WEBSLEUTHS WILL BE OFF LINE FOR A SOFTWARE UPDATE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same happened to me. I had to press enter about 10 times to.make the text box bigger, so I coukd see what I type. Inrarely post anymore, but wanted to participate because webleuths is partnering in a citizen sleuth podcast and I wanted to support it. But man, it was very hard to type a detailed, well thought out response when I couldn't even see what I wrote.. and there was no x or close..
Just tried to quote two posts at another thread... Made a complete mess with formatting and cut and paste. Had to give up. This one is as much as I can write!

I noticed that some posts vanish and then reappear.
It happened with my post - I wanted to check it, but ooops, it wasn't there.
And then alert told me, somebody "liked" my post, I checked - and ooops again - it was there!

I noticed it with other posts, when they suddenly appeared in the thread I already read, and when I returned some time later, I saw posts I didn't see earlier.

Ditto; sigh.

Tough when the bar takes up soooo much room that you can't log out -- there isn't enough room on the screen for the menu box!

So far, I've been able to open a new tab in order to log out.

This is such a thoughtful & supportive community! Obstacles to access probably won't assist LE to solve crimes or match unidentified remains to missing persons reports....

jmho ymmv lrr

11 Priceline ads for travel to Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati, ( I live in between) and also Indianapolis,
Las Vegas.
3 additional Priceline ads for Hotels.
4 ads for “ life is good” T shirts. (one in formerly the black bar)
1 ad for a law school.
1 ad for a bank.
1 teeny tiny ad for Nissan
All jumping, popping, moving, flashing,
These ads are all on this page and it is not a full page of posts yet. So there will be more.

I fully understand and support the need for advertising, but this is really interfering with ability to read content or post.

I got scared on my phone the other day. When I clicked on Websleuths I couldn't see any posts, it was all ads completely filling the screen.
I scrolled down and it was all just more ads. I tried again later and realised there were posts there but I had to scroll a long way down to see them.
I was worried that my phone had been hacked by spammers who'd taken over my phone.
I was relieved that it was Websleuths ads.

Last edited:
11 Priceline ads for travel to Dayton, Columbus, Cincinnati, ( I live in between) and also Indianapolis,
Las Vegas.
3 additional Priceline ads for Hotels.
4 ads for “ life is good” T shirts. (one in formerly the black bar)
1 ad for a law school.
1 ad for a bank.
1 teeny tiny ad for Nissan
All jumping, popping, moving, flashing,
These ads are all on this page and it is not a full page of posts yet. So there will be more.

I fully understand and support the need for advertising, but this is really interfering with ability to read content or post.
The travel ads are really getting me down. We’re going nowhere this year and it’s like being reminded of it every time I‘m here! I keep closing them but they don’t go away.

On this page now, I see ads for handbags, software, dunelm, perfume, dresses, dunelm again, drawstring pants (!), 2 more perfume ads, another dunelm, cosmetics and the holidays ad. I can’t use my phone for WS any more, the ads make it too difficult to see anything or contribute. I do understand that revenue streams are important to maintain the site, but I’m hoping there’s some common ground to be found.

The travel ads are really getting me down. We’re going nowhere this year and it’s like being reminded of it every time I‘m here! I keep closing them but they don’t go away.

On this page now, I see ads for handbags, software, dunelm, perfume, dresses, dunelm again, drawstring pants (!), 2 more perfume ads, another dunelm, cosmetics and the holidays ad. I can’t use my phone for WS any more, the ads make it too difficult to see anything or contribute. I do understand that revenue streams are important to maintain the site, but I’m hoping there’s some common ground to be found.
I didn’t know what you all were talking about since I read WS on my iPad with an app that disappears commercial sites. I’m now reading on my phone and after disabling that certain unmentionable app I see all the ads. :eek: And my typing gets covered by an ad. This is nuts! It’s a shame that a compromise can’t be found, since without participating members there is no WS. If I were a new reader or member I’d give up!

Why do we suddenly have New Posts listed above this thread now? I don't need to see those. I'm on the thread I'm interested in. New Posts listed are taking up more of this page, and the New Posts Tab is gone. Why? Not useful. I'm on a regular desktop type computer, and even I don't like it, so I can imagine if I was on my cell phone. Sorry, to have to mention this, but it seems an unnecessary change to have New Posts listed above all the threads when it could be one simple Tab.

Any software update takes time to get the various bugs worked out and Dave is working diligently every single day to deal with various new software and advertising issues. Websleuths has gone through change before and these things ultimately get resolved to the best of his ability.

This thread was started as Tricia's announcement about the software update but seems to have morphed into nothing more than a general complaint thread.

As always, if you have a complaint about technical issues you are experiencing, please use the dedicated "Report a Problem" feature at the bottom right of this page.

Thanks.

The ads have really been a nuisance on my mobile phone. I come here to read while winding down to falling asleep therefore it’s always on my mobile. I really hope this becomes an option in the future if not already.

I'm having a problem reading on my laptop because the ads are loading in the black Websleuths header instead of outside it, and taking up half the page of screen real-estate. Is it just me, and is this the proper thread to ask for help about it?

Good morning! If I read the statement correctly, there is not an ad free option?
There is not, but is a big help if you are on a personal computer and can download it. Google "", go to the website, and click download. It's free and cuts way down on ads. However, if you're on a public computer without or a phone, there's nothing that works in my experience.
The ads have really been a nuisance on my mobile phone. I come here to read while winding down to falling asleep therefore it’s always on my mobile. I really hope this becomes an option in the future if not already.
I don't have on my phone (I don't even think it's possible? Not a tech person so maybe it is) and I can hardly use WS on my phone for this reason. It takes ages to load and the ads are so huge that it's hard to navigate threads. I end up only using it on a computer for this reason.
I'm having a problem reading on my laptop because the ads are loading in the black Websleuths header instead of outside it, and taking up half the page of screen real-estate. Is it just me, and is this the proper thread to ask for help about it?
I have this issue if I am using a computer that doesn't have installed (e.g., a library desktop computer). I can still use it but it is more difficult. If you're using a personal computer, I highly recommend . Google "", go to the website, and click download.

The last thread started to discuss this was closed. Posters were asked to scroll to the very bottom and click on Report A Problem

to let our admins & tech people know what is going wrong.

Discussing it among ourselves does not help the tech people know what is going wrong, doesn't address any problems, doesn't lead to solutions according to the closing post.

jmho ymmv lrr

have raised this as "Report a Problem" but you cant attach files, not sure if they are aware of how bad the number of ads are or how ridiculous the amount is - you can even read a single post.

Shame as I loved websleuths but now its just to frustrating to bother, I hope they consider changing the ad amounts

1658088163584.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members