When Do You Think The Retrial Will Begin?

When do you think the retrial will begin?

• January

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • February

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • March

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • April

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • 12th of Never

Votes: 63 46.3%

• Total voters
ITA Lambchop! As far as the threats against ALV go. that would be considered witness tampering would it not? That's a huge deal where I live and I'm sure the US legal system is the same. No witnesses=no case. And ALV is an expert witness which should have made the threats against her, assuming there were any at all, even more offensive to the court. The threats would have been investigated and the offender charged. The fact this is such high profile case and yet these threats were allowed to hang in the air at trial then dissolve into nothing after the fact, makes them highly suspect. The alleged threats to Patty, the buddy with a criminal record of own would have been equally offensive to the court.
I suspect she did lie about Locks of Love. If not to the court, then to Locks of Love. They don't accept bleached hair even if it was dyed back and I somehow doubt the jail takes on the process and expense of cutting and delivering inmate hair to charities. Her hair was long enough to donate at trial and yet she didn't. It was long enough after trial and during all the court appearances she's had to date leading up to her next trial and yet she hasn't even had it cut it seems, let alone donated to Locks of Love.
It would be interesting to see if her T shirts resulted in one red dime going to the shelter she testified they were supporting too. I somehow doubt they did.
Perhaps her family members might rise to the occasion to plead for her life this time around but other than that I agree she's got nothing.

The difference is this time around JM can dispute those claims because he will be prepared. There is nothing to mitigate. jmo

5/5/2014 ORD - Order - Party (001) 5/8/2014

NOTE: AUTHORIZING CNN TO FILE UNDER SEAL ITS 04/25/2014 SUPPLEMENTAL BRIEF IN SUPPORT OF REQUEST FOR VIDEO CAMERA COVERAGE OF SENTENCING PHASE RETRIAL AND RECONSIDERATION OF 11/14/2013 MINUTE ENTRY IN LIGHT OF AMENDMENTS TO ARIZ. R. SUP. CT. 122
---

Let's hope CNN is successful.

I wonder how many of us will be dead and gone? Apparently, this is their goal.....

I was just thinking this. I hope we get to retrial before I kick off....LOL

CNNVideo_zps138ce0dd.jpg

jeez...when will it end - Arias revised list of mitigating factors....what could those factors be in her deranged little mind??

Case Documents
Filing Date Description Docket Date Filing Party
5/14/2014 NOT - Notice - Party (001) 5/14/2014
NOTE: DEFENDANT'S REVISED LIST OF MITIGATING FACTORS AND REQUEST FOR DISCLOSURE

jeez...when will it end - Arias revised list of mitigating factors....what could those factors be in her deranged little mind??

Case Documents

revised??? to what??? :dunno: She has no mitigating factors, IMO. Pftttt.

Maybe she'll have ALL the "many friends" that the misguided X-boyfriend, whats-his-name, spoke about- to say how wonderful she is- in the retrial??? :sheesh:

Case Documents

Request for disclosure of what?? Of Juan's approval? :floorlaugh:

Request for disclosure of what?? Of Juan's approval? :floorlaugh:

I wouldn't be surprised if she claims mental illness. During the penalty phase Nurmi said JA is mentally defective so she should not get death penalty. After her conviction both Nurmi and Willmott have been hinting at how mentally unfit she is.
JA for sure does not want to die or go to prison. She would much rather be at a mental institution. I'm pretty sure that's the direction they are going.

I won't be surprised if she includes the 'Borderline Personality Disorder' excuse. It's her way of 'getting back' at the Prosecution by using their own diagnosis to escape death.

Jury selection to begin September 8. She is unfit--in every way but unfortunately for her, she does not meet the definition of legal insanity. The guilt phase is over, guilty of first degree premeditated murder with especial cruelty. If she is living in bizarro world, her attorneys can try to mitigate her sentence with such a designation. Should it work? H--- no.

I see a lot of mental illness and arrogance in her. I wish for the taxpayers and for the family that this could just end. Has there ever been a case where the penalty phase had to be retried?

Oh yes, Tiger09. The jurors who have been excused had to indicate during voir dire a willingness to choose a death penalty if called for by the evidence and arguments. Nonetheless, jurors often have trouble with severe penalties and also soft/light penalties. So penalty retrials occur.

Jury selection to begin September 8. She is unfit--in every way but unfortunately for her, she does not meet the definition of legal insanity. The guilt phase is over, guilty of first degree premeditated murder with especial cruelty. If she is living in bizarro world, her attorneys can try to mitigate her sentence with such a designation. Should it work? H--- no.

And I'm betting that's exactly what they're going to do this time.

Good grief on a cracker. I come back to the forum and this killer still hasn't been sentenced. I'm seriously shocked it's taking so darn long.

Just get on with this already! Stall and Delay is their favorite thing. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The revised list of mitigators may include some topics that are far afield of what we would reasonably expect. In her past allocution, she put up her art talents as reason for leniency & elaborated on that at some length. What is the relevance? If Chas. Manson could knit really fast, would anyone care? She says she can teach Spanish and reading. The Spanish speaking inmates will be teaching her some interesting expressions. In fact, she only took up the language after being imprisoned but she is easily recognized as a Know-It-All. She also told the jury what a do gooder she is. However, her handiwork is all too fresh in mind. What we now know is that she is not satisfied with delivering an allocution, she wants to act as counsel. If permitted, she will represent with her own spin her "true" state of mind at the time of her crimes. We can expect more distortions, some outrageous, don't you think? One characterization she rests on, relies on, is herself as victim so the twists of actuality will be tortuous. Wouldn't we love to see and hear those first hand! (I still argue that she forfeited her privilege to represent herself when she perpetrated the fraud upon the court of forged evidence.)

Whether CMJA represents herself at sentencing trial or delivers an allocution, she has broad latitude in what she can present as mitigators. The more influence & input she contributes at this stage of her case, the greater the opportunity for error. The rules of evidence do not apply to what she can introduce on her behalf for consideration by judge and jury. She does have the burden of proving what she asserts but only by a preponderance of the evidence that it is true and relevant. All of it will be weighed against the aggravators. She can claim she was unable to appreciate the wrongfulness of her conduct but if that were true, her incapacity would have met the definition of legal insanity. She can claim she was under unusual or substantial duress. If she asserts this, it will come like a bolt out of the cold blue air and contradicts her version of that afternoon. Defendants can assert they could not reasonably foresee that their act(s) would cause grave risk of death but the number of stab wounds and slit throat defeat any such claim. Despite the risk that none of this will fly, because they are provided for in statute, she will be tempted to resort to such mitigating factors. They are the factors that carry weight in jury determinations. Do you think she will confine her remarks to fine character and benevolent urges? I doubt it. I think she will over reach and that Juan Martinez will seize on it. Because she is an inveterate liar, an elaborate fabricator, expect new material.

In her attempt to rid herself of Nurmi by written appeal to the judge, Arias repeatedly faults him for lack of empathy with her. Does she pause for even one minute to realize that no one would want to feel what a premeditated murderer feels? Why would anyone want to share her hatreds and her malice? She also seeks empathy from Judge Stephens for her melt downs, which are distinctly not tantrums. Really? She is unaware that both of her attorneys have on many occasions tried to exit. Instead, she smears Nurmi as greedy to remain on the case because it is his "gravy train". If given her head and any level of freedom of expression, I think we can expect to see her distortions exposed. That will be a day in court.

Not to be forgotten. Out of her own mouth, "I don't have any mitigators. I guess my parents didn't beat me hard enough." She seems to have a strange concept of what mitigates a crime. Of course, with that remark she is reminding the jury that she was beaten as a child & to be pitied.. In truth, she was smacked with a wooden spoon. Does she think that gives her leave to "beat" others? That fits in with her answer in a television interview that she need only be feared if someone abuses or attacks her. In the year & a half since her guilty verdict, she will have studied imaginative ways to solicit understanding and forgiveness used by other defendants. She now seems confident in her ability to persuade or she would not have applied to represent herself.

I wonder how many of us will be dead and gone? Apparently, this is their goal.....

Thank you for the giggle :)

Most of us fell in love with Juan, Travis and his lovely family during the trial.

The most enjoyable and entertaining portions of the trial were when ALV and the good doctor "I beg your pardon" Samuels testified. I got a charge out of Ryan Owens "O, you're a hater" interview especially when the camera scanned her head to toe profile.

I also enjoyed seeing Nurmi squirm. Each day his chair was a little further away from the killer. It must have made him ill bc he lost weight defending that convicted killer.

Out of all the hellish things that killer did, other than kill Travis, of course, it was sending Travis' grandmother flowers that hurt me the most. I believe the killer stole the roommate's rent money. How else did she have money for flowers? And money to purchase the gun after the murder? And money to rent the car just before her arrest?

Best regards to each of you! #TeamTravis

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taketherisk