What we know about Ransom Note:

Discussion in 'JonBenet Ramsey' started by Newbie97, Apr 4, 2020.

1. roundcubetwo

roundcubetwo New Member

The person who wrote the note strikes me as both naive and dramatic, maybe a movie buff. Many teenagers would have fit these criteria but the possibilities are plenty. Also, someone who is not entirely sober (but not inebriated beyond coherence) might be more prone to think up something so creative and composed yet bizarre; it's a total red herring. I could see recreational drugs having been involved.

Laughing likes this.

2. lonewanderer

lonewanderer Well-Known Member

S.ave B.urk T.his Christmas

Alarasong0919, dgfred and Laughing like this.
  3. splisbury

splisbury New Member

Concerning the SBTC at the end of the ransom letter. I did a quick search on the Internet and came up with the Small Business Technology Council which has been "...tremendously successful competitive innovation program specifically for high-tech small businesses. Since it was first authorized in 1982, it has helped tens of thousands of small businesses fund and develop their new technologies using a 2 phase approach." (Learn More About SBIR – SBTC)

I find this intriguing considering John Ramsey started a computer company in the 1980's.

GoBuckeyes likes this.
  4. meanieme

meanieme Active Member

I haven't been following every detail of this case, but can someone shed some light around the RN?
    1) The handwriting is distinct. Did LE request both PR and JR to provide handwriting samples? Did LE also check against their handwritings on past documents?
    2) It seems hard to invent and fake a handwriting style while writing the RN especially on the fly and under duress. The RN handwriting style seems consistent and no mistakes. So it does seem to be the person's actual handwriting. Unless PR/JR was very deliberate and slow in writing the RN, and when mistakes were made, restarted the note, but there would be discarded paper in the trash.
    3) If it was written by PR and JR, why would they include the $118K bonus amount. Even if they were doing so as a red herring, it would seem stupid to bring on more suspicion to yourselves especially if few knew of the amount. Had they left the amount off, it would reduce a lot of focus on them so why invite the heat upon yourself.
    4) I don't believe any true kidnapper requesting a ransom would write such a lengthy note. They would just leave a phone number to contact them at.
    5) Why even write a ransom note if you killed JBR already. So what happened first?

anniejanet likes this.
  5. lonewanderer

6. Tobiano8th

Tobiano8th Well-Known Member

Meanieme, your questions basically summarize consensus view on the RN.

seems implausible anyone wrote that note but PR........ JR dictating? although BPD seems to think JR's involvement was mostly not blowing the whistle on PR/BR and obfiscating during the investigations

all these questions about the note you have (and i have too)..... why would PR do that note? why would an intruder (pedophile or business revenge) write that note (in the R's house with their pen/paper)? IDI note seems virtually impossible. PRN seems implausible but is the only explanation (hercules poirot)

Laughing likes this.
  7. Tobiano8th

Tobiano8th Well-Known Member

as per lonewanderer response, who is nancy?....... or was that a serious response?

basically i think everyone whose handwriting they tested was ruled out except PR... of course, it could be someone they didn't test.

lonewanderer likes this.
  8. lonewanderer

Patsy :p Sorry I was thinking of a different case (I think).

Hers was "inconclusive".

There is a TON of little tiny details I did not know until I went down a lot of rabbit holes about the entire case.

Some professionals have analyzed it with really good points, pointing out that saying "A small foreign faction" is really underwhelming, you would want the people you are exploiting to greatly fear you, and would more likely say you are a large and mighty faction with ties to many forms of violence and/or friends in powerful places (senators, congress, etc).

I have also heard very good points made sarcastically by narrators such as Shane from BuzzFeed Unsolved. He says (kinda smart-aleck/ jokingly) something like "why would I give them all than information? I would want them to know as little about me as possible." But also goes on to say that of all the cases they had ever covered, there was never one time where a ransom note was present and the person was already deceased, much less deceased inside their own home.

Laughing likes this.
  9. proust20

proust20 Well-Known Member

One reason for PR to write the RN was so that she could place the 911 call. This may seem circular; but they are in fact two parts of the whole. Given the timeline, if it is assumed that PR did write the RN, then the latest that she'd be able to start it would be 5:15 AM of the 26th.

