WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
To my very dearest Outofthedark,:blowkiss:
Detective Youmans has been buzy helping with theatre restorations and working as a concession man. He looked very happy helping others and helping the community still after his retirement.
Here is the link to a photo and article;

All of my Love and Respect to you,
dark_shadows

Detective Youmans has been buzy helping with theatre restorations and working as a concession man. He looked very happy helping others and helping the community still after his retirement.
Here is the link to a photo and article;

dark_shadows

Thanks for the compliment! :dance:

Can you please repost the article link and photo? I can't find it in your message...

Thanks for the compliment! :dance:

Can you please repost the article link and photo? I can't find it in your message...
Dear sweet Outofthedark,:blowkiss:
Sorry.
Here is the link;
The theatre is beautiful and Mr. Youmans looks very happy and proud in his photo.

Mr. Youmans

dark_shadows

Thanks so much! ;)

He looks really happy! :D
Isn't that a great photo!
He did a wonderful job of restoring the theatre.

My mouth is watering just thinking about the popcorn that he hands out. There is nothing like hot buttered theatre popcorn.
Thank-you for taking the time to check out Mr. Youmans article and the photo.

dark_shadows

Dearest Rmf,:blowkiss:

I hope that I am wrong. I read in a news article awhile ago about the Detective on the case.
I was concerned when I saw this;
The Detective on the case stated this;

“He left money on the night stand with a note that said, ‘For the room,’ ” the detective said. “Who does that?”

When I questioned the money on the stand on this thread and stated that it could have been murder, the poster coldcaseman stated this on post #767;
I doubt a murderer would leave $120 on the nightstand with a note that read "for the room".

After that post, he has not posted on this thread, he just lurked.

I hope that coldcaseman comes back here and

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

I guess I'm still not following... I'm a bit slow sometimes... why do you think that the person here may have been impersonating a police official? :confused:

I'm confused too. I read some of those old posts, and there was some speculating or questions as to whether it might have been murder and not suicide. Coldcaseman was basically saying that he thinks it was suicide, that's how I'm reading it, because someone callous enough to commit murder is not going to think to be courteous and pay for the room. Suicidal people, on the other hand, often make sure all of their affairs are in order, all their debts paid, before they kill themselves. So it makes sense that if Lyle was going to commit suicide, he would make sure the room was paid for first.

a few different people from different tribe's and people with knowledge of them have wanted nothing to do with approaching these tribe's with a photo of him.this may be a pandora's box you might be better leaving alone.ccm went down that road at the time,with no luck.
What "pandora's box"? I don't understand what you are getting at, I guess...and where you are getting it from?

I have always thought "Lyle" was from Alaska. His eyebrow and eye structure from the side view is quite familiar. He does look Indian to me. There is also a possibility that Stevik IS his real name.

I don't see this as a homicide. Nothing points to it being a homicide, IMO. Nothing the ME found indicated such either.

I do believe that ColdCaseMan is exactly who he says he is, too. I didn't find anything questionable about what he has written here. It has been quite factual and you could tell he has spent some time on this case.

^^

Yes, seriously searching, I'm confused too. I'm glad I'm not the only one!

GREAT SUGGESTION about Alaska. How could I not think of that? We have some extra fliers so I will work on getting some to the tribal areas there too. Great idea!!! :clap:

Thanks, RMF. You are doing a great job! I don't think you will have ANY problem with the tribes other than they don't look upon suicide too well. Still, I think if it is a family member...they will take care of their own no matter what.

I grew up around a family who moved here from Alaska. There is just something about "Lyle" that seems so familiar and reminds me of them. They spoke with an accent, too.

Thanks, RMF. You are doing a great job! I don't think you will have ANY problem with the tribes other than they don't look upon suicide too well. Still, I think if it is a family member...they will take care of their own no matter what.

I grew up around a family who moved here from Alaska. There is just something about "Lyle" that seems so familiar and reminds me of them. They spoke with an accent, too.

Thanks for the feedback. I think it's probably unwise to generalize about native populations and their views on certain issues. I once worked with a local tribe here and they are all different. What I do know is that death is not viewed as an "end" to them, but a gateway to another plane of existence. Also, suicide rates are higher than average in Native populations statistically, so this is an issue they are keenly aware of and compassionate about, from what I've experienced anyway. I don't think MOST people like the idea of suicide, but on the other hand, the idea of a missing loved one almost seems worse to me.

