What are your theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the NAMUS thread:

But according to another site, it was created for the band in 1996, after Jason's death. And on the singer's 20th birthday, which is 1996.

The History of the Heartagram
http://www.ehow.com/facts_5130038_history-heartagram.html#ixzz2UsUloxv3

To me, it always looked like an amateur, home-done tattoo, and the edges are just rounded due to inexperience not because it's the heartagram. Sites indicate it was not a professional tattoo.
See my post below

HIM was called HER in Us, then bought the rights to the name from HiS. Ville Vale designed the symbol in Nov 1996 on his 20th birthday. But what if that's just a marketing ploy and the symbol was around before 1995, even maybe from HiS?

How old would you judge the star tattoo? And what about his other tattoo...what could the design be and how old does it look?

i think it's more likely, given the timing and popularity of the symbol, that we're seeing something that doesn't exist. sure it's possible the HIM symbol existed prior to the band but unless we can find some other significance i think we're just looking at jason doe's tattoo wrong.

i think it's more likely, given the timing and popularity of the symbol, that we're seeing something that doesn't exist. sure it's possible the HIM symbol existed prior to the band but unless we can find some other significance i think we're just looking at jason doe's tattoo wrong.

I dont think so, a star is one of the first symbols a kid learns how to draw...right behind a square and a circle. If the edges had been a little rounded I could see that but these look to be done that way deliberately, especially considering the sharpness of the other points and the symmetrical nature of the rounded corners.

Jason had two tattoos, one a star and the other faded vein-like. The faded one: what could it be and why is it so faded!

I dont think so, a star is one of the first symbols a kid learns how to draw...right behind a square and a circle. If the edges had been a little rounded I could see that but these look to be done that way deliberately, especially considering the sharpness of the other points and the symmetrical nature of the rounded corners.

i was saying i don't think the tattoo is related to the band HIM's logo as others have theorized.

i was saying i don't think the tattoo is related to the band HIM's logo as others have theorized.

Im still waiting on an email from the band H.I.M but it should clear up any doubts about if they were opening for other bands in the U.S at that time.

Im still waiting on an email from the band H.I.M but it should clear up any doubts about if they were opening for other bands in the U.S at that time.

awesome. good on you for trying to get that information.

Straight lines in drawing can be a skill for some. And straight lines in tattooing are even more of a skill, and this is an amateur tattoo. This tattoo is full of imperfections and inconsistencies. The rounded sides are not on the same side.

If this were a heartagram or something like that before HIM "invented" it, the bottom point of a heart would be more pointed than this.

Jason had a second tattoo not the star. Unfortunately I can't attach the image. Has anyone seen it and have any ideas?

Straight lines in drawing can be a skill for some. And straight lines in tattooing are even more of a skill, and this is an amateur tattoo. This tattoo is full of imperfections and inconsistencies. The rounded sides are not on the same side.

If this were a heartagram or something like that before HIM "invented" it, the bottom point of a heart would be more pointed than this.

totally agree. it also wouldn't have faded that much if it were a professional tattoo. if the guy is maximum age 30 then the tattoo couldn't be more than 10 - 12 years old. they don't fade like that if they're done by a pro.

Another good point, masootz. Same with the other tattoo.

Links to the faded tattoo, remember they're upside down

So this is a tattoo that is upside down on this leg? On his upper thigh? In the front or back? If in the front, this makes me think he was possibly tattooing his own leg giving the direction and location.

That goes along with it being unfinished, inconsistent, and faded. The type and quality of ink in a professional tattoo would not fade like this.

It's possible he was dabbling in tattooing. This does not really narrow things down unfortunately as anyone can tattoo themselves with some basic materials with no paper trail in the non-professional setting.

EDIT: NOT the leg. From Doe "Faint veining pattern over the right upper arm resembling a faint tattoo."

It was on the upper arm so it's likely that he just knew someone who did home tattoos if it is indeed a tattoo.

Are there any other theories on what it could be?

Just brainstorming here.

Could be a cheap jailhouse tattoo as well.

If he was right handed theres no way he tattooed his own shoulder.Its physically impossible.

The lightness of the pigment certainly points to an amateur of some sort.

Do they routinely do cheap tattoos at Grateful Dead Concerts?

Also looking back at the photos I can see what you were talking about in regards to the overall sloppiness of the design.

Still waiting to hear back from the band H.I.M as well.

Stars are also associated with Wicca...could someone have started and then stopped either due to pain or lack of time and not put the circle around it?

I dont really have a theory on this but this guy looks an AWFUL lot like a guy wearing a tye died shirt a friend and I picked up on Route 1 from Florida to Va when I was 21....That was 22 years ago so Im not sure the math is right.This guy was a HUGE Grateful Dead fan who told us he was travelling the country following them wherever they played.

I remember him because he actually saved our lives.We were having trouble with our catalytic converter which I fixed before we picked him up at a service station in SC I believe. I had been driving 10 hours straight under very stressful conditions (30mph top speed going across the Savannah bridge in rush hour traffic) until I knocked a hole in the converter with a hammer.

I was falling asleep behind the wheel and my friend didnt have a license. I actually dozed off and ran off the road a number of times before this guy talked me into letting him drive. I asked him if he was going to kill us in our sleep and he laughed and said no so I handed him the keys. I was THAT tired to trust a total stranger to drive.

We dropped him off in Richmond Va about 6 hours from his goal of New York.

So that would have been in 1991? If the age estimation is correct, that would have made him 17 or younger at that time. Possible?

So that would have been in 1991? If the age estimation is correct, that would have made him 17 or younger at that time. Possible?

Id say closer to 20-24. Its not uncommon for those estimated to be off by a couple of years either way.

Hi there, I am a brand newbie to this site- this is my first post so hoping I am doing it right :blushing: I have been trying to catch up on this case... I was at those Dead shows, and it seems to me that he wasn't a major Dead Head or he would be hitching a ride to the next shows not going the other direction. (As a side note, I have family somewhat near where the crash was...) Folks following the Dead around rarely bought corporate show shirts, like the one he was wearing. So I seriously doubt he was "On Dead Tour" ie following them from show to show. I am betting that he bought the tickets and wasn't miracled them- it could be a challenge to get a miracle ticket for cute young hippy girls, and even harder for guys, especially if they had on a shirt like his. He may have bartered for them, but since there were no drugs in his system, which probably rules out that he traded drugs for them, and he doesn't seem to be a tour kid with other things to sell and trade, he most likely paid cash. I am guessing he lost his stuff or it was stolen, there were some shady people around there. The star of David tattoo- there are so many reasons he could have that- there is even a gang associated with it- but I am guessing he did it himself.
I am very curious about the reports that the driver stopped to see his dad and girlfriend- do they remember anything that may not seem like anything to them, but that could give us a clue? Did they meet?
Oh, and yes there was plenty of mud at the shows.
The fact that he had no dental issues, money to get the tix and shirt, and was heading south makes me wonder if he is from a conservative southern family that disagreed with his choices? I know my mom was afraid I was joining a cult when I went on tour lol! Maybe that is why the lack of claiming him?
Another thought that doesn't go with the good teeth theory so much, is that when foster kids age out of the system, who follows them? Maybe he didn't have family....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla