WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen any news coverage of Shantina's memorial?

20100417-184111-pic-21265977_t607.jpg

A memorial to Shantina Smiley was displayed at Brinnon Community Church, site of a service Saturday for the 29-year-old Silverdale woman, who is presumed dead. The child shown in the photo at left is her 8-year-old son Azriel, whose body was found March 18 on a Fox Island beach.

“This is a hard day. It really is, not knowing and having to find some way of closure,” Robb Simmons, Shantina’s fiance of two years, told the crowd of more than 75 at Brinnon Community Church. “That’s the hard part. There are so many unanswered questions.”

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/...membered-for-love-like-a-cloud/#ixzz0lPutr800

King5 TV news at 5 p.m. this evening showed some pictures of the memorial. I checked their website to provide a link and they haven't posted what they showed this evening on their site.

Oh, you were at the services? How did all go? Not meaning to be nosey, so will understand if you would rather not divulge...

I was there. I think it went well. I sat there with my dad. A lot of people cried. Obviously. She is a well loved person. the CK reporter was there and a word-twisting TV reporter who just stood outside and nobody talked to I believe. The family still holds out hope that she may come back. Alive.

I've been following you guys since I found out. thanks for helping. It was a real comfort sitting alone in a guest house overlooking the water waiting for an answer. :]
Thanks for being kind unlike the media. :angel:

I was there. I think it went well. I sat there with my dad. A lot of people cried. Obviously. She is a well loved person. the CK reporter was there and a word-twisting TV reporter who just stood outside and nobody talked to I believe. The family still holds out hope that she may come back. Alive.

I've been following you guys since I found out. thanks for helping. It was a real comfort sitting alone in a guest house overlooking the water waiting for an answer. :]

God bless you, Nicky. I'm sorry for your loss of Azriel, and that Shantina is missing.

Please extend my sympathies to your dad, and tell him I am thinking of him and praying for him every day.

I'm so sorry for what you both are going through.

Please let me or any mod here know if there's anything at all we can do for you.

Thank you for your message.

Take care, dear.

BeanE

Rest in peace, Azriel.

God bless Shantina.

God bless Robb and his sweet daughter, and all who love Az and Shantina, and everyone they loved. Bring them comfort in their grief and pain.

There was mourning and missing closure in equal measure Saturday as family and friends of Shantina Marie “Kat” Smiley gathered to remember her as a young woman known for “that smile” and the courage to move beyond a tough past.

snip

There are no new leads in the investigation of Shantina’s disappearance, but she, too, is believed to have drowned, according to Detective Sgt. Cheryl Stines of the Thurston County Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff’s office will still try to recover Shantina’s body for the sake of the family, Stines said.

snip

Simmons spoke tenderly of the woman he met online, who became his soulmate and best support. Both have had hard times in the past, Simmons said, but together they were mapping a brighter future for themselves, Azriel, and Simmons’ two children N, 15, and D, 11.

Shantina graduated in May from Olympic College and was looking forward to a career in medical billing.

“We had a lot of challenges, but she had my back and I had her back. She’s an incredible woman,” Simmons said.

snip

Simmons daughter broke down as she spoke of the woman she quickly came to call “Mom.” The two shared many great girl talks and more than a few tears. Shantina always inspired her to reach for her dreams, N. S. said.

“I’m never going to forget that smile,” she said. “She was the mom I’ve always wanted. The two years I’ve known her were the best years of my life.”

Dolly Smith of Brinnon, Shantina’s grandmother, helped raise Shantina, beginning in third grade when her mother was unable to care for her, and also for a time while she was in high school. Smith and her late husband, Ron Edgell, then lived in Castle Rock.

“She was a joy, and she loved me and her grandfather,” said Smith, who has since remarried. “She loved Robb with all her heart. She loved Azriel so much. She was a good mother to him,”

snip

At the service, Cub Scout leaders also remembered Azriel and awarded him the “Spririt of the Eagle” award for members of the Boy Scouts of America who die before their time.

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/apr/17/shantina-smiley-remembered-for-love-like-a-cloud/

Oh, thank you for that. :innocent: I did not realize you were Robb's daughter, Nicky. Thank you, dear, and I am so sorry for your loss, sweetheart.:angel:

From the article, it sounded like there was lots of love throughout the gathering at the memorial. I like that imagery I get when I read that she had “love like a cloud surrounding her”.

Beautiful photos, from what I could see from the pictures with the article from Kitsap Sun. I especially love the mother and son sharing a kiss. Captures such a sweet, tender moment.

