What was that mysterious boom?

~n/t~

Reaction score
“It’s really just observations from regular everyday folks that they heard a sonic boom that was preceded by a blue flash of light high in the sky that lasted maybe one or two seconds.”

“I’ve heard of reports south of Ottawa, through Cornwall, the Montreal area, folks down in northern New York state as well, said Andrew Fazekas.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/tech...+possible+meteorite+strike/9218381/story.html

They still don't know what it was. :scared:

Sounds like a meteorite to me.

Could it have possible been satellite debris?

Here is the tracker site.

http://www.satview.org/decay.php

There is a thread here where some of us were trying to follow reentry of a satellite. I was still watching it orbit on the linked site above, when it in actuality it had already fallen. So the site itself is behind and I can't find where to get updated information.

I would think they would have already researched that though.

While officials have yet to confirm what caused the flash of light and explosion sound, one expert says it appears to be signs of a meteor event.

"(It) could indicate the stone -- which could be anywhere in size from a sofa to compact car -- may have fragmented with some bits making it to the ground," Andrew Fazekas, science writer and spokesman for the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, wrote on his blog.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/mete...-boom-widely-reported-1.1562545#ixzz2lruPrpP6

I think it's interesting that so many folks feel called upon to look up a number and report a "boom" in the sky. Unless something falls on my head or my house, I'm going on with my day...

lol, Nova:giggle:

I wonder if this is in any way possibly related to the "supposed upcoming" meteor event that they've talked about this week on some of the national news media?.. it definitely fits the description that I heard given for the supposed upcoming meteor event.. only problem is, according to the news I was watching, it called for it to not be happening until the week of Christmas... I wonder if possibly its related or their timing was quite "off"(by like a month..lol)..??

I think it's interesting that so many folks feel called upon to look up a number and report a "boom" in the sky. Unless something falls on my head or my house, I'm going on with my day...

Have you ever heard a sonic boom?

I live under the flight path of McChord AFB. F-15's taking off and landing shake the dishes in my kitchen cabinets. I am used to loud air flight noises, but when the Puget Sound region experienced a loud sonic boom in 2010 (small plane violated a flight ban due to Obama visiting the area) I had never heard anything like it. It was frightening! My initial reaction=wtf? Was that a nuclear bomb? Did Mt. Rainier just erupt? So I am not surprised at all that people took notice and were concerned.

anything up on youtube yet?

someone usually uploads home video or surveillance camera footage - even if just for the sound of it

Have you ever heard a sonic boom?….

Of course. I live about 200 miles from Vandenburg AFB and even closer to various flight testing facilities in the Mojave Desert. I used to live 10 minutes from LAX.

And I've been through numerous earthquakes, many of which make a racket that can be heard coming from miles away.

All of which is WHY I wouldn't think to pick up the phone just because I heard a "boom".

But, mostly, I was just making a joke.

Of course. I live about 200 miles from Vandenburg AFB and even closer to various flight testing facilities in the Mojave Desert. I used to live 10 minutes from LAX.

And I've been through numerous earthquakes, many of which make a racket that can be heard coming from miles away.

All of which is WHY I wouldn't think to pick up the phone just because I heard a "boom".

But, mostly, I was just making a joke.

:D

You're preaching to the choir. I live in the Puget Sound region less than 2 miles from the air strip at McChord. So I know all about earthquakes, exploding volcanoes, even foundry explosions and the rare gas station explosion. But some booms are still so unusual that they are scary and make you think wtf?!

MONTREAL – Don’t panic, says Chris Hadfield.

That was the Canadian astronaut’s down-to-earth advice after many people tweeted they saw a blue flash and heard a thundering boom in the Montreal and Ottawa areas Tuesday night.

Hadfield, the former commander of the International Space Station, tried to offer some words of assurance, saying it’s just part of normal life in the universe.

“Earth gets hit by 100 tons of meteorites every day,” he told The Canadian Press on Wednesday while in Montreal to promote his new book. “Most of them are grains of dust — it’s like we’re perpetually being sandblasted by the universe.

“Once in a while we get a big rock that comes into the Earth’s atmosphere and like in Montreal last night, it actually gets down low enough in the atmosphere to burn up as a blue flame and then make like a pressure wave that we hear as a sonic boom.
http://metronews.ca/news/canada/867...reball-could-have-landed-on-ground-somewhere/

anything up on youtube yet?

someone usually uploads home video or surveillance camera footage - even if just for the sound of it

I can't find anything yet.

Heard a very strange thing in the sky here - sounded like rocks being crushed! - not too long, several days, ago. I'm on the flight-path to the airport in Tulsa and also military planes zip by every once in awhile. But this - zounds.

Heard a very strange thing in the sky here - sounded like rocks being crushed! - not too long, several days, ago. I'm on the flight-path to the airport in Tulsa and also military planes zip by every once in awhile. But this - zounds.

A small meteorite maybe ? If Hadfield is right, there are 100 tons everyday.

I wonder where the Montreal one landed? Still no sign of it yet. It's alleged to be the size of a basketball ? I checked my back yard but didn't see anything except 10 cms of darn snow. :floorlaugh:

November 2013 offers a chance to catch a dependable meteor shower, albeit on an off year. The Leonid meteors are set to reach their annual peak this coming weekend on Sunday, November 17th. We say it’s an off-year, but not that it should discourage you from attempting to catch the Leonids this weekend in the early dawn.

Projections for 2013 suggest a twin-peaked maximum, with the first peak arriving on November 17th at 10:00 UT/5:00 AM EST favoring North America, and the second one reaching Earth on the same date six hours later at 16:00 UT/11:00, favoring the central Pacific.

http://www.universetoday.com/106327/here-comes-the-weekend-leonid-meteor-shower/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Lee
Back