WA WA - Spokane County, UnkMale 570UMWA, 40-60, poss. nicknamed "Slow Harold", Jul'81

Discussion in 'The Unidentified' started by Springrain, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Springrain

Springrain Buckskin Girl was Marcia King

Sorry if there's a thread already, couldn't find one!

• [*]The victim was discovered on July 14, 1981 in Spokane County, Washington
      [*]Skeletal Remains
    [HR][/HR]Vital Statistics

• [*]Estimated age: 40 - 60 years old
      [*]Approximate Height and Weight: 5'8"; 150 lbs.
      [*]Distinguishing Characteristics: Short, light brown, graying hair.
      [*]Dentals: No teeth
      [*]Clothing: A long wool type overcoat with large front pockets, a black leather coat with the letters "KLENE" hand written in ink on the interior label, a J.C. Penney shirt size listed as "Tall XL", a pair of lace up boots that were mid calf high. This man carried a small coin bag that closed with a metal clasp at the top.
      [*]Fingerprints: Not available
      [*]Other: This person was thought to be a transient that may have used the nickname "Slow Harold".

2. Alfie

Alfie Member

is this from doenetwork or namus?

3. the_missing

the_missing Member

4. Jessica6980

Jessica6980 New Member

I googled Harold Klene, and two from Ancestry popped up. Both from Minnesota, one was approx 20 years old during the 1940 census, the other was 7. So in 1981 the first would have been 61 and the other 48, both within the age range. I'm sure they would have checked this out back then though, right?
    Edit to clarify: I mean check out the possibility that Klene was the last name of the decedent and try to find possible family to question about missing relatives. It's not like it was Smith or Johnson. Obviously they couldn't just google it. :)

5. Vaden

Vaden Member

I've been going through the Spokane medical examiners website looking at all there J. Does. That's how I stumbled upon this, googling Harold Klene.

6. WyomingSkyAngel

WyomingSkyAngel Rocky Mountain Fresh

FWIW "slow" used to be a polite way to refer to someone being mentally challenged.

YaYa_521 likes this.
  7. ghostINshell

ghostINshell New Member

On the doe network page there is a pic of the tag jantzen. I looked it up and there is a swim clothing brand from Portland, Oregon that has been around since the 1910s. So I guess he was also wearing some swim clothing too that doe network is not saying????

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

8. ghostINshell

ghostINshell New Member

I guess there actually was a DIFFERENT brand called Jantzen that sells coats back in the day[​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

9. YaYa_521

YaYa_521 Every Body's Name Matters

Maybe Horace is a match to Slow Howard Doe? Below is his pic which appears to be of a much younger Horace (imo).

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

[​IMG]

NamUs #MP7138
    Horace Jack Prescott Jr
    Missing - November 15, 1976
    Male, White
    Missing Age. 49 Years
    Current Age92 Years
    First Name. Horace
    Middle Name. Jack
    Last Name. Prescott Jr
    Nickname/Alias. Jack
    Sex. Male
    Height. 5' 9" (69 Inches)
    Weight. 145 lbs
    Hair. Brown
    Eyes. Brown
    Location. Seattle, Washington 98117. King County

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Prescott suffered from mental problems with a tendency to wander.
    --

Horace Jack went missing (possibly wandered away) in 1976. This is 4-5 years prior to "Slow Harold's" skeletal remains discovery. He would have been 53-54 years old in 1980. The time span and his wandering could have landed him in Spokane at any point prior to his death (assuming these are his remains). There are 16 comparisons listed on his NamUs profile. His physical description is spot on considering 3-4 years passed between DOC and date found.

UID's NamUs profile lists 3 rule outs none of which is Horace.
    The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

There is also a bit more info describing his personal belongings.

Circumstances of Recovery
    This body found in a known hobo camp in the City of Spokane. Apparent transient. Several transients staying in the same area stated that they had known this man and that he had gone by the name of "Slow Harold". The decedent was edentulus and fingerprints were unobtainable. Manner of death was homicide due to skull fracture. Body was partially skeletlonized. The head was partially severed from the body. A clothing label had the name or work "KLENE" in permanent ink written on it. There were also 2 items of clothing that had what appear to be dry cleaining labels inside of them. The label shows a name of "Troy Linen Company" and a numer of N-1805-75-1. We contacted several compainies with similar or same company name and were unable to locate any useful records that might lead to an identification for this man.