WA WA - Susanna Stodden, 56, & Mary Cooper, 27, Pinnacle Lake, 11 Jul 2006

I always thought le should have been looking for a man with a large dog, a local. I think this killing was territorial. I think the women may have confronted someone about an unleashed dog, or littering something. Dude loses it because these REI city slickers come to his backyard and act all uppity. The bodies were apparently posed sexually but not actually molested. Power for the killer, a final humiliation for the women.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

This case has always bothered me because I hike a lot and it has struck me how easy it would be to kill someone on a lightly traveled trail and get away with it. Hikers don't usually care large amounts of cash or valuables worth stealing but if someone just wanted to kill somebody "to see what it felt like" or whatever, that would be a good way to do it.

The pinnacle Lake trail would seem a poor choice for this sort of murder. It was a long drive, an hour and a half or so, from the nearest town and the last 6 miles is a very poor road. Any time you encounter a vehicle coming the opposite direction, you must stop and maneuver around each other. People would likely remember vehicles they pass. Likewise with the parking area. If there are very few cars, people will remember them. I would expect a planned random murderer to choose somewhere they could get into and out of easily without attracting any attention.

The site the women were killed was two miles up a rather challenging trail. No big deal for a seasoned hiker but a lot of work for someone interested in something other than hiking. Furthermore, it would mean that the murderer(s) would have to hike 2 miles back to their car; 2 miles they might encounter other hikers. It would seem most reasonable to do it near the parking area in order to make a quick escape.

The bodies were staged seated with their heads resting on their knees. This created maximum shock effect but it took time and it guaranteed that the first hiker passing through would find them. Why didn't the killer conceal the bodies so as to be long gone before they were found? This convinces me that this wasn't a planned murder of those specific women.

It all makes me suspect that this was a somewhat impulsive act by someone who had a gun and was either having a bad day or something about the two ticked him off.

Since nobody identified the shooter's vehicle, there were no leads and the case went unsolved. The best chance of solving it now is if the murderer talks and gives him self away or if he commits another impulsive type murder and he is questioned hard about this one.

It makes me suspect

vehicle you en

I want to report something I saw in the area of these murders the day before the murders occurred.

The day before the murders I hiked the Pinnacle Lake trail with a friend. We parked our car at the trail head and started up the trail. The beginning of the trail was still part of a old logging road that we walked up, turning a bend in the road not that far up from the start of the trail, we came across an old van/trailer. It has been so many years, I can hardly picture the vehicle, but I remember it as a van or small RV. We commented on how it could have been driven to where we saw it, as the road was rough and looked not very driven on. It was a very unusual place for a vehicle like this to be we thought. It seemed or appeared that someone was or had been living out of it. We thought the vehicle was very odd and out of place to be up on this part of the road / trail. I remember stickers or something being all over the van/trailer. We did not see anyone around the vehicle and definitely thought it was very unusual.

At the time there were not gates preventing anyone from driving up the old logging road that the trail begins on. It was unusual that someone would try to drive up the old logging road, instead of just parking at the trail head. This is what really made the presence of the van in that location unusual and out of place. The vehicle was also pointing back down towards the trail head, as if it had been driven up the logging road/ trail and then turned around.

On our hike back down the trail, returning to the trail head, the vehicle was still there. We never saw anyone around or in the vehicle and we could not see in any of the windows as they appeared to be covered up from the inside. Maybe like curtains or something were hung inside of the windows. We did not see anyone in the area and I do not remember seeing anything around the vehicle either. We did not encounter any other hikers on the trail that day. There we no other cars at the trail head that day.

Years later a co-worker and I were talking about hiking and discovered we both had hiked the Pinnacle Lake Trail the same week of the murders, she had seen the same vehicle parked in the same spot on the old road part of the trail. She had hiked the trail a few days before me, I am unsure how many days exactly, but within a week of my hiking the trail.

This has haunted me for years and I'm curious to know if this same vehicle was ever reported to have been up there the day the ladies bodies were found. It would appear this might be an important clue in the case. I never read a report that mentions this vehicle in the vicinity of the murders.

I have been bothered by this case for a very long time. I would like to find out more information as I know that it is unsolved and wanted to report what I saw that day.

I've not hiked up the Mountain Loop Highway since it happened - it's too creepy. This area (Granite Falls) is known for meth labs and other general creepiness.

I completely agree. My family owned a cabin in the area at the time of these murders and I stayed up there a few weeks after it happened. I was petrified to go to sleep. Even before and after the murders, it was always a very creepy area and I was never comfortable there. Some strange stuff has happened on that highway and in the surroundings areas. My family no longer owns the cabin and I no longer go up that way, and I'm glad for that.

It's just shy of 12 years since this happened now. I really thought it would have been solved many years ago. :(

I just recently heard about this case, and it stuck with me because I am an avid hiker and typically hike solo. I know there have been a few murders that happened on hiking trails, but relatively speaking, they are so very rare, that I always look into them when I hear about them.

The Seattle Times article upthread mentions the husband has gotten a few tips that an "Aaron" has info on what happened. Does anyone know anything more about that?

I have only read this thread and a few articles on the case, so I don't know much for now. I will say that I don't personally find the husband and daughters hiking a few days after the murder that weird. It sounds like they all enjoyed hiking, as did the murdered mom and daughter. Hiking and being outside is one way I cope with stuff; and it sounds like they also brought other people to "take back the trail" which I don't find weird, really.

