Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Discussion in 'Welcome To Websleuths' started by Tricia, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching & Waiting

I use that feature a lot too and I hope it will return. Although I have my list of “watched threads,” the “new threads” and “new posts” were my only way to find new threads to follow or to catch posts on threads I had stopped watching. Otherwise it’s impossible to know what’s new. I feel your pain. :(

2. FlossyMay

FlossyMay Well-Known Member

I use the recent threads/recent posts everyday too. So I know how you feel. Now that they are gone, I go to the forums that I'm most interested in (missing person discussion for instance) and click on Watch Forum. That way I get an alert whenever anyone starts a new thread. This seems a little convoluted, but it's the only way I can figure out what's going on around here.

3. Lilibet

Good news!! I see that History and New Posts are back as menu items next to Watched Threads near the top of the page. Small print, so I didn’t notice them earlier and don’t know how long they’ve been there.

Thanks so much, Dave. :)

4. neesaki

neesaki Well-Known Member

I’m sure I’ll get drilled for this, but I wonder why we have orange and black, Halloween colors ?

5. FlossyMay

FlossyMay Well-Known Member

Because we sleuth monsters. I think it suits me though. Sometimes I can be a real witch. ;)

6. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

I have only read a bit of this thread. I can barely post most times I am on. I get the spinny wheel of reload. The screen flashes to lack and reloads the site. I am not sure what is happening. But, my mac says consistently (in the activity monitor) that WS is using 73% or more of my cpu. Everything is hanging. This is the only site I have trouble with-- if I immediately switch to another site, it loads and connects with no spinny wheel of death. I can't even type on this page now with out a delay. Maddening. Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 2.35.56 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  7. kaen

Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 2.50.54 AM.png And, then this. Apple says that ultimately the process can fry my hard drive.

8. kaen

This is when I close WS... Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 2.56.07 AM.png And, when I open it again... Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 3.01.45 AM.png and this Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 3.03.31 AM.png . Cn something be done?

9. kaen

When I am in Chrome it looks like this... Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 3.24.49 AM.png

10. kaen

When I am in Chrome it looks like this... View attachment 142561 . All of which makes my computer run very hot despite the fan and other cooling.

11. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

I did that - that's when my problems started... and a new problem.

The NEW problem - every morning now I have to "Log In" to WS and yes, I click the thing that says "stay logged in", but it doesn't happened. And that "consent" and "accept" come up.

Very frustrating....

Yes! I'm not getting my Alerts correctly either.

And I'm sorry to see the "Birthdays" gone... Is there another way to find out whose birthdays are for today? TIA!

12. angelainwi

angelainwi Certified Trauma Counselor

Phew, a couple more clicks but so glad to have a way to see what the hot cases and to see where the activity is. I can take a deep breath.

13. Suglo

Suglo Well-Known Member

New posts never left. You just had to click the dot dot dot next to watched forums and watched threads. :)

Lilibet, KaaBoom, dms and 2 others like this.
  14. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Well-Known Member

Are the latest replies links showing up anywhere? Oops, forgot to refresh. Yay, there they are.

Lilibet, bluesneakers and Suglo like this.
  15. Eleven_11

Eleven_11 Well-Known Member

My birthday is on Tuesday if that helps any!:D :p

flute4peace, Niner, flourish and 5 others like this.
  16. imstilla.grandma

Well, that’s scary.

flourish, KaaBoom, Hazelnutty and 2 others like this.
  17. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

I have a Mac, and just opened 5 threads to see what would happen re: CPU load and this is my result
    Screen Shot 2018-08-18 at 10.53.43 AM.png

flourish, KaaBoom, Lilibet and 2 others like this.
  18. Lilibet

Get thee to the Geek Squad before it fries, kaen. I was having a lot of spinny wheel on many sites with my ancient MacBook, and some cleaning up helped a lot. I don’t use it for WS. But it’s very strange that you are ONLY getting that with WS. If you read back in the thread you will see that all devices are effected, especially when Dave is working on the site. I hope he has some insight for you.

Things have been going well lately on my iPad, but it was struggling earlier.

flourish, KaaBoom, Hazelnutty and 3 others like this.
  19. imstilla.grandma

@kaen and others with similar/opposite findings - your recent posts are assisting this thread in a real positive interactive manner. Who knows who else you may be helping? Or who could be helping you? This thread can turn itself around and move forward to rediscover the spirit of this thread ~ welcome...

20. kaen

Are you using Safari?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.