Well-dressed monkey at Ikea store

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by brighidin, Dec 10, 2012.

1. brighidin

brighidin remember me as a time of day

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2012/12/10/toronto-ikea-monkey.html

A monkey wearing a stylish shearling coat ran across the parking lot of a Toronto Ikea store on Sunday.
    More at link.

He's pretty cute and has a nice coat. It is illegal to own a monkey in Ontario. I wonder if it will be taken away from the owners. I wonder if the owner was wearing a yellow hat. :eek:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ey-found-roaming-toronto-ikea/article6140276/

"A city of Toronto spokesman said the monkey is a rhesus macaque, a species that is illegal in Ontario. "

2. Loading...

3. CMac2

CMac2 New Member

When I saw this story all I could think was, "I want that monkey. And his coat!" What an adorable creature.

Sent from Android using Tapatalk 2

4. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

I wonder if he can assemble the furniture.

5. animlzrule

animlzrule New Member

Poor thing. How can people be so cruel? I mean, I anthropomorphize my pets, but keeping monkeys or other wild animals as pets, dressing them, bringing them out in public....stupid and cruel. If they find the "owners", they should incur an enormous fine, payable to an animal shelter.

6. Elley Mae

Elley Mae The enemy is here. beware

I want to know why the monkey in Dora the explorer wears boots.

7. CMac2

CMac2 New Member

So his feet won't get cold! :p

Sent from Android using Tapatalk 2

8. Elley Mae

And what do you feed a well dressed monkey?

9. brighidin

brighidin remember me as a time of day

They were fined a couple hundred bucks, and the monkey is going to be sent to a sanctuary.
    http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/ca...ikea-will-be-sent-to-sanctuary-182835031.html

Apparently they fed him grapes. :D

10. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Aw is he cute. The first thing I thought when I saw his photo, How cute it would be to hold his hand while he was walking a small dog on a leash. Silly, I know....

11. michmi

michmi New Member

I'm glad he's going to a sanctuary, the poor thing.

12. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Fark.com has a link to the story, introduced by the line

13. CatMama3

CatMama3 New Member

Poor little guy.

I'll assume (yeah, I know) that his humans meant well (diaper and absolutely smashing coat), but still. Monkeys aren't domesticated animals, and eventually Darwin and his peeps would have had huge problems.

In a way, I'm glad he jumped ship (car) and was found as a youngster. He needs to be with other rhesuses (sp?) in a safe, appropriate environment.

OTOH, he would make an awesome monkey-model for LL Bean or REI! I can see the ad now: What Today's Smart Simian is Sporting for Snow!

14. CarmelEyesD

CarmelEyesD Active Member

15. Elley Mae

16. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

Ikea monkey to stay at primate sanctuary while 'mom' fights for his return (globaltoronto.com)
    more at the link

First recorded reference of Ikea being referred to as "the wild."

17. Hez

Hez New Member

If you watch the video of him in the store, he actually goes up to the elevator. I really think he just wanted to go shopping, or maybe play in the ball pit, while his 'mom' was shopping. :floorlaugh:

18. txsvicki

txsvicki New Member

My husband used to deliver to a little hamburger stand years ago. The lady owner would bring her monkey to work and he'd sit around on a stool at the counter, and was trained to use a toilet. Finally, it started getting older and would climb the telephone pole and throw rocks at cars, so she had to make other arrangements.

19. otto

otto Verified Expert

She's lucky she got off with such a light fine for having an illegal exotic pet.

"The rhesus was declared the “worst choice” for a pet by an exotic pet-rating program of EcoHealth Alliance, called PetWatch.

It can carry deadly diseases without showing symptoms. An escaped pet rhesus monkey in South Florida was captured in October after three years on the loose. The rogue monkey was featured in a New York Times Magazine article in which the trapper said the monkey would stare him in the eye when shot with a tranquilizer and pull the dart out before escaping into the woods to sleep the drug off. Testing found it carried the hepatitis B and herpes viruses.

The rhesus can turn aggressive and attack owners, children and other family pets. Born Free USA documents several incidents a month in which monkeys bite humans.

Toronto’s Municipal Code has the rhesus on a list of prohibited pets, punishable with a fine of up to $5,000."

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...the_rhesus_macaque_is_a_worst_choice_pet.html

20. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

:laughcry:

A well dressed banana! :Bananacostume:

I've also heard that you need a fully equipped playground for a recess monkey. :giggle:

I wonder if his coat is made of real animal hide and fur? :waitasec:

21. Steely Dan

Steely Dan Former Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFAXtVdMIc8"]Global National - Darwin the IKEA monkey in a coat ACTUAL video and sanctuary trip - YouTube[/ame]