Whitney Houston passed away on 2/11/12 - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that Bobbi K. does not inherit a bunch of money right now. IMO, if she does, she will end up hanging out with freeloaders and doing drugs and alcohol like her mother did/

I keep hearing that she wants a music career. But the problem is, she is not a very good singer. She sings off key and out of tune. This will be a nightmare scenario for her, imo.

I hope she can find something else to follow as her passion. :rose:

I would hope that Whitney or her lawyers would have long ago insisted on an Estate plan to provide for her only issue in a manner that would be protective and safe for Bobbi Kristina.

Even though BB was quoted upthread via a link to say that his daughter sang better than her mother, I think we can all agree that such a thing would be unlikely at best. Hard act to follow, to put it simply.

I too hope she finds something else to follow which perhaps she has not yet discovered, or something else that would bring her a passion now such as guarding her Mother's legacy. That's what one of my God-daughters did, even though her mother was by no means so celebrated in the public eye as Whitney was.

Yes, I know that Whitney's family loved her, that I believe, and perhaps they tried to help her get sober, too...but seems to me that more could have been done? I speak from experience, as my spouse entered rehab when we were young newlyweds, and remains sober to this day, with lots of hard work. All of his family stuck by him, and we all knew to keep alcohol and any type of drugs well away from him! Sadly, his brother died from drinking just last year, but did not have a supportive wife.
Everyone has to be on the same page, in helping a loved one get sober. There is just no other way. Handing out tranks just leads right back into the addiction spiral.

It really comes down to the alcoholic and no one else. It is not anyone else's place to keep someone sober. And you can't "keep alcohol and any type of drugs" away from an addict. You can't be with them 24/7. They have to be able to say "no" all on their own. The truth is, once there is any substance on board, the person no longer has insight into what the drug or alcohol is doing to them. So for a person to get help for an addiction takes a moment of insight where they see and understand what the substance is doing to them. For some, that moment of clarity never comes. For some it does and they get help, only to relapse.

It really comes down to the alcoholic and no one else. It is not anyone else's place to keep someone sober. And you can't "keep alcohol and any type of drugs" away from an addict. You can't be with them 24/7. They have to be able to say "no" all on their own. The truth is, once there is any substance on board, the person no longer has insight into what the drug or alcohol is doing to them. So for a person to get help for an addiction takes a moment of insight where they see and understand what the substance is doing to them. For some, that moment of clarity never comes. For some it does and they get help, only to relapse.

It has to be one of the most unrelenting diseases ever. I am so glad that drug addiction has not touched my life or any of my loved ones.

I have read countless articles and to stay clean and sober only happens for a teeny tiny minority. 12-15%. That shows me this disease is a monster from hell to deal with.

I know but he was her BODYGUARD. He had to know when she was getting messed up on pills and crack. She was reportedly ordering rum and cokes from the bar at 9:30 in the morning a day before she died. He had to notice that. :mad:

She was his boss. There was no way to control Whitney. She did as she wanted to do.

IMO

ITA!

I enjoyed the service today immensely. I cried and I laughed. It was the perfect send off and I believe Whitney is in the arms of God, Yes, she was fragile and controlled by her demons but she was still loving, kind and considerate to others.

But I do not like the way Bobby was treated. I watched the entire thing and there was plenty of room in the pew seats for nine people. I think Whitney's family resents that Bobby got clean and sober. I also think it is a cop out if they try to blame Bobby instead of Whitney. From what her closest friends have said Whitney was doing drugs long before she met Bobby and Bobby certainly wasnt the reason for Whitney dying.

I think Whitney would have been highly upset by the way Bobby was treated. She had just gone out to dinner with Bobby, BK, Bobby's girlfriend and his other children a week and a half before she passed away.

Whitney had a strong faith...perhaps stronger than her family and Whitney knew that forgiveness is what God expected her to do and imo she forgave him a long time ago. I think she knew it was not all his fault and she knew she had a lot of faults herself.

