Welcome To Websleuths # 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
HISTORY IS BACK....at least for me.

It's like Christmas over here.

THANK YOU DAVE!

A people without the knowledge of their past history, origin and culture is like a tree without roots.
~ Marcus Garvey

:rolleyes::p:D;):):oops:

Do not get your hopes up too much, it may stay or it may not.

Thank you for putting it back. Its presence may determine whether I stay or not.

Like anyone cares. :p

But it is true.

I get what you are saying Gardenista, and I think your points are accurate on the Watched Read, Watched thread. For me it’s not so much as the content end all being the same, my point is the simple EASE of History versus going to Watched threads. Either if going to the bottom or clicking on a box to confirm, these are additional steps; cumbersome in regards to what we were accustomed to on the old site.

In regards to freeing up space, I think the multitude pages of old watched threads dating back to 2010 are much more voluminous than the 50 thread maximum cap in History on one page.

I’m not at all implying those should be swapped out or deleted for History, I am making the comparison only for the sake of History to NOT BE DELETED. It’s a lifesaver for navigating the changes and beyond.

Have you tried clearing your old watched threads by pushing "mark all threads as read"? After I did that just once the watched threads list became a much easier tool to use to see what I still had left to read as far as new posts on current threads I am following. I only have a large number of thread in the watched thread list if I choose to view them all or if I don't stop by for several days.

Dave and Tricia, @WS Admin

May I respectfully request that you give us a template/itinerary, even if rough, for what is actively being tweaked on the site.

To date, as I understood it you were addressing the many issues classified as ‘most important’ first. Got it, made perfect sense to get through those as a priority. From there the other site issues important to us, such as the preferences we are now encountering would be tabled.

Can you please provide a *format* method of which to communicate with us about changes that we most likely want to weigh in on? As in, many of us have communicated with Admin the general things we don’t care about being removed permanently. A few: Birthdays, FB, Trophy points, Likes, etc.

As far as our request to add things, such as ‘Delete’ along with the others that have been expressed, I’m sure there are also others that were not yet expressed or surmised. We have patiently put those on Hold as requested.

Please respond to clarify as to what can be expected during this particular stage so that we can facilitate it accordingly, *format*.

Thank you

I understand you want this but if you were to come sit in my chair you would understand that this is not possible.

Quick poll results to date 11-0 in favour of keeping History Mystery.

Interesting, Before taking a poll lets phrase it in a meaningful way. How about this, How many of you are willing to put up with the slow downs and shut downs every 30 minutes so that you may continue to have history (or whatever it is I determine to be the culprit)?

Have you tried clearing your old watched threads by pushing "mark all threads as read"? After I did that just once the watched threads list became a much easier tool to use to see what I still had left to read as far as new posts on current threads I am following. I only have a large number of thread in the watched thread list if I choose to view them all or if I don't stop by for several days.

Yes, I’ve done that. It’s still additional steps. As it is I’m not getting to threads that previously and visually caught my attention. To begin with, finding them at all is challenging.

I understand you want this but if you were to come sit in my chair you would understand that this is not possible.

Interesting, Before taking a poll lets phrase it in a meaningful way. How about this, How many of you are willing to put up with the slow downs and shut downs every 30 minutes so that you may continue to have history (or whatever it is I determine to be the culprit)?

Can you elaborate? Is this a Server issue? It’s pretty clear we don’t want to lose History.

I know I’m going to get it for saying this :oops: but count me on the ones that prefer to be able to read and post than to have the history tab. I think I use history a couple of times per week. If one uses the watched threads correctly there is no need to have a history unless you’re into reading threads that are closed and/or have no new posts. You can always bookmark those in your browser or do a search for them.

I know I’m going to get it for saying this :oops: but count me on the ones that prefer to be able to read and post than to have the history tab. I think I use history a couple of times per week. If one uses the watched threads correctly there is no need to have a history unless you’re into reading threads that are closed and/or have no new posts. You can always bookmark those in your browser or do a search for them.

It’s not a matter of knowing how to use Watched threads correctly.

As I said in a previous post. It is all about a very poorly written add on. It may be the history add on it may not be. Seems a small handful of people are under the impression that the only reason I did this is because I am evil.

Yes, it is clear nobody wants to lose history. It should also be clear that I have to do what is best for websleuths at the time that is best for websleuths. I am not afforded the opportunity to make changes because somebody wants it that way. A handful of people understand 1% of what is going on and lack (rightfully so) the ability to understand the other 99% because it is very heavy tech stuff. These people think things should be done in accordance to the 1% they do understand. I will continue to look at 100% of the picture and will base all of my decisions on that 100%.

This x1000. Using "Watched Threads" (and "Watched Forums") requires a little more management on the part of the user, but the payoff is that it's pretty efficient.

It could be handy to have the nav bar that contains Watched Forums, etc. repeated at the bottom of the page like the Home->Forums etc. bar is.

Dave @WS Admin,

Are the ‘Poorly Written Ads’ related to tiers of the current software grade chosen by WS for the new site?

I ask because you stated earlier on in your ‘good and bad’ details post that the bad-downside is the site is being run on a lower cost Xen tier. I appreciate that, and the choice is respected. My question is in a sincere effort to gauge the constant tweaking going on.

I realize Add-ons are price pointed and budgetary. If this is what you are dealing with then it makes more sense to what you mentioned about the working out of kinks possibly taking months. If you are juggling a budget balance to accommodate site tech issues then this can be ongoing indefinitely.

We are fairly after the clarity of just knowing what we can expect at this point.

Yes, I’ve done that. It’s still additional steps. As it is I’m not getting to threads that previously and visually caught my attention. To begin with, finding them at all is challenging.

Ok, I guess I don't navigate the site in the same way, because I have not had any issue trying to find my threads when I use the watch thread feature. No problem if you have a different method, just trying to help. Have you tried consulting your browser history? Unless you have it disabled or are using private browsing the same history of which threads you visited is saved by your web browser. Maybe that could help if the History tab has to go away again.

I don't understand your first paragraph.

If you had told us you were removing history for maintenance ( or looking for bad adware or ???) as when search function was removed, I would not have done a poll as it would have been expected.
We are experiencing slow downs
continually even when history was offline.

If you had told us you were removing history for maintenance ( or looking for bad adware or ???) as when search function was removed, I would not have done a poll as it would have been expected.
We are experiencing slow downs continually even when history was offline.
Yesterday, Dave did post "I have removed History . . . "
I have removed History, similar threads as well as the recent threads/posts in the sidebar. At this time I cannot say what of these items will return.

Welcome To Websleuths # 3

As I said in a previous post. It is all about a very poorly written add on. It may be the history add on it may not be. Seems a small handful of people are under the impression that the only reason I did this is because I am evil.

Yes, it is clear nobody wants to lose history. It should also be clear that I have to do what is best for websleuths at the time that is best for websleuths. I am not afforded the opportunity to make changes because somebody wants it that way. A handful of people understand 1% of what is going on and lack (rightfully so) the ability to understand the other 99% because it is very heavy tech stuff. These people think things should be done in accordance to the 1% they do understand. I will continue to look at 100% of the picture and will base all of my decisions on that 100%.

Who are "these people" ? Do you
mean us the users?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members