WA WA - Tacoma, MultiFem Late Teen/Young Adult, UP88637, Skull found after mudslide, Jan'22

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at possible Ridgway victims and had a question for someone more familiar with the area. Where could the skull have originated? If it was debris found after a mudslide where did the debris come from? I can tell you about tornadoes and the land in Texas but haven’t a clue about mudslides in Washington. :D

59F40288-DC0E-4A44-9CB3-51F821086118.jpeg

Mrs. Badcrumble

The North remembers
Reaction score
I was looking at possible Ridgway victims and had a question for someone more familiar with the area. Where could the skull have originated? If it was debris found after a mudslide where did the debris come from? I can tell you about tornadoes and the land in Texas but haven’t a clue about mudslides in Washington. :D

View attachment 367100

Jane Doe's NamUs' was recently moderated again (no new exclusions visible), but I notice King's county is also listed as case workers in addition to Piece county - well-known hunting grounds for both Ridgway and Bundy. I'm certain these angles are being investigated right now.

As for the geographical conditions for mudslides in WA, maybe @Springrain could chime in?

ETA: I just thought of something: If I remember correctly, Bundy decapitated several of his WA victims, and not every recovered victim so far has been recovered whole, so to speak. Could this be the skull of an already recovered victim? And how would this work in the identification process? Would there be a DNA hit on already ID'd remains? I know that NamUs pages sometimes stays up, even though IDs are made because the remains were partial, in case more remains are recovered at a later time.

Last edited:

Springrain

Who was Lyra Jade?
Reaction score
Jane Doe's NamUs' was recently moderated again (no new exclusions visible), but I notice King's county is also listed as case workers in addition to Piece county - well-known hunting grounds for both Ridgway and Bundy. I'm certain these angles are being investigated right now.

As for the geographical conditions for mudslides in WA, maybe @Springrain could chime in?

ETA: I just thought of something: If I remember correctly, Bundy decapitated several of his WA victims, and not every recovered victim so far has been recovered whole, so to speak. Could this be the skull of an already recovered victim? And how would this work in the identification process? Would there be a DNA hit on already ID'd remains? I know that NamUs pages sometimes stays up, even though IDs are made because the remains were partial, in case more remains are recovered at a later time.
So, at this point, I strongly suspect LE believes this skull is from a Native burial rather than from an SK case. There is not much chatter about this locally. My mother works very close to where the skull was found, and didn't hear a peep about it until I saw it on the news and told her about it - she hasn't heard anything about it sense, either. Locals here have really only heard about it via the news if at all. I was thinking about this case the other day. A weird one. I wish we knew more, but I think they are probably leaning towards it being hundreds of years old rather than something warranting a homicide investigation. MOO as a local.

Onto mudslides - landslides are not uncommon here, but major ones are not common either. There was a major landslide in Oso (Snohomish County) years ago, 43 killed; but that is not the norm. Mostly we don't hear about it much since it is not normal for the landslides to cause major damage. Lots of rain here! The one in Tacoma that unearthed the skull was minor, from what I know - I didn't even hear about it until the news about the skull, and like I said, I have family there - they were unaware there was one at all. So, not uncommon, but not a huge deal either unless it is bad. Flooding is more of an issue here. We had HUGE flooding issues where I live now (after moving from Tacoma area) last year, as well as in British Columbia.