want to start my own business need some advice

smile22

Live Laugh Love
Reaction score
im looking to start my own online boutique business
i want to focus on women's clothing regular and plus sizes
jewelry and purses wallets etc

i follow a bunch of pearl parties ( ones that are not with a company but on their own) online and i know i can take pearls and make bracelets and necklaces out of them. using pearl cages they come in all kinds of designs like hearts teddy bears once the pearl sits in the cage it becomes a pendant.
i just need to find out where i can get my hands on pearls like the ones people open on fb

as for clothing and purses i need some legitimate retailers i can get product from
im not sure i would do live sales but i would have albums up on my page with the item how many and the price get some type of invoice platform

my personal style is country i love crazy train clothing, but i would want to offer a variety of clothing for all types of people

but i have no clue where to start i have seen online boutiques where they are with a company and sell the clothes they offer but i want to be my own independent retailer.

i cant ask anyone i follow as they wont give me out their secrets or info
i live 2 hours from ny and 2 hours from boston so going to trade shows/market is not an issue

Hello!
I'm new here, but your post caught my eye. I own my own business, and I was once right where you are, so maybe my advice can help point you in the right direction.
I don't know what "pearl parties" are, but it sounds like you're interested in making jewelry and selling it. If so, it's a tough business to get started in, but if you can make it over the hurdles it can be profitable.

All businesses need to start with the right paperwork. You'll need a good business plan, even if it's very simple "make jewelry, sell it to members of Congress". Figure out who your customer is going to be; and use that information to figure out how to reach them, what they're willing to spend, etc.

You'll need a business license, and a sales tax ID number from your state; and if you're going to be selling online you'll need to collect sales tax for every state. For some items I think you also have to collect VAT for sales to the EU, but I'm not certain about that.

The most important paper of all is money. How much you'll need depends on the nature of your business, and on what kinds of resources you have that you don't have to pay for. For instance, if you just want to set up a catalog and let people order from it, you might not need the money to keep an inventory. You'll have to decide how much capital you need, and how you'll raise it.

Jewelry is a saturated market online -that is, there are so many making it and selling it at every price point that you will have to find some way to make yours stand out above the crowd. To that end, reading a few books like "The Guerilla Marketing Handbook" might be very helpful.

Finally...I don't want to "spam" here by putting up links, but if you Google "small business forums" you can probably find a handful of places where people will be very happy to give you advice on all kinds of topics to help you get started and avoid some of the nastier pitfalls.

Good luck :)

Hello!
I'm new here, but your post caught my eye. I own my own business, and I was once right where you are, so maybe my advice can help point you in the right direction.
I don't know what "pearl parties" are, but it sounds like you're interested in making jewelry and selling it. If so, it's a tough business to get started in, but if you can make it over the hurdles it can be profitable.

All businesses need to start with the r

d use that information to figure out how to reach them, what they're willing to spend, etc.

You'll need a business license, and a sales tax ID number from your state; and if you're going to be selling online you'll need to collect sales tax for every state. For some items I think you also have to collect VAT for sales to the EU, but I'm not certain about that.

The most important paper of all is money. How much you'll need depends on the nature of your business, and on what kinds of resources you have that you don't have to pay for. For instance, if you just want to set up a catalog and let people order from it, you might not need the money to keep an inventory. You'll have to decide how much capital you need, and how you'll raise it.

Jewelry is a saturated market online -that is, there are so many making it and selling it at every price point that you will have to find some way to make yours stand out above the crowd. To that end, reading a few books like "The Guerilla Marketing Handbook" might be very helpful.

Finally...I don't want to "spam" here by putting up links, but if you Google "small business forums" you can probably find a handful of places where people will be very happy to give you advice on all kinds of topics to help you get started and avoid some of the nastier pitfalls.

Good luck :)

not making jewelry im selling pearls i would open from oyster shells along with what they call pendant cages where the pearls would fit
oysters would sell for 20 an oyster or a tray 5 oysters for 80
i would also offer games for chances to win oysters loose pearls etc there are huge followings on fb for these items

not making jewelry im selling pearls i would open from oyster shells along with what they call pendant cages where the pearls would fit
i would also offer games for chances to win oysters loose pearls etc there are huge followings on fb for these items

I see.... That sounds like it could work. Good luck to you.

BBM

Watch this, some states regulate gambling closely. In these states, your wording of the game/chance is very important to avoid legal trouble, even for non-profits and churches.

BBM

Watch this, some states regulate gambling closely. In these states, your wording of the game/chance is very important to avoid legal trouble, even for non-profits and churches.

You mean, not all of the oysters have pearls embedded?

If so, I'd be very, very wary of that...it's not only a good way to get yourself in trouble with the law, but also a good way for your suppliers to rip you off.

all pearls would have always 1 pear inside some could have two gambling is legal where i am

all pearls would have always 1 pear inside some could have two gambling is legal where i am

That could work if you don't have customers living in states with different, more restrictive gambling codes. Does your state have a high enough population to fit your business plan?

Wording of all materials would be important either way.

Did you discuss the pearl idea with Small Business Development? Lots of programs, loans, available for start-ups right now!

I don't know that your oyster idea would be very profitable from the price point that you suggested. I recently bought a 10 pack of oysters containing pearls and 3 oyster cage pendants for only $25 on ebay.

I never heard of pearl parties before, but I don't do facebook.
It's an interesting idea. I'd love to know what happens Smile22.

This is a few years old, but it’s MSM, so I think it’s worth reading to understand Pearl Parties. It seems that the personality of the online host and the entertainment provided is the biggest part of the whole thing…the bright colored cheap pearls inserted into the oysters aren’t worth much at all. Why anyone would gamble on this is beyond me, but plenty seems to think it’s wonderful. *shrug*

Online Pearl Parties are Completely Insane and Crazy Popular | KQED

Just stumbled upon your post from a few years ago about starting your online boutique. I genuinely hope your venture has taken off by now! Your idea of combining women's clothing with custom pearl jewelry was captivating.

OP, any updates? Meanwhile, I'd like to add some tips.
Starting your own business is bold, so kudos to anyone venturing into this.
Create unique relationships with vendors to stand out in the market. Besides, Etsy and Alibaba are good starting points for items like pearls and fashionable country-style clothing.
Now, in terms of sales, having an online presence is vital. Social media platforms, like Facebook, can boost visibility big time. <modsnip - not allowed> a mix of your personal style with a variety of other styles might attract a wider customer base.
It's been 3 years, so if you've started up, I'd love to hear how it's going! If not, it's never too late.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back