When Do You Think The Retrial Will Begin?

When do you think the retrial will begin?

• January

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • February

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • March

Votes: 23 16.9%
  • April

Votes: 18 13.2%
  • 12th of Never

Votes: 63 46.3%

• Total voters
Hi everyone - just poking my head in. Thanks for all the continued updates!

Any word on whether the media has attempted to get cameras back in for retrial? Do we think they will? TIA!

Hi everyone - just poking my head in. Thanks for all the continued updates!

Any word on whether the media has attempted to get cameras back in for retrial? Do we think they will? TIA!

I have a sneaking suspicion big network, talking heads will get their way in there somehow!

Nice to see you again! :seeya:

Schedule_zps13b5383c.jpg

TD, please tell me these stand! I just heard on HLN that it's been postponed again. :(

It's been nine months since Jodi Arias was found guilty of the murder of her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, and yet, the second phase of her sentencing trial has been postponed once again.
Arias, 33, was convicted of first-degree murder on May 8, 2013 in Alexander's ghastly death in his suburban Phoenix, Ariz. home back in 2008. However, the same jury that found her guilty failed to reach a unanimous decision on her sentencing. As a result, a retrial to determine whether she should be sentenced to death, life in prison or life with a chance of release after serving 25 years was slated for March 17. However, that date has been delayed due to a scheduling conflict with prosecutor Juan Martinez.
Like Us on Facebook
According to The Arizona Republic, Martinez is supposed to begin another potential death penalty trial on May 12. At a hearing Tuesday at the Maricopa County Superior Court, Presiding Criminal Judge Joseph Welty ruled that Martinez's other case, which involves a man accused of killing an Arizona police officer in 2007, will take priority since its the oldest capital murder case in the county awaiting trial.
Judge Sherry Stephens will schedule Arias' new trial date, but there is no word on when that will happen.

My guess is that the Arias penalty phase won't start until July or August. She might just make another year in the county jail before going to prison. This latest setback is no one's fault, and ultimately it won't matter because she's going to Perryville regardless--possibly just in time for the holidays.

TD, please tell me these stand! I just heard on HLN that it's been postponed again. :(

It's been nine months since Jodi Arias was found guilty of the murder of her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander, and yet, the second phase of her sentencing trial has been postponed once again.
Arias, 33, was convicted of first-degree murder on May 8, 2013 in Alexander's ghastly death in his suburban Phoenix, Ariz. home back in 2008. However, the same jury that found her guilty failed to reach a unanimous decision on her sentencing. As a result, a retrial to determine whether she should be sentenced to death, life in prison or life with a chance of release after serving 25 years was slated for March 17. However, that date has been delayed due to a scheduling conflict with prosecutor Juan Martinez.
Like Us on Facebook
According to The Arizona Republic, Martinez is supposed to begin another potential death penalty trial on May 12. At a hearing Tuesday at the Maricopa County Superior Court, Presiding Criminal Judge Joseph Welty ruled that Martinez's other case, which involves a man accused of killing an Arizona police officer in 2007, will take priority since its the oldest capital murder case in the county awaiting trial.
Judge Sherry Stephens will schedule Arias' new trial date, but there is no word on when that will happen.

It will almost certainly not stand.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10225937&postcount=77

According to this Minute Entry:

http://www.courtminutes.maricopa.gov/docs/Criminal/022014/m6174717.pdf

A status conference was held yesterday and a new retrial date should have been discussed/set, the docket shows a continuance motion filed on 2/18, the trial date being vacated on 2/19 and a minute entry for the status conference 2/20, the last minute entry that shows though is the one above, dated 2/11.

According to this Minute Entry:

A status conference was held yesterday and a new retrial date should have been discussed/set, the docket shows a continuance motion filed on 2/18, the trial date being vacated on 2/19 and a minute entry for the status conference 2/20, the last minute entry that shows though is the one above, dated 2/11.

As we anticipated, the trial dates of March 17 and 18 have been vacated.

If the State keeps JM on the case, it is doubtful that JA will face her sentencing phase re-trial prior to July/August.

Anyone else notice that the State had other attorneys present (in addition to JM by phone) for the hearing on Feb. 11 at which JA's sentencing phase re-trial dates were vacated?

To wit:

"State's Attorney: Bob Shutts, and Anthony Novitsky, with Juan Martinez appearing telephonically

Defendant's Attorney: Kurk Nurmi and Jennifer Willmott

Defendant: Present

Court Reporter, Laura Ashbrook, is present.

A record of the proceeding is also made by audio and/or videotape.

This is the time set for Status Conference.

For the reasons articulated more fully on the record,

IT IS ORDERED vacating trial dates of March 17, 2014 and March 18, 2014."

what's interesting also is that hearing was held with Judge Joseph Welty

JM is also prosecuting accused cop-killer Bryan Hulsey. That case is on Judge Kreamer's docket.

The status conference involving this other case (AZ vs. Hulsey) was on the same date (2/11) as the vacation of CMJA's 3/17-18 court dates.

I assume that Judge Norman J. Davis, the Presiding Judge over Maricopa County Superior Court's Criminal Court docket assignments, delegated responsibility to Judge Joseph Welty to determine trial scheduling priorities.

This was necessary given the scheduling conflict due to the State's assignment of JM to prosecute both the Hulsey and CMJA cases.

The Hulsey case currently has two trial dates scheduled in March and May, indicating that the case will move along at the 'expense' of CMJA's case.

Good morning, friends! I am surprised that no media outlet is trying to reverse Judge Stevens' rule regarding the blackout. One good thing, though, is we won't have to watch HLN parse.out.every.bit.of.the.trial, lol.

I guess the media will be reporting at the end of every court day? I hope wildabouttrial reports because that would be straightforward and to the point.

Come on spring, already!

CMJA's trial dates were vacated.

AZ vs. Bryan Hulsey is scheduled for May 12, with JM, Bob Shutts, and Anthony Novitsky as the State's attorneys of record.

CMJA will have (read: get) to wait.

UGh. I need this done while the kids are in school so I can watch. They have til the end of June. Because I said so....

CMJA's trial dates were vacated.

AZ vs. Bryan Hulsey is scheduled for May 12, with JM, Bob Shutts, and Anthony Novitsky as the State's attorneys of record.

CMJA will have (read: get) to wait.

More time for <modsnip> to file yet more ridiculous time buying motions. What a disgrace that our justice system has so tipped over towards perpetrators or alleged perpetrators vs crime victims. And in this case , <modsnip> has been is a CONVICTED perpetrator. Wonder what our Founding Fathers would think about all of this.
This is MOO.

More time for <modsnip> to file yet more ridiculous time buying motions. What a disgrace that our justice system has so tipped over towards perpetrators or alleged perpetrators vs crime victims. And in this case , <modsnip> has been is a CONVICTED perpetrator. Wonder what our Founding Fathers would think about all of this.
This is MOO.

It's appropriate that you commented in this thread, as I have been thinking -- seriously -- that CMJA's case (sentencing phase) may not go back to trial before August, gurl.

It's appropriate that you commented in this thread, as I have been thinking -- seriously -- that CMJA's case (sentencing phase) may not go back to trial before August, gurl.

I too believe it'll be sometime in August.

JM is currently prosecuting the accused murderer of police officer Anthony Holly.

According to Maricopa County Superior Court, Bryan Wayne Hulsey's case is still working within the following time window:

Firm Trial Date on May 12, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

CURRENT LAST DAY: June 20, 2014

I would not expect CMJA's case (re-trial of penalty phase for the especially cruel murder of Travis Alexander) until well beyond June 20, 2014 at the earliest.

JM is currently prosecuting the accused murderer of police officer Anthony Holly.

According to Maricopa County Superior Court, Bryan Wayne Hulsey's case is still working within the following time window:

Firm Trial Date on May 12, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

CURRENT LAST DAY: June 20, 2014

I would not expect CMJA's case (re-trial of penalty phase for the especially cruel murder of Travis Alexander) until well beyond June 20, 2014 at the earliest.

I'm curious as to when JSS will re-set a retrial date, wish I had access to JM's calendar to see what the rest of his schedule looks like this year. ;)

9:30 AZ time oral argument scheduled, wonder what motions are before the court to be heard? It would be lovely if a retrial date would be set today.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back