Welcome our Chemist to Websleuths/Syringe in bottle and traces of chloroform #3

panama, thanks for the thoughts--your post sent me off in several directions at once! But it seems that what keeps us circling around this topic of Gatorade bottle/syringe is their proximity to the remains. Given the potential links to this case (Wudge I can hear you now, I know I know), what are the odds that a steroid-using janitor would accidentally choose to toss this syringe/concoction/bottle and have it land so close to Caylee's remains, vs the odds that the bottle & contents are related to the murder?

Oh god, just realized... Zenaida may have been a steroid-using janitor nanny. The nannitor did it! (Rushes off to call JB with new lead.)

MOO and still trying to put this all together....

<snip>
Oh god, just realized... Zenaida may have been a steroid-using janitor nanny. The nannitor did it!

LOL! Reminds me of Brini's "Xanex the Nanex" cracking me up a while ago.

Anyway, it's true about the proximity. Wasn't there a possibility of flooding in the area, though? There was other (seemingly) unrelated trash around the area too, and flooding could filter all the forest trash to a limited number of places... (I can't recall, but this might have been shot down a while ago.)

ETA: Ok, I keep thinking about, "...what are the odds that a steroid-using janitor would accidentally choose to toss this syringe/concoction/bottle and have it land so close to Caylee's remains?" and cracking up hysterically. Funny how my attempt to simplify may well do the opposite. It doesn't haaave to be a janitor, though. Maybe I'll crunch some numbers. :)

what about the small bag that the needle came in.....i read there was liquid in that....has anyone found the results for that?

not the disney bag...the packaging bag the needle was pulled out of....:)

LOL! Reminds me of Brini's "Xanex the Nanex" cracking me up a while ago.

Anyway, it's true about the proximity. Wasn't there a possibility of flooding in the area, though? There was other (seemingly) unrelated trash around the area too, and flooding could filter all the forest trash to a limited number of places... (I can't recall, but this might have been shot down a while ago.)

OK this has come up enough that I am going to go sleuth it out. There are topo maps of the area that Caylee was found. In a marshy, swampy area that flooded due to groundwater swell during rains, would previously dumped items end up in lower elevations when the waters receded? Beyond runoff from the graded road (which would have been mediated by the 4' grass/gravel road edge at the site plus by the vegetative barrier between road and site of remains) there would not be a strong current in such waters. Dumped items, whether placed at the same time or accidentally/purposely in the same area later than the initial body drop, could well just lift with the groundwater rising, and settle back down not very far from their initial resting point.

Topo maps, here I come!

ETA: OMG rabbit hole, help help help. Map of find site, please? Topographic info seems significant in the eventual disposition/displacement of items found near Caylee. Saw doc with same info earlier today. Cannot find same now. New sleuther learns to take notes: exhibit A.

I'm going to pull a few of my posts from thread 2 to this thread, sorry for the repeat. Here's the first one: With regard to the Crystal Lite bottle with the brown liquid, there has been discussion that it could be spit from a tobacco chewer. My post was:

I have a question about the spit cup theory. Wouldn't a spit cup be loaded with DNA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecybeans
Quiet Storm - these could not be gasoline additives could they? I keep thinking about KC stealing gas every ten seconds.

There is something so hinky here - to me it all looks like a plant. Let's face it, KC didn't even need duct tape to kill Caylee - she could have done it with her bare hands. And if duct tape was actual COD, why did she need a syringe and a deadly cocktail? What if that was done to set someone up and the Disney bag with syringe was originally in the black plastic bag with Caylee? KC could have put that together on the 18th, when she backed into the garage. I just don't see this as a recreational mix of any kind and whoever did it went to great trouble to make sure the needle was sealed off from the elements, ie: preserved for evidence.

(This just reminds me of the computer searches - none of the subjects researched were necessary to kill a toddler, but all of them would work well on an adult.)

If she did, I think there are three possibilities; a) she stole the needle from a friend (we all know who); b) she took the needle from home and the chemicals from home (perhaps the foodstuff is traces from Gatorade liquid) or c) she took the needle from a tattoo parlor friend hoping it would lead back to ZFG.

Frankly I think the second option makes more sense - get rid of her parents by framing them so she could inherit the house. It would certainly explain the body being right down the street. And she may have put this together a day or two later thinking she might need to CYA her CMA. Something about this just looks odd odd odd to me.

I am having the some of the same thoughts as you have expressed here. Sometimes it just seems way too complicated, but maybe we have to wade through it all to find a simple explanation. An ah-ha moment that puts it all into perspective and shows that although we all went very far to find a short answer, we did find it. That's what I'm hoping, and I think that happened with the "how much chloroform" issue.