I also had another thought about this earlier. It is possible this young man was involved in the fishing industry. Many professional fishing operations transit from the Olympic Peninsula up into Alaska and back to fish. It is possible he was connected in some way to that business and was gone for stretches of time. It may be that he was gone longer than anyone realized before it was noticed. People who are fishermen by trade tend to lead nomadic lifestyles anyway (as I'm sure you know since you're familiar with Alaska) and sometimes can be fairly transient because they are out at sea so much. It could also explain why he had fresh money, he could have been on a boat for several months and had just come off and gotten paid. I am related to someone in that industry and it is not uncommon for him to come back 20-30 lbs lighter from all the work he did while away.

seriously searching and rmf.have you read this whole site from start to finish.If so did you see the crime seen photo's ccm let us see about this case.several other people on this site have gone to great lenght's to speak to several different people belonging to different tribe's they thought he resembled,every single one commented he looked nothing like their people,even though member's where sure that he did.ccm did the same,with no result's.Pandora's box on the other hand is a generalization to area's we delve into during our live's,when like you both said,tribal people are very proud,honorable people and insulting them could be catastrophic on so many level's.i doubt he spent his life in a tribe in the middle of no where,his teeth where near perfect.

all the talk about the money for room on the night stand and the fact people think it was a possible murder.ccm stated a murder would not leave money for a room like that.Ccm also stated "if anyone had bothered to read everything"that it was also very unlikely for a suicide victim to do that as well.

i think is crucial that if people wish to put their two cent's worth in ,they should be up to date with everything that has thus far been discussed.

Well, regardless of what others thought of coldcaseman, I thought he had a lot of good info and I don't remember seeing anything in his posts that indicated he was trying to mislead people?? And, I don't really see how it matters either way.

As far as the fliers going to Indian Tribes, I guess my only concern would be that the flier and other info be professional, well-written (check it 3 times for typos) and not look like some sort of joke. I am not insinuating that this flier will be any of these things, but i prefer to see LE handle these types of things because they have experience with this. let's face it, you may very well be notifying someone of the death of a family member via a generic flier. I myself would not do it.

I'm back to my post of the crisp money. That had not been on him for any length of time or it would have been rumpled. I think LE needs to check local banks and such to see if he was in there either cashing a paycheck, exchanging currency or whatever - it may give some clues.

Another thought on a possible Alaskan connection - the area was occupied by Russia long before we purchased it. A thought - regardless of whether he is Native Alaskan, he could still be an Alaskan of Russian descent. So it might be a good idea to circulate fliers in Anchorage, and see if maybe some of the bush pilots will take fliers with them on their routes - see if anyone knows him. I'd do it myself, but I'm in Virginia so it would be difficult.

i think is crucial that if people wish to put their two cent's worth in ,they should be up to date with everything that has thus far been discussed.

I think it's also crucial that we not insult each other in this thread. I have read this thread. A number of times. And again (for the third or fourth time) I LIVE WHERE THIS HAPPENED. I also think that there are moderators and admins who run this board and it is their call to determine who should post in a particular thread...

I'm trying to find an international missing and unidentified forum so that I can post about Lyle on it and see if anyone outside of North America recognizes him

Well, regardless of what others thought of coldcaseman, I thought he had a lot of good info and I don't remember seeing anything in his posts that indicated he was trying to mislead people?? And, I don't really see how it matters either way.

As far as the fliers going to Indian Tribes, I guess my only concern would be that the flier and other info be professional, well-written (check it 3 times for typos) and not look like some sort of joke. I am not insinuating that this flier will be any of these things, but i prefer to see LE handle these types of things because they have experience with this. let's face it, you may very well be notifying someone of the death of a family member via a generic flier. I myself would not do it.

I'm back to my post of the crisp money. That had not been on him for any length of time or it would have been rumpled. I think LE needs to check local banks and such to see if he was in there either cashing a paycheck, exchanging currency or whatever - it may give some clues.

It's interesting. I was warned by several people here that people from this board had power and control issues. I decided to brush that off, because I didn't believe that people would get caught up in that behavior to the detriment of finding out who this person was. If you read my post, the flier was copied exactly off the page on the Doe Network and there are no detailed autopsy photos on the flier. The Doe Network page is PUBLIC DOMAIN. Anyone can see it at any time. We can sit here and discuss this case for 100 more pages or we can use the resources we have to get this information to people who may not normally see it. That's my take on this. This person is dead and there is nothing that can be done to bring him back. If his relatives don't know this, then they deserve to know. Yes, that's a painful thought. But it is more painful for someone NOT to know what happened to their loved one, IMO.

I think I am going to take a break from this thread. All the control issues, veiled insults, conspiracy theories and accusations about law enforcement being impersonated are rather disturbing to me.

To all the people who offered to buy stamps, THANK YOU. I will keep in touch with you via PM.

Ya'll are not here to try and figure out if posters are who they say they are. STICK to the topic of the thread and leave the posters' identities alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle