitting her head, vs an organic brain problem like migraine. It would just be interesting to know if she had an organic problem like that.

I thought Robb said that the migraines were causing a strain in his relationship and his girlfriend was moving out tomorrow. I would think this was a previous girlfriend.

I thought Robb said that the migraines were causing a strain in his relationship and his girlfriend was moving out tomorrow. I would think this was a previous girlfriend.

My gut tells me it was (doesn't mean SS didn't suffer from migraines of course). I'd like to know the writer's source for them being together "three years". In every other article I've read it's be 2 1/2 years. I'm assuming it was Robb, just from the way it was written.

I agree it was most likely not Shantina. I think if she had a brain event vs intoxication, it was more likely a concussion because of Az's comment about her hitting her head, vs an organic brain problem like migraine. It would just be interesting to know if she had an organic problem like that.

She was certainly under enough stress in her life that I wouldn't be surprised if she did have migraines. She may have suffered an actual blow to her head or Azriel may have interpreted a complaint of sudden pain to mean she hit her head. There could also have been other organic reasons for her behaviour, such as this http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/avms/detail_avms.htm#140203052

Since you are a local, may I ask you a question?

Would someone only familiar with the area refer to the area as Dana Passage?

I ask this b/c on google maps, it doesn't say Dana Passage.

How familiar would someone have to be to call it that?

Please be as specific as possible.

tia

I'm sorry... maybe this has already been answered, am just catching up from the weekend.

I think anyone interested in knowing about the waters in this area would know it is Dana Passage. Especially, perhaps, those involved in outdoor activities and/or who might use a topographical map.

However, from my experience, a lot of locals refer to that entire area as "Boston Harbor".

Also, when talking about the water, many people assume that beach is on Budd Inlet. Even some beachcombers I know who frequent the cove at Big Fishtrap (which is even further out Dana Passage) refer to it as being on Budd Inlet.

Those I've heard refer to it as Dana Passage are mostly boaters, kayakers, fishermen, etc, and also people living near the beach area.

I hope I answered your questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member