I have a rather long post a bit back about some research on the Internet into the chemicals found in the syringe itself. Long posts can be tedious to read through but there is so much information out there to consider. So again, I might be taking the long road thought-wise to arrive just a short distance, but if the goal is truth, then OK. So here we go with another lengthy post from me. Apologies in advance.

I do lean towards the substances in the bottle including something involving fuel - a fuel additive, two-cycle engine oil, something like that. It may not make sense yet as to why it would be there or why it would be used. This is just my 'gut feeling' at the moment which can change as more information is revealed. I keep thinking if I knew what was in the bottle and syringe, it would help my 'yeah' and 'nay' lists as to its relevacy to the murder itself vs the location of the body.

I read a report on the Internet about children's exposure to the three alkanes in the syringe substance, not so much for such revealing information as for my understanding of substances that would include three alkanes together. That report can be found at http://www.tera.org/peer/VCCEP/n-alk... revised.pdf and I read it to get a better understanding of alkanes. I am sharing these thoughts because the alkanes can indeed become Household Weapons.

Excerpts:

These three chemicals present an interesting VCCEP case because the production and use of these chemicals as pure chemicals and high-purity n-alkane process streams is quite small relative to the petroleum substances (i.e., kerosene, jet fuel, home heating oil, hydrocarbon solvents) that contain these n-alkanes as constituents. In addition, almost all (99+%) of the purified n-alkane production is not as single chemicals but as process streams that contain a range of n-alkanes, typically C10-C13, C12-C14, C12-C16, and C14-C16. These n-alkane process streams are consumed as closed-system chemical intermediates in the manufacture of linear alkylbenzenes (LABs), which are a chemical building block for the manufacture of detergents.

A very small volume (estimated at less than 20,000 pounds) is produced in pure form for use as laboratory reagents. There are no known consumer product applications for pure n-decane, n-undecane, and n-dodecane. There are several different types of petroleum substances that may contain these n-alkanes, including aliphatic hydrocarbon solvents (e.g. mineral spirits) and middle-distillate fuels such as kerosene, jet fuel, diesel fuel and home heating oil.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission&#8217;s (CPSC) established standards for childresistant packaging of products that contain 10% or more hydrocarbons with a viscosity less than 100 SUS at 100o F. The standard was implemented in 2002 to avoid accidentalingestion of hydrocarbons by children, which can result in chemical pneumonitis if the ingested material is aspirated into the lungs. The examples from the CPSC of household products and cosmetics covered by the packaging regulation include some baby oils; sunscreens; nail enamel dryers; hair oils; bath, body and massage oils; makeup removers; some automotive chemicals (gasoline additives, fuel injection cleaners, carburetor cleaners); cleaning solvents (wood oil cleaners, metal cleaners, spot removers, adhesive removers); some water repellents containing mineral spirits used for decks, shoes, and sports equipment; and general-use household oil. Some of these hydrocarbon-containing products may contain decane, undecane, and dodecane.

Aliphatic hydrocarbon solvents of the mineral spirits or Stoddard solvent variety are the hydrocarbon solvents most likely to contain n-decane, n-undecane, or n-dodecane.

The oral route of exposure was quickly eliminated because other than accidental ingestion of fuel, paints or solvents, there is no opportunity to ingest normal decane, undecane, or dodecane from other sources, such as drinking water, as alkanes are essentially insoluble in water.

There were no reports found of the target chemicals being detected in food.

STODDARD SOLVENT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Product Identification
Synonyms: White spirits; Mineral spirits type I; Petroleum distillate
CAS No.: 8052-41-3
Molecular Weight: Not applicable to mixtures.
Chemical Formula: > 65% C10 or higher hydrocarbons
Product Codes: V110

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Composition/Information on Ingredients

Ingredient CAS No Percent Hazardous
--------------------------------------- ------------ ------------ ---------

Stoddard Solvent 8052-41-3 98 - 100% Yes

3. Hazards Identification
Emergency Overview
--------------------------
DANGER! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. AFFECTS CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM. MAY AFFECT KIDNEYS. FLAMMABLE LIQUID AND VAPOR. HARMFUL IF INHALED. CAUSES IRRITATION TO SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT.

The package the syringe came in will hopefully have a number that can be traced to where it was distributed. Then maybe if it is found to be a pharmacy that any of the A's get prescriptions or the hospital where Cindy works, ... could be narrowed down a bit. hoping.

The package the syringe came in will hopefully have a number that can be traced to where it was distributed. Then maybe if it is found to be a pharmacy that any of the A's get prescriptions or the hospital where Cindy works, ... could be narrowed down a bit. hoping.

Just FYI, Cindy doesn't work in a hospital. She works in an office.

If dogmom doesn't pop in today I'll call out the Websleuths posse and find her. LOL.

I love your questions. I could answer them but my answers would be totally made up and absolutely ridiculous. Best to wait for the expert.

If dogmom doesn't pop in today I'll call out the Websleuths posse and find her. LOL.

I love your questions. I could answer them but my answers would be totally made up and absolutely ridiculous. Best to wait for the expert.
Tricia,
You are so funny! I cannot tell you the times that you have brought a BIG smile to my face with your humorous antics. Thanks for that!

I'm going to pull a few of my posts from thread 2 to this thread, sorry for the repeat. Here's the first one: With regard to the Crystal Lite bottle with the brown liquid, there has been discussion that it could be spit from a tobacco chewer. My post was:

I have a question about the spit cup theory. Wouldn't a spit cup be loaded with DNA?

It might be, but LE didn't test it for DNA, probably because they figured out it was a spit cup. So at that point they didn't care whose DNA was in there.

hey as long as you have a link to your made up absolutely ridiculous post....not problem :biggrin:

Welcome DogMom
I look forward to reading your posts

Out of curiosity, I have been thinking of the limonene (sic?) that was found in the liquid in the bottle, why would a manufacturer put an orange or pine scent into 2 cycle oil or a car lubricant? Usually they just add colorant to distinguish liquids - like pink transmission fluid and green antifreeze. I pulled the "orange blast" cleaner to look up the ingredients and interestly, it states "A proprietary blend of alkaline detergents and natural orange extract". Funny how they are not forced to put all ingredients on the label, not sure why this company would be exempt, but then again - I have never researched ingredient labels on household cleaners before - wow, I guess I should be posting this on the "you know you are addicted to the case thread".

Welcome dogmom and thanks for all of your insight! :)

Out of curiosity, I have been thinking of the limonene (sic?) that was found in the liquid in the bottle, why would a manufacturer put an orange or pine scent into 2 cycle oil or a car lubricant? Usually they just add colorant to distinguish liquids - like pink transmission fluid and green antifreeze. I pulled the "orange blast" cleaner to look up the ingredients and interestly, it states "A proprietary blend of alkaline detergents and natural orange extract". Funny how they are not forced to put all ingredients on the label, not sure why this company would be exempt, but then again - I have never researched ingredient labels on household cleaners before - wow, I guess I should be posting this on the "you know you are addicted to the case thread".

They just put the MSDS on thir websites, and it seems to work out, especially for commercial chemical manufacturers. I used to be in that business, we did not have to list our ingredients on our bottles in Maryland, DC or Virginia (and any other state we shipped to), as long as we had MSDS and Tech Sheets available.

Dogmom or anyone else that knows,

Besides the testosterone, what would be the purpose of the other ingredients found in the syringe? Were they something someone would inject themselves with?

Dogmom or anyone else that knows,

Besides the testosterone, what would be the purpose of the other ingredients found in the syringe? Were they something someone would inject themselves with?

Resp snipped from JWG, previous thread:

Cyclododecane - Wax like bonding agent
Butylated Hydroxytoluene - BHT - antioxident food additive (preservative)
1-Tridecanol - Broad usage as a solvent
Testosterone Propionate - Anabolic steroid
1-Tetradecanol - Common in cosmetics as an emollient
Phenol, 2,2'-methylenebis[6-(1,1-dimethylethyl)-4-methyl - Sometimes used in fungicides
1-Tridecene - Possible biopesticide - known to attract beetles
9-Hexadecenoic acid, phenylmethyl ester, (Z)- - Some pesticide use
3,5-di-tert-Butyl-4-hydroxybenzaldehyde - Chemical intermediate for manufacture of pesticides
Eicosane - Used in the creation and/or manufacturing of fragrance and flavor concentrates
Dodecanoic acid, phenylmethyl ester - Anti-microbial
Decanoic acid, phenylmethyl ester - Sometimes used in injectible pharmaceuticals
3 Cyclohexene-1-methanol, .alpha.,.alpha.4-trimethyl- - Used in manufacture of flavors and fragrances
Pyrene - Used to make dyes and dye precursors
Octacosane - Pesticide use
2,6-di-tert-Butyl-4-(dimethylaminomethyl)pheonol - Stabilizer

Looks like preservatives, emulsifiers, carrier agents for the testosterone.

Could it not be the case that the reason there was very little Chloroform left was because it was all inhaled by Caylee?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petoskey
Back