Nickystarship and anyone else who is reading who may have known SS personally, we are so so saddened by the loss of AC, and wil be keeping positive hope along with you that somehow SS will be found alive.

From the article, it sounded like there was lots of love throughout the gathering at the memorial. I like that imagery I get when I read that she had “love like a cloud surrounding her”.

Beautiful photos, from what I could see from the pictures with the article from Kitsap Sun. I especially love the mother and son sharing a kiss. Captures such a sweet, tender moment.

Nickystarship and anyone else who is reading who may have known SS personally, we are so so saddened by the loss of AC, and wil be keeping positive hope along with you that somehow SS will be found alive.
I agree, it looks like a beautiful service from the pictures. I think it was the right thing to do.

Dolly Smith of Brinnon, Shantina’s grandmother, helped raise Shantina, beginning in third grade when her mother was unable to care for her, and also for a time while she was in high school. Smith and her late husband, Ron Edgell, then lived in Castle Rock.

“She was a joy, and she loved me and her grandfather,” said Smith, who has since remarried. “She loved Robb with all her heart. She loved Azriel so much. She was a good mother to him,http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/apr/17/shantina-smiley-remembered-for-love-like-a-cloud/
I feel very sad for Mrs. Smith. But also it is comforting to hear how solid Shantina's grandparents were in her life. I think her grandmother knows her, and is painting an accurate picture. SS never meant for Az to come to harm, I do not think...

“She was a joy, and she loved me and her grandfather,” said Smith, who has since remarried. “She loved Robb with all her heart. She loved Azriel so much. She was a good mother to him,http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2010/apr/17/shantina-smiley-remembered-for-love-like-a-cloud/
I feel very sad for Mrs. Smith. But also it is comforting to hear how solid Shantina's grandparents were in her life. I think her grandmother knows her, and is painting an accurate picture. SS never meant for Az to come to harm, I do not think...

I agree.

I know her step-father and step-mother were upset when they missed Azriel's memorial. IIRC, there hadn't been much advance notice with his service, but since Shantina's was announced on 3/27 I hope they were able to attend.

My favorites are the ones with her and Azriel.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=243140172

No one can look at those photos and say she ever set out to intentionally harm him.

I don't believe for one minute it was a simply a case of her wandering lost around Olympia for 4+ hours with her just *happening* to end up on that remote beach. I pray that LE and her family and friends continue to search for the answer to what really happened that night.

Benefit in Memory of Azriel Carver
2 hrs ago

genthumb.ashx

A benefit was held Sunday at Macaroon's Night Club in Depew in memory of Azriel Carver, the 8-year old boy found boy found dead after going missing in March.

snip

To help defer the unexpected costs associated with his sons funeral, Jay Carver, along wtih family and friends held this benefit. A $20 donation included food, drinks, a live band and raffle.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=76143&provider=gnews

My favorites are the ones with her and Azriel.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewAlbums&friendID=243140172

No one can look at those photos and say she ever set out to intentionally harm him.

I don't believe for one minute it was a simply a case of her wandering lost around Olympia for 4+ hours with her just *happening* to end up on that remote beach. I pray that LE and her family and friends continue to search for the answer to what really happened that night.

Yes, answers are needed. Those 2 were just such precious human beings.

I agree: She struck me as a loving mother to her boy, and the tapes and pics of her (the kiss between S and A is just adorable) brings back memories of the tender love my son and I had between us when we were both around their age. Wish time could rewind, and this story could have a happy ending for all. :(

Benefit in Memory of Azriel Carver
2 hrs ago

genthumb.ashx

A benefit was held Sunday at Macaroon's Night Club in Depew in memory of Azriel Carver, the 8-year old boy found boy found dead after going missing in March.

snip

To help defer the unexpected costs associated with his sons funeral, Jay Carver, along wtih family and friends held this benefit. A $20 donation included food, drinks, a live band and raffle.

http://www.wgrz.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=76143&provider=gnews
What an adorable little boy. I think Jay Carver can at least know that he was a father at the end, under tragic circumstances; yet very much a father. Bless him.

Also, in the past ( on posts I read on comments sections of articles) I heard some rude people say "Azriel" is a horrible name, and that so is "Shantina". I actually think both names are lovely, beautiful, and fit the adorable people to whom they corresponded. And yes, someone pointed out "Azriel" is Hebrew for "Whom God helps". Also found "Shantina" is female for "warrior princess", which she truly looks like, an elegant princess.

What an adorable little boy. I think Jay Carver can at least know that he was a father at the end, under tragic circumstances; yet very much a father. Bless him.

Him falling to his knees where Azriel was found is one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288