Still such an odd case. I know it was a weekday, but seems weird to murder two people in the middle of the day and still have to hike two miles back (even though I guess they could have gone off-trail to avoid being seen). I guess maybe they figured that if someone came upon them during the crime, they would just shoot that person, too? :/

Very sad and I hope that some answers can come to bring justice to these women.

This case is so sad. I recently heard about it too on Sam Sayers thread. I am curious about the van/vehicle post above and wonder if anything became of this information.

This evil POC Keyes who is now dead said he killed people in WA around the time Susanna and Mary were killed. I wonder what type of vehicle he drove?
Serial killer Keyes: ‘I would let them (victims) come to me in a remote area’

My heart is sad for this family. No answers after all this time.
https://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Back-to-land-where-their-loved-ones-died-1209015.php

Snohomish County sheriff's spokesman Dave Hayes said the television show "America's Most Wanted" also offered assistance, but investigators declined.

Cooper, 56, and Stodden, 27, were found shot to death July 11 along the Pinnacle Lake trail in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.

more at the link http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003136475_hikers19m.html

I wonder why LE declined the offer from AMW. You would think that they would want all of the help that they could get at this point.
Why did they decline the help of Americas Most Wanted?

It looks like David Stodden has passed a polygraph for this case, and detectives are ruling him out as a suspect.

Husband and father of hiking trail murder victims takes polygraph to move cold case forward

I was in middle school when this happened, and being a resident of Western Washington, I still remember watching the news coverage that day and the following days. Locally, this case and Lindsey Baum's case are the top two I desperately want to see solved. I've always wondered if the double homicide of Jeanette Bauman and Steven Haugan in Oregon the year before is connected. In both cases the couples were found shot in rural, outdoor areas.

I Can't remember where I read witnesses reported not hearing gunshots that day. Very odd
Makes me wonder if a silencer was used.

Thurs Oct 19th -EVERETT -- Snohomish County sheriff's officials confirmed Wednesday that skeletal remains were found off a trail on Mount Pilchuck east of Granite Falls in the Mount Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest.

<snip>

The site is not far from a trail where a Seattle woman and her daughter, Mary Cooper and Susanna Stodden, were found slain in July. That case remains under investigation.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/289272_remains19.html

Thread about the Seattle women that were found slain in July:
WA - WA - Susanna Stodden, 56, & Mary Cooper, 27, Pinnacle Lake, 11 July 2006
Were the two teens that found their bodies ruled out?

I Can't remember where I read witnesses reported not hearing gunshots that day. Very odd
Makes me wonder if a silencer was used.

I've read several reports mentioning that the hikers who went ahead of them after meeting at the trail head heard what sounded like distant thunder, which they think could have been the echo of gunshots now that they know what had happened. There's one mention of it in the article below. I can't imagine the fear going through them after discovering the crime scene, and still having to hike more to the trail head.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/murder-case-is-cold-but-memory-still-burns/

I've read several reports mentioning that the hikers who went ahead of them after meeting at the trail head heard what sounded like distant thunder, which they think could have been the echo of gunshots now that they know what had happened. There's one mention of it in the article below. I can't imagine the fear going through them after discovering the crime scene, and still having to hike more to the trail head.

https://www.heraldnet.com/news/murder-case-is-cold-but-memory-still-burns/
Thank you I saw that after posting.
So confusing, there are so many reports that say different things.

One thing I noticed when following the latest coverage was something interesting David said to the news reporters: "I think Mary and Susanna were hiking up the trail, someone came after them and saw a couple women and realized he had a gun and decided to take advantage of a couple women. So he made them take half (couldn't quite catch what he said there, so I'm guessing) their clothes off and then shot them in the head." Does this mean that maybe there was a sexual motive to the crime? I seem to recall a lot of reports saying there didn't seem to be a specific motive...

The quote is at about 2:25 in the video in this article: Husband and father of hiking trail murder victims takes polygraph to move cold case forward

This case has stayed with me for years, although I don’t have much to contribute... Like several others posting on this thread, I was an avid hiker, although in northern New England. I hiked alone, carrying survival supplies and a concealed firearm. I had a concealed carry license for the states I hiked in. I was aware of occasional crime, mostly near trailheads, and of course there is vulnerability while hiking alone in the isolation of wilderness areas. I was always very aware of noise, color anomalies, and potential hiding places. The only real danger I ever encountered was a bear, but that incident ended without any harm to either myself or the bear.

I will say one thing about David Stodden returning to hike with his other daughters. I think it is way to reclaim the joy that he and other family members experienced in nature. During one hike I made years ago, I sprained an ankle just below the top of a mountain summit. I bound it up and made it back to the trailhead with a metal staff/pole I used for support. I drove myself to a hospital, and my ankle was swollen and sore for a while. But the following year, I actually returned to this trail. I didn’t want this bad experience to ruin my enjoyment of hiking, so I went and completed the same hike where I’d had the accident.

Mountain trails can be full of ambush points and areas where a predator can ambush someone. If 2 people are hiking and talking, they could be distracted and unaware of sounds that could signal a problem, such as the sound of crushing leaves or another person’s breathing.

Israel Keyes comes to mind for this crime. His timeline may or may not fit, but I think the murders were perpetrated by an opportunistic predator. Such an individual may have been in the area with the intent to commit a crime, and the mother and daughter appeared. I hope there’s some DNA that will eventually identify the perpetrator.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phnix
Back