Well?? This is really great news.

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Buzz Mills, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Buzz Mills

Buzz Mills New Member

People all over the world are stockpiling Tamiflu, to have on hand for the, what they believe to be, impending bird-flu pandemic.

Latest statistics for 8 bird-flu patients, treated by Tami-flu. 4 lived, 4 died, the same statistics, for those untreated with Tami-flu; a 50% mortality rate.

2. Loading...

3. txsvicki

txsvicki Active Member

My grandkids' pediatrician believes that bird flu will be here in the U.S. either next year or the next. I assumed that he meant mutated into humans but I need to ask him next time I am at the office.

4. Buzz Mills

Buzz Mills New Member

I think the bird migration loop, and the time frame, mean that the next time birds migrate South from Alaska, and Canada, the bird flu should be here, and there is a very good chance it may have mutated by then, and come into the country from any direction..

5. CyberLaw

CyberLaw Former Member

This bird flu has been around for 40, 50 years and has not mutated in a form for human to human contact.

So anyone who is saying: It will be here next year, is trying to answer the queston that all of the Scientist in the world cannot.

If it has not mutated in the last 40 years, I fail to see the logic that it will mutate in the next year or two.

I am sorry to say: But Tamilflu is not going to make a significant difference.

6. JBean

JBean Retired WS Administrator

To add to the mess,there is a lot of bogus tamiflu being sold as well.

7. dancingdaisy

dancingdaisy ^j^

I read somewhere that they think it may be becoming resistant to Tamiflu. I will try to find the link.

8. dancingdaisy

dancingdaisy ^j^

9. joanofarc

joanofarc Justice for All Women and Children

For those that want to know...I read that Donald Rumsfeld used to be chair of the board of Gilead Sciences (the inventor of Tamiflu)...it is reported that he may be one of the largest, if not the largest owner of stock options in this drug....isn't that an interesting little tidbit....hmmm??

http://money.cnn.com/2005/10/31/news/newsmakers/fortune_rumsfeld/

10. Linda7NJ

Linda7NJ New Member

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM is right!:waitasec:

11. Marthatex

Marthatex New Member

There is another anti-viral, Rilenza, that might be more effective, but it can't be stored as long as it is a spray.

Also, Tamiflu hasn't helped against the bird to human strain, but is it possible a weaker human to human strain would be more susceptible to Tamiflu? I really don't know.