The 118k could have been mentioned as a means to divert suspicion on to business associates of JR. JR has stated that, in his view, the murder was motivated by professional jealousy or hatred of him. Of course, he offered nothing to back up this claim.

According to experts, the handwriting is more disguised on the first page, and then becomes more natural as the author relaxes their attempt to hide. It is possible that there was an undiscovered 3rd version of the RN, as brought out by forensics of the notepad.

Laughing likes this.
  10. BridgetSt

BridgetSt New Member

So what we (at least I) know is that:
    1. It was written in the house, using Ramseys' pad and sharpie
    2. It took at least 30minutes to write it (more probably an hour)
    3. Manner of addressing and tone change
    4. Phrases used can be associated with several popular movies
    5. It's the longest RN till this day
    6. It's the only RN that was found in the same location as the body of the victim, location being victim's home from which the victim was supposed to be kidnapped.

This was never supposed to be a true ransom note - it's too long, it was written at the scene of a crime using with what was found in the house, it starts with presenting themselves as foreign faction then gets all personal with JR, there is not one of their causes or more plausible requests listed (like release from prison of their mates etc.).

Whoever wrote it, did this after JonBenet was murdered, with clear intent to falsly present what happened as a planned kidnapping.
    If the kidnapping was the original plan then the RN would have been written beforehand, which means not in the house, using Ramseys' stuff.

The length - if it indeed was a ransom note, it would not be almost 3 pages long. It makes no sense whatsoever if its original purpose is to be a genuine note asking for ransom.

The only way someone who was a kidnapper would write such a long note is if they knew that they had enough time to write it. There is no way that an intruder, whether waiting for the Ramseys in the house while they were away or slipping into when they went to bed would take that much time to write it. Even if the intruder was alone, waiting for them to come back, they would not know when the Ramseys would be back and would risk to be discovered.

Movie references do not mean that the person who wrote RN did see all of those movies or was a fan of them. DH was by then a classic and shown on TV enough times to be a part of pop culture so one could be familiar with the expressions without having actually seen it.

At the beginning it starts with Mr Ramsey and has is pretty distant tone but then that changes and gets personal. Foreign faction is mentioned but after a couple of lines it is clear that there's nothing political to it, there's no mention of their cause, nothing.

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to share my view of RN considering what most makes sense, and contrary, what doesn't. Of course, that does not mean it's not possible at all that a real kidnapper wrote it but I think the chances for that are extremely low. This was never ment to be a real ransom note.

SkyBoomer, Venom, Laughing and 2 others like this.
  11. lonewanderer

There is a YouTuber who does a very interesting analysis between this ransom note, The Lindbergh baby ransom, and a ransom note done in the 1960s (which was also highly speculated as fake). These ransom notes where extremely long and drawn out. The Lindberg note was a very long series of notes and places for the person to go. The 1960s note was one note, but much, MUCH longer than the Ramsey note. I will post a link to it in a bit.

Laughing and Fabra like this.
  12. kaykay543

kaykay543 Well-Known Member

There is no intruder. None. I thought we weren't even supposed to talk about IDI on Websleuths? Cannot believe that anyone would still think there was an intruder.

13. UKGuy

UKGuy Well-Known Member

kaykay543,
    Sure, No Intruder but some folks do not know all the rules, so we can live with it until they work through the theories, etc.

BTW, a good riposte to IDI, is Kolar's Foreign Faction, i.e. not the book but a plurality of persons intent on kidnapping JonBenet.

So where are the multiple individual forensic samples they left behind, or did they all turn up wearing hazmat suits?

Laughing likes this.
  14. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

BBM, literary foreshadowing of 2020??? :eek:

15. UKGuy

UKGuy Well-Known Member

Laughing,
    Sure, but more like an gloss on Kolar's insightful remarks on the forensics, all credit to James, Yay!

Or for those who like classical tropes a sort of rip or midrash Talmudic style, someone will publish a book saying Covid was forecast by the Prophets because ... quote, quote, etc.

masyann and Laughing like this.
  16. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

Surely we could find mention of a plague in some books 20:20!?!?!

We'll be famous, right?She looks like a kid here:

upload_2020-9-21_18-57-49.jpeg
    image from reddit.com