WA - Unidentified Male: "Lyle Stevik", Grays Harbor, 17 Sept 2001 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I posted them originally. I hoped that I would be able to bring some more publicity to this case, which I think I did an OK job of. Lyle Stevik seems to me to be somebody who you wouldn't forget meeting. He has a very recognizable face and it really bothers me that he hasn't been identified yet. Also, Washington has possibly the best public records law in the US, so the combination of those two things made me decide to get whatever I could.

Thank you and welcome to Websleuths!

Can you tell me what steps you took to get this information? I wonder if we could do this for the Mary Anderson case..........

Thank you and welcome to Websleuths!

Can you tell me what steps you took to get this information? I wonder if we could do this for the Mary Anderson case..........

If you're talking about this [0] case, then you can just send a public records request using information found here [1]. You probably won't be able to get anything from the King County Medical Examiner's Office, as autopsies are exempt under Washington state law, I believe, but it doesn't cost anything to try so you may as well send them one, too, here [2]. Because the King County ME's Office is involved, the King County Sheriff's Department might be, too. You can request stuff from them here [3]. The best way to make sure you get everything available to you is to send out requests to anyone you think MIGHT have been involved at some point in time. It costs nothing to you and takes only one email. Also, ask for the stuff to be sent to you electronically. Pretty much every agency has the capability to do this, but most don't publicly offer it because they want to discourage people by charging copying fees.

[0] http://doenetwork.org/cases/159ufwa.html
[1] http://www.seattle.gov/police/records/publicdisclosure.htm
[2] http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/about/disclosures.aspx
[3] http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/sheriff/Services/PublicDisclosure.aspx

Found this possibly major detail from part 1:

"The subject was seen by several people standing on the porch of his room on Saturday afternoon."

Who are these people?!!!

After 14 years, I wonder what the chances would be of locating that backpack stashed in those woods somewhere?

Looked at the nephew's statement again. He is claiming that Lyle had no bags of clothes and mentioned nothing of a backpack, compare that to his aunt whom we all know thought that he might have had one, but wasn't sure.

The statement of the motel owner/nephew is intriguing to me - on one hand he is distancing himself from this guest with no mention of any interaction in the 2 1/2 days he was supposedly on the premises, including not being there Monday am when he was found. Yet he has all kinds of info from his aunt the manager and the maid (a family member?).

And doesn't hesitate to tell LE that his aunt is not available for questioning that day even though he claims to have called her within an hour or so of speaking to LE.

Fwiw, if Lyle was in the late twenties to early thirties range, the motel owner was two weeks shy of his twenty-seventh b'day at the time. If this guest was known to the motel family, I'm leaning towards a cousin of the owner. Possibly a brother but, less so if his aunt was involved in withholding info. Jmo.

The statement of the motel owner/nephew is intriguing to me - on one hand he is distancing himself from this guest with no mention of any interaction in the 2 1/2 days he was supposedly on the premises, including not being there Monday am when he was found. Yet he has all kinds of info from his aunt the manager and the maid (a family member?).

And doesn't hesitate to tell LE that his aunt is not available for questioning that day even though he claims to have called her within an hour or so of speaking to LE.

Fwiw, if Lyle was in the late twenties to early thirties range, the motel owner was two weeks shy of his twenty-seventh b'day at the time. If this guest was known to the motel family, I'm leaning towards a cousin of the owner. Possibly a brother but, less so if his aunt was involved in withholding info. Jmo.

This just seems odd. She was just 2 hours away, and not in the middle of nowhere. I mean if somebody killed themselves at your family owned hotel that you work for, and you were working that days that your guest was there, and it's become a police investigation - wouldn't you be going back into town right away?

Did multiple things happen, or just one thing on those days that she doesn't want LE to know about? Like something that they or the staff did? Or something that happened with Lyle other than his death?

Found this possibly major detail from part 1:

"The subject was seen by several people standing on the porch of his room on Saturday afternoon."

Who are these people?!!!
Good question, but it does prove he was there on Saturday. What was he wearing on Saturday? Was this around the time he was seen pacing the highway? Did they see him do that, too? Did anyone run into him at the store?

This just seems odd. She was just 2 hours away, and not in the middle of nowhere. I mean if somebody killed themselves at your family owned hotel that you work for, and you were working that days that your guest was there, and it's become a police investigation - wouldn't you be going back into town right away?

Did multiple things happen, or just one thing on those days that she doesn't want LE to know about? Like something that they or the staff did? Or something that happened with Lyle other than his death?
I don't think it is odd she didn't rush back. He was already dead and if LE did want to question her, they could have gone to her wherever she was located. Now if his death was declared a Homicide, her reaction might have been different. However, it doesn't mean she didn't withhold information. Perhaps she may not have felt it was worthy of mention.

I am not ready to jump on the theory of the motel people covering something up. It is considered a suicide so what could they hope to hide? Taking his backpack? Maybe. Why would they cover it up if he was a relative? I am not following the line of thought on that one.

Just bursting on for a moment, a thought occurred after starting thread for man missing 25 yrs.
Dna has just revealed that he had been living in secret, all that time under the assumed name of a deceased child.
He left a note a week before his (natural? ) death....

Could Lyle have been living for years under the assumed name of Lyle Stevik?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...isappeared-25-yrs-ago&p=11792789#post11792789

Glad to have you here, Eugene! Reddit is fabulous for exposure but WS has all the meat of the cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're talking about this [0] case, then you can just send a public records request using information found here [1]. You probably won't be able to get anything from the King County Medical Examiner's Office, as autopsies are exempt under Washington state law, I believe, but it doesn't cost anything to try so you may as well send them one, too, here [2]. Because the King County ME's Office is involved, the King County Sheriff's Department might be, too. You can request stuff from them here [3]. The best way to make sure you get everything available to you is to send out requests to anyone you think MIGHT have been involved at some point in time. It costs nothing to you and takes only one email. Also, ask for the stuff to be sent to you electronically. Pretty much every agency has the capability to do this, but most don't publicly offer it because they want to discourage people by charging copying fees.

[0] http://doenetwork.org/cases/159ufwa.html
[1] http://www.seattle.gov/police/records/publicdisclosure.htm
[2] http://www.kingcounty.gov/healthservices/health/about/disclosures.aspx
[3] http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/sheriff/Services/PublicDisclosure.aspx

Thank you so much for that information!

Good question, but it does prove he was there on Saturday. What was he wearing on Saturday? Was this around the time he was seen pacing the highway? Did they see him do that, too? Did anyone run into him at the store?

I also wonder if they had an ATM at the store. Could explain why those bills were all so crisp looking.

I also wonder if they had an ATM at the store. Could explain why those bills were all so crisp looking.
I mentioned that earlier and when I Googled the store, an ATM did pop up on the map inside the RV/trailer park. I don't know what that means, but there is one today. In 2001, ATMs were the norm so I am likely to believe they had one...but unless we ask someone who either worked there at the time or one of the owners...we probably won't ever know for sure.

Just stepping out from lurking to share a few thoughts :)

If the motel doesn't have a website, would it only be known to locals/people who have visited the area before do we think? There's not a lot of information about it at all... I wonder if it was advertised locally or in travel guides back in 2001.

I took a look in the Google Books archives to see if the motel is mentioned in older travel guides. I did see a reference to Fodor's Pacific Northwest & Alaska on the Loose (1995) indicating the motel is the cheapest in the area. It doesn't seem widely mentioned, although that may reflect the limits of what Google Books has scanned. I also tried the National Parks website on wayback.org and didn't see any reference to the motel there. At first glance, this doesn't seem like a vacation destination that could be widely discovered easily...

Does anyone know if local hospitals were contacted when Lyle was found? I know Grays Harbour Hospital is about an hour away and Olympic Memorial in Port Angeles is about 2 hours away. There is also the Forks Community Hospital. He might not have had a lot of belongings with him if he'd recently been released from a hospital stay.

One last thing... I know a lot of hotels used to provide complimentary newspapers. I wonder if that was commonplace at this motel, or maybe it was too budget for that? It could explain two copies of the newspaper (if that wasn't an error)... Lyle goes out to buy one, finding a free one when he returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie