Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my opinion only.

The Moderators on WS are all unpaid volunteers who donate their own time to help in keeping this forum running.

If they are forced to make their presence visible to everyone I can foresee a problem. Here's a hypothetical. Lets say a member has a problem that they feel needs immediate attention. They see that a mod is online so they send that mod a PM asking that they address the problem.

This particular mod is trying to take care of a some things on the forum before leaving to take care important personal business and doesn't have time to respond to the members problem.

The member only knows that the mod was online and didn't do anything to take care of their problem. They get mad and post on this thread that the mod ignored them and didn't do anything to resolve the problem.

See the problem here? These mods don't owe us anything. They will do what they can when they have the time.

Demanding that they have to make their presence known to all is not justified by any means. JMO

I see exactly what you are saying Ranch. If a member gets angry because they think a mod is ignoring them and then they post about it, well, that is a big violation of TOS.

Hopefully, members will only contact mods when there is an extreme emergency. Like someone exploding on a forum. We are going to give it a try and see how it works.

Thank you Ranch. I appreciate your well thought out input.

I see staff online now. Good decision.

Yes, it is a good decision. However, it’s Dave and he’s not a mod. At least we can see that there is no mod available. There are fewer active mods than there were on the other site IMO. I recently looked through the list of mods and there are a few who never moved over to the new site. So the ones who are here are spread thin. But at least we know whether someone is available, which is very helpful. :)

Yes, it is a good decision. However, it’s Dave and he’s not a mod. At least we can see that there is no mod available. There are fewer active mods than there were on the other site IMO. I recently looked through the list of mods and there are a few who never moved over to the new site. So the ones who are here are spread thin. But at least we know whether someone is available, which is very helpful. :)

Maybe there can be an updated list of staff. I noticed that too. Tagging someone who is not currently active is not going to be helpful.

That is our new announcement box we are trying out. No need to worry about it. We are testing it just like it says.

JMO
I like the announcement box. I like it a LOT :)

I think it is shown no matter what thread you are on and the black background is nice because the text jumps out.

It looks to me like it a great place to put any announcements that you want everyone to see. Like if a small tweak is going to happen then we can be forewarned in that box. It may go a long ways to helping people not get so frustrated when we experience a small delay and it is known in advance that its going to happen due to some known maintenance.

Obviously it would be very important to be sure and remove the note as soon as the known maintenance is completed.

So long as the messages are on point and always updated to be accurate and removed when done then I think it is a really nice place for it. It looks really good and grabs attention.

Friendly Suggestion:
Maybe when no messages are needed there can be a default message in that spot instead of blank box. Maybe something like "Message Area: No current Notices"

Thanks so much to Tricia and Dave for all the hard work you both are doing to make WS such an enjoyable place. It is really appreciated by so many and we can never thank you enough. :)

Maybe the "online" list should only be for moderators and not all staff members. New members might try to contact Dave to help in the threads not knowing any better. I think he probably has better things to do and wouldn't be able to help them anyway.

I haven't been on here much recently because my laptop is on it's last legs-- it's held together with duct tape right now and may be having hard drive issues :( but I had some time today to browse more and check out some new threads. I just wanted to say that I really like the addition of the "staff online" section. And I'm excited for the announcements area returning to the top. That feature has been greatly missing from the new site, IMO. So far today the site is running really well for me. No posting issues or slow downs at all today. Great work Dave and Tricia! Whatever you are doing, keep doing it. :)

Yeah, I see what you mean Lilibet. Although, I like the "Staff Online" thing as a feature. Another Xen forum that I visit uses it (not crime related) and it's very helpful.

I really like the added feature for the "Staff Online" section! thank you, Dave and Tricia!

now.... can anyone tell me what a "WS Liason" and a "Well-Known Member" means as far as staff? Are they considered mods, or do they have a specific role here?
Dave needs to have "tech" added to his title. upload_2018-8-7_15-54-34.jpeg

I have seen it come and go all day so unless Dave is playing around with the system, I think it probably disappears when no staff members are online?

Thanks Ana. I did wonder if it just didn't show if none were here. Either of your ideas could be right.

Dave is here now, and the Staff box is back. I think yoy were right, Ana. one less thing to confuse me. ;)

What do you do if you think a thread was closed by accident? Is that even possible?

What do you do if you think a thread was closed by accident? Is that even possible?

I don't see how it would get closed "by accident'' since it takes Tricia or a mod to do that. But you can send a PM (converstion) to them to ask, I would guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member