West of Memphis

He looks smug to me, but if you've ever seen or been around a true convict this is how they stand. Arms in front, feet apart, head cocked back. They all look smug and arrogent, imo. Learned behavior. It probably comes natural to him at this point. IMO

There has always been something about DE that has bothered me. Not sure if he's guilty or not, but I tend to lean towards him alone being guilty. I've read everything there is to read and even though some evidence points elsewhere..something about him makes me so uneasy. I wonder how his wife is adjusting to him being home? Is it everything she thought it would be?

I wonder about their life together now also.

Again, people see what they want to see. As to the marriage, AFAIK, everything is great. I've heard nothing about any rift between Damien and Lorri, much to the chagrin of the nons! Believe me, if there were trouble in the marriage, it would be all over Facebook and Twitter and who knows where else? They might even re-institute The Hoax to report that. The strain on their marriage from all of the public pressure must be enormous.

There's been too much of that kind of thing in this case already, like with Exhibit 500. "Ooh, Damien had problems as a teen. He must be a murderer." That's crazy logic, just as it would be crazy to assume that, should the marriage fail, it would be because Damien killed Christopher, Michael and Stevie. It simply doesn't follow.

I agree with you on this point. I don't think their marriage failing would be indicative of the guilt of DE.

I do think it's possible that they will grow apart. Just from my limited reading about them, it doesn't seem they have much in common other than the drive for his release from prison.

I agree with you on this point. I don't think their marriage failing would be indicative of the guilt of DE.

I do think it's possible that they will grow apart. Just from my limited reading about them, it doesn't seem they have much in common other than the drive for his release from prison.

I just finished reading Damien's new book, Life After Death, and I now feel that the marriage is strong. In the book, he discusses how their relationship grew and what they share. Although it is true that getting Damien released was a compelling drive that they both shared, they also had very similar philosophies on many other things as well. Plus, there's still the push for exoneration to bind them. I hope that the marriage works, but it wouldn't be that surprising if it didn't!

this doc is being shown at a festival in NYC tomorrow. im going...so are damien, lorrie etc for a Q&A.....should be interesting

I believe they are innocent-but this picture of Damien just rubs me the wrong way..don't ask me why-it just does!!!

he looks like he's still in prison mode to me. defensive tilt of the head. still holding his hands together as if cuffed and protecting the eyes. he's got a lot of anger to work out. makes me sad.

have the movie!can't wait to watch it...but I wanna see the 3 lost paradise movies first (I've seen the first part looong ago,don't remember much)

Finally saw it! Yay! A lot of the same information but the David Jacoby and Amanda segments were very compelling. I honestly don't think DJ had anything to do with their deaths. Amanda is simply heartbreaking. I sincerely hope she can find a way to move on in a positive direction in her life. Getting as far away from WM as possible would be a healthy start. That area seems to be so toxic for so many. It is incredibly sad to think about all of the victims of this case and the compounded grief they have all suffered. One of America's greatest personal tragedies, indeed.

Finally saw it! Yay! A lot of the same information but the David Jacoby and Amanda segments were very compelling. I honestly don't think DJ had anything to do with their deaths. Amanda is simply heartbreaking. I sincerely hope she can find a way to move on in a positive direction in her life. Getting as far away from WM as possible would be a healthy start. That area seems to be so toxic for so many. It is incredibly sad to think about all of the victims of this case and the compounded grief they have all suffered. One of America's greatest personal tragedies, indeed.

You expressed exactly what I was about to post after seeing the film. Aside from what you mentioned, I didn't learn anything new and I wonder if anyone who followed this saga or saw all the paradise lost films felt the same way.

i am interested to see 'west of memphis' - i don't post a lot, but am sure you all have seen from my posts that i believe the WM3 to be guilty. i am really looking, reading, being as openminded as possible - but i am still not convinced, at all, that the WM3 are innocent.

have watched all 3 of the 'lost' documentaries, read the 1st devils knot book, the 'blood of innocents' book, and have read every thread on this site. have also spent hours reading the transcripts @ www callahan - i am just NOT seeing/feeling any warm fuzzies for these 3 guys. to me - it seems like the cops had the bad guys right where they belonged.

will be interesting to watch/read what happens going forward. frankly ... i'm not seeing exonerations flying around anytime soon.

but i am trying to keep an open mind. those 3 little boys deserve justice.

I feel similarly after watching West of Memphis this past weekend at a showing here locally. I am glad I saw it. I have been a fence-sitter for some time, with a leaning towards guilt (at least for Damien, not as convinced about Jason) but this documentary did shed a light on a few things that were pretty compelling. I knew, obviously, going in to it that it'd have a heavily slant towards their innocence so I was trying to have an open mind. I'm still not convinced that they are innocent by any means but the documentary did make me question a few things. They also conveniently left out a lot of pretty damning evidence regarding their possible guilt, especially when it comes to Damien. =/ It'd be interesting if a bunch of nons could come up with a documentary with THEIR slant to even the scales a bit. I do tend to still sway pretty heavily towards them being guilty and would looove to see a documentary basically stating the OTHER side of the story. I just have a hard time buying that they're innocent with everything I've read pertaining to this case, no matter what the documentaries may try to make us believe.

what I don't get is....most of the people (even the guilty ones) who end up in jail become very vocal (human instinct,they want out,whether innocent or guilty)....but these 3 (especially Baldwin and Jessie)...it always seemed like they accepted their faith from the beginning....they seemed so calm about it...I am not talking about their supporters (who always were very passionate,vocal and active about it),I am talking about them ....they never fought,they never yelled they're innocent,they weren't angry about the situation ,nor desperate(that's the feeling I had when watching PL)...they just accepted it and period,I don't get it...how can you be so calm ,relaxed (smoking your cigarette) when you were wrongfully accused of such a HORRIBLE crime?:waitasec:Their behavior in court is telling too.....Jessie seems ashamed of his own words,Bladwin is calm and lost like always and DE has no problem whatsoever with anything....not sayin that all this points to guilt,it just makes me wonder...

?I keep falling back on that, too. Their demeanor. I keep seeing people say that you can never know how you would act in that situation. Rubbish. I guarantee you if I was truly innocent of a crime I was being tried for (MURDERING THREE INNOCENT LITTLE BABIES!!), I would be SICK to my stomach and yelling it from the rooftops that I was innocent! I sure as hell wouldn't be acting like a prick while on the stand and I wouldn't be joking about my son's first words being 'capital murder', either. It just doesn't scream innocent to me, at all.

It's clear to me when it comes to DE and his behavior its mostly show off and desire to shock....even his comments re his sons first words and him being kinda proud when saying kids probably will consider him the new boogie man and so....this is just him being a teenager who needs attention....his style changed when he grew up....

it's the other two I don't get like I said....them being so calm about the situation they were in,how easy they accepted 'that they were charged for torturing 3 little boys...or maybe they didn't REALIZE what was happening?Who knows....maybe that town being so TOXIC made them react/think/behave like that,no idea....

DE told the Fort Worth Star Telegram:

The Big Mac Blog: During the sentencing why not stand up and scream ‘I’m not guilty?!’
Damien Echols: People always ask me – ‘if that were me’ – no you wouldn’t. It’s a hostage situation. How many times do you see a hostage screaming? Never. You are hoping that if you cooperate you can come out with the teeth left in your head. If you start that they will beat you down. It’s not any imposition for them. These people love doing it. The prison guards get off on hurting you. You scream or yell they will mess you up.
In a hostage situation you know that if they hurt you someone is going to kill them. In this situation they are probably going to get a medal.
Keep in mind we were kids – 16, 17, 18 – and had been sitting in a jail cell for a year before we go to trial. You have been devastated on every level of your being and you have holes blown in you like hand grenades.

Damien was a legal adult, NOT a kid.

The Big Mac Blog: Aspirations for a child?
Damien Echols: I have a 19 year old son. I’ve seen him once since I’ve been out. We don’t know each other. I’ve missed his entire childhood. We are trying but he is not a child any more. In the end it will probably be more like friends than parents.

you would think from all he has been through he would want a relationship with his son, but I guess not.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-damien-echols-of-the-west-memphis-three.html

could not find part 1.

how anyone could defend this and his cohorts is beyond me.

Damien Echols: I don’t have a relationship at all with Jessie and from what I have heard he doesn’t have a relationship with anybody. He closed himself in his house and closed himself off. He had an IQ of 68 and then you dump all of this on him and he’s never going to have anything close to a real life. They say he is terrified they are going to find a reason to put him back in prison.

hmmmm....weird comment

there is one thing that came to my mind while following the latest in the Michael Peterson case....cops screwing up and a suspects innocence are always connected but sometimes in a wrong way....take the MP case for ex....okay ,a witness screwed up....does this mean MP is innocent?NO.but unfortunately he gets a new trial because a witness screwing up means the evidence wasn't properly presented to the jury.....
I blame the cops in the WM3 case and I don't agree with what was and how it was presented to the jury...does this mean I support the Wm3's innocence? NO (I really still am on the fence re this ).BUT because of how the investigation was conducted we may NEVER really know the truth and THAT's the real problem (for me at least)....
A shallow investigation leaves a wide open door for interpretation....nothing good came out of it...if the wm3 are guilty then they were lucky because so many people fought for them believing in their innocence (why?because the cops didn't do their jobs properly)....if they are innocent,same story,they went to jail because the cops screwed up and were lucky to get their hands on Jessie M.....
no matter how you look at it,poor police work leads to confusion....

you know - one thing that really gets to me in all of DE's interviews which i have read ... it's always "we think this" "we did this because ..." "we believe ...whatever" - it's the "we" - reminds me of a politician who is avoiding an issue, lol - it's "we" if it's something wrong, but "I" if it's something good :)

it's just nags at me for some reason, so it's difficult for me to stay open-minded to try to really listen to what he is saying.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back