What's Your Opinion On Why Jurors Ask To Hold And See Heart Sticker

OK, something perplexes me and I'm sure that one of you can clarify it for me.

Although there has been testimony to the fact that the FBI Latent Print expert said that she initially saw the residue of a heart on the duct tape (and that it was gone, after it was subjected to chemicals used by others during processing of the tape, when she went back to take a photo) was the photo of the heart shaped sticker found stuck on cardboard at the crime scene ever shown to the jury?

I know it's been out there for a couple of years (from the doc dumps), but just don't remember it being shown to the jury yesterday.

Thxs!

OK, something perplexes me and I'm sure that one of you can clarify it for me.

Although there has been testimony to the fact that the FBI Latent Print expert said that she initially saw the residue of a heart on the duct tape (and that it was gone, after it was subjected to chemicals used by others during processing of the tape, when she went back to take a photo) was the photo of the heart shaped sticker found stuck on cardboard at the crime scene ever shown to the jury?

I know it's been out there for a couple of years (from the doc dumps), but just don't remember it being shown to the jury yesterday.

Thxs!

That's what this thread is about. After much hoopla and whining by the defense team, the jurors got to see and hold the actual cardboard/sticker today.

That's what this thread is about. After much hoopla and whining by the defense team, the jurors got to see and hold the actual cardboard/sticker today.

Gotcha! Today I only caught the very end of "live testimony". Hubby and I had to go visit our accountant.

Thxs. TiaM.

I just think they were interested. Here you have a witness on the stand, and she's opening up a piece of evidence and talking about it, and the lawyers don't publish. You betcha I'd want to know! And if the inmate's life is in their hands, it was the smart and proper thing to request. Tells me they are on their toes :)

MOO

Mel

The State had still not entered it into evidence and despite a photograph of it being discussed, and a witness identifying it, it was not formally entered. My curiousity would have been peaked as well. I'm not sure why the State didn't enter it and avoid the whole thing. After all, they had shown heart-shaped stickers that had been found at the A residence. This one has me completely confused (as it did the jurors). I think the DA won on this point because it seemed as though the State was hiding it.

moo

PS - I hate to state that.

The State had still not entered it into evidence and despite a photograph of it being discussed, and a witness identifying it, it was not formally entered. My curiousity would have been peaked as well. I'm not sure why the State didn't enter it and avoid the whole thing. After all, they had shown heart-shaped stickers that had been found at the A residence. This one has me completely confused (as it did the jurors). I think the DA won on this point because it seemed as though the State was hiding it.

moo

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was Jose who opened that door. HE wanted it discussed because no "puffy" stickers were found in the house. It was all quite confusing for me with the sidebars, and bringing the witness back to open the envelope. That was all done by Jose. It was almost as if the State wanted him to do this (JA had quite the smirk on his face).

I agree - I don't know why the SA didn't enter it earlier - or right after the stickers at the house were shown. Today was a very odd day.

Then when Jose started bashing it about on the podium, I about fell out of my chair. I wonder if I can find a picture of that.

MOO

Mel

moo

I'm inclined to agree with your train of thought. It would be difficult to prove, without the residue or the actual sticker, which sticker was on the tape. I think the state was probably trying to have the jury infer that KC liked heart stickers and make the link on their own, as we did. That is very disjointed for this prosecution, who so far has relied on only testimony and evidence that has tangible and fairly solid merit. Entering the heart would be like examining the Sawgrass/Zenaida connection-even we are not sure how KC made the connection, and we've been here for three years. They left that out.
But, on the other hand, that heart residue says a whole lot about who dumped Caylee, if we are to believe that mothers leave sentimental signs in filicidal cases-and may even point to a level of cruelty, so I guess they took a chance that the jury would go with it.

I just think they were interested. Here you have a witness on the stand, and she's opening up a piece of evidence and talking about it, and the lawyers don't publish. You betcha I'd want to know! And if the inmate's life is in their hands, it was the smart and proper thing to request. Tells me they are on their toes :)

MOO

Mel

ITA. It isn't as if they were discussing the case. They were asking for proof of the evidence that was supposed to be provided to them.

If I was on the jury and you talked about a particular piece of evidence, I would want to see it. And as a member of a jury, I am the last person that you want to keep in the dark concerning evidence that you presented., it would make me question the integrity of both the evidence and the person presenting it. The Emporer's Clothes would come to mind.

I am glad that they seem so proactive this soon.

TC, Robin

I think they realized it was a big deal, after prosecution could not enter and the defense entered it for pros., but never showed it to THEM, they needed to see it. Good one of them asked for it. I do hope they are not discussing the case among themselves. that is a no no.

The State tried to enter, the defense objected, then Defense opened the door, without admitting and publishing after chasing the witness down!

I think they realized it was a big deal, after prosecution could not enter and the defense entered it for pros., but never showed it to THEM, they needed to see it. Good one of them asked for it. I do hope they are not discussing the case among themselves. that is a no no.

I hope not too. But I am staying optimisic that they are doing the right thing. I don't think saying to one another "did you see that?" would qualify as talking about the case in my humble opinion.

TC, Robin

At around 33:13 (interesting since the exhibit number is 313) you'll see Jose banging it about on the podium. This just after he didn't want the jurors messing with it ;)

Priceless!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LSQM7-QglI"]YouTube - ‪Casey Anthony: Murder Trial - Part 3 - 6/14/11‬‏[/ame]

What's everyone opinions on why the jurors asked to see up close the heart sticker.
I think that it is favorable to the SAs office as I think they wanted to compare the size to see if it's about the size of a dime as the FBI lady said the heart residue was the size of a dime.

I haven't read anyone's thoughts but yours, so if I repeat what others said, forgive me. When Judge Perry gave the jurors the choice of seeing the picture on the screen or passing the item among themselves or both, I automatically answered, "Both". Why? Because seeing something in person is very different than seeing something in a picture. Remember, our world is 3-D, but a photograph is flat, 2-D, having only width and length but no depth. Seeing things in person is always better.

Frankly, I don't know why they've collected all that evidence on the evidence table and not opened it for the jurors to see. What's that about? If I were on the jury, I'd want to see it all, up close and personal.

There was also the fact they weren't told what it was. I think I figured it out by the description Baez gave when he was objecting (something he rarely does, so of course, the jury was curious. :wink: ).

I haven't read anyone's thoughts but yours, so if I repeat what others said, forgive me. When Judge Perry gave the jurors the choice of seeing the picture on the screen or passing the item among themselves or both, I automatically answered, "Both". Why? Because seeing something in person is very different than seeing something in a picture. Remember, our world is 3-D, but a photograph is flat, 2-D, having only width and length but no depth. Seeing things in person is always better.

Frankly, I don't know why they've collected all that evidence on the evidence table and not opened it for the jurors to see. What's that about? If I were on the jury, I'd want to see it all, up close and personal.

Me too - if only to humanize Caylee. What is all that stuff on the table that's been entered into evidence, but never opened? Lots of "do you recognize this envelope, is this your signature", but we never see what's in the envelope.

Mind you, I don't expect the judge to allow them to open the decomp cans, but maybe the baby blanket, trash bags, a visit to the dump site.

I'm a touchy-feely person, so others may see it differently. If I actually saw the blanket, it would be much more of an impact for me than seeing a photo. KWIM? Even if it was kept in a clear package. Right now all I'm seeing is a bunch of yellow envelopes. Nope - doesn't work for me! ;)

MOO

Mel

I hope not too. But I am staying optimisic that they are doing the right thing. I don't think saying to one another "did you see that?" would qualify as talking about the case in my humble opinion.

TC, Robin

Others discussed it up the thread a bit but the question almost certainly came from a single jury member. It is not a matter of jurors/them/they/etc. Just one juror .... Perry says a question "from the jury", but that is the equivalent of "from an individual in the jury", IMHO. They couldn't and wouldn't do otherwise.

Me too - if only to humanize Caylee. What is all that stuff on the table that's been entered into evidence, but never opened? Lots of "do you recognize this envelope, is this your signature", but we never see what's in the envelope.

Mind you, I don't expect the judge to allow them to open the decomp cans, but maybe the baby blanket, trash bags, a visit to the dump site.

I'm a touchy-feely person, so others may see it differently. If I actually saw the blanket, it would be much more of an impact for me than seeing a photo. KWIM? Even if it was kept in a clear package. Right now all I'm seeing is a bunch of yellow envelopes. Nope - doesn't work for me! ;)

MOO

Mel

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. Seeing is believing.

BBM - The part I bolded is what I think they should have done, too. In fact, when Dr. G was on the stand the other day, she mentioned when a child is tossed into the woods or in a field is one of the things she looks for the signifies "murder". She reminded me of a tragic case in my area which happened back in 1988. A father killed her daughter and dumped her in the woods in the state next door. He pretended the girl must have been kidnapped. After four long, grueling months of searching, she was found accidentally by hunters. Two weeks later, her father was arrested. During his trial, they made plans to bring the jury to the dump site. He refused to go, and when his attorney insisted he should, thinking he'd never been to the area, never saw his daughter there, the man broke down and confessed. The next morning, the third day of the trial, while the bus was waiting with the jurors, his attorney told the sheriff, the prosecutors, and the judge his client had a confession to make.

I wish they would have done that with Casey, although with Casey, I doubt it would have had the same result.

Others discussed it up the thread a bit but the question almost certainly came from a single jury member. It is not a matter of jurors/them/they/etc. Just one juror .... Perry says a question "from the jury", but that is the equivalent of "from an individual in the jury", IMHO. They couldn't and wouldn't do otherwise.

They probably went back to the jury room and asked the foreman or whoever's in charge about it, and what they could do. For instance, one juror probably said, "We didn't get to see what they submitted and I have no idea what they're talking about. Would it be correct if we asked to see it?" The others probably piped up, "Yes, I'd like to see it, too." No real discussion needed. Just simple statements by some jurors to the person in charge. That's usually how it goes.

Everything you ever wanted to know about the Heart Stickers but were afraid to ask ;) :

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6679897&postcount=726"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6679897&postcount=726[/ame]

Maybe it was to see if it left a residue on the backing. I'd think that a thicker sticker might leave more of a residue on duct tape, more than one of the flat stickers.

Just my two cents.... I scrap book a ton and the flat ones leave more residue. mpossible to pop off the paper. The thicker ones can pop off and usually the adhesive left is minimal. I would imagine on duct tape the flatter ones would stick better than puffy ones.

So is the sticker the size of a dime?

It is. Vinnie Politan did a side by side with rulers, a dime, and the heart sticker. The dime and sticker are both about the same size as a dime.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back