May she rest in peace now.

imo

Thank you for the beautiful, poignant, thoughtful post.

What kind of doctor gives tranquillizers to an addict? How is that helpful? And the support of a family is crucial, and that includes not putting temptation front and center, i.e. not using in front of the addict ( in this case, I refer to drinking) that is just basic. True that you cannot be with them 24/7, but when you are with that person, you should be helpful and supportive.
I gave up drinking for the years after my husband got sober, until our divorce. Just to support him in his struggle.
But back to the doctors. Shame on all of them! Just a little xanax and valium, and time to drink again.....mood altering is mood altering

What kind of doctor gives tranquillizers to an addict? How is that helpful? And the support of a family is crucial, and that includes not putting temptation front and center, i.e. not using in front of the addict ( in this case, I refer to drinking) that is just basic. True that you cannot be with them 24/7, but when you are with that person, you should be helpful and supportive.
I gave up drinking for the years after my husband got sober, until our divorce. Just to support him in his struggle.
But back to the doctors. Shame on all of them! Just a little xanax and valium, and time to drink again.....mood altering is mood altering

There are legitimate reasons that someone who is an addict would need benzodiazepines, so it's not necessarily wrong to give them to her. She took them for anxiety that she had before shows. She also had Ambien, which is a sleeping pill, so I'm guessing she had trouble sleeping. But you are right, it should have been monitored more closely with her history of addiction. I have read that they found that Whitney was NOT doctor shopping - i.e., going from doctor to doctor to get pills. She was seen three times in the week before her death and once was for a sore throat and she got amoxicillin for that, and she got her teeth cleaned and then went back and got her teeth whitened, if what I read is correct. So I don't think she got any benzodiazepines in the week before her death. I think she just unfortunately mixed prescription drugs and alcohol. I hope that is all it is; I really hope they don't find cocaine in her system, although if she was haing out with Ray J I'm afraid they might.

You can't treat an addict like a child. Whitney went to the pre-Grammy party every year, and she was determined to go this year. Looks like family members were there with her to minimize the damage as much as possible, but you can't really grab a drink from a grown adult like they are a child. She told her mother just before she died that she was going to go back to rehab the Tuesday (I think) after Grammy weekened, but that she wanted to enjoy herself one last weekend. Her mother was probably glad to hear that and there was nothing she could do to stop her. Whitney did what she wanted to do, and of course put herself in the company of people who do drugs. It was said that she was hanging out with Ray J the four days she was there. Not good. But again, Whitney was an adult.

This may be way off base, but does anyone know if Whitney's relationship with Aretha Franklin was strained? I've just been getting a bad vibe ever since they first interviewed her last Saturday. She kept saying how she saw the news of Whitney's death on TV and she couldn't believe it, and how she felt so bad for Cissy and Dionne and Bobbi Kris. She never said much about how she felt. She just didn't seem as distraught as I thought a God Mother might. And then not going to the funeral...I don't know...like I said, I may be way off base. LOL

I hope so too! :)

Legal age of inheritance would depend on the law in the state where the Will was drawn, I would think.

If Whitney had died intestate, the court would appoint an administrator if her child had not attained such age.

If Whitney left a valid Will, it would have likely set the terms (preferably a Trust, with distributions set-out under conditions including amounts at certain ages), and in accordance with the laws of that state.

Just guessing...would like to read input from a lawyer specializing in Wills and Trusts.

~jmo~

not an attorney but have enough experience to know different States
have different requirements for settling an estate, appointing executors,
etc., where a person owns property in different States as did WH. If
she still owns property in CA, as she does in NJ, very likely California
will require a separate executor to settle matters in CA. Another executor
in NJ. This could get complicated and cost money.

I'm not trying to start a debate here, but I know from reading that not all doctors and addiction experts agree with AA's "total abstinence" philosophy. It's common to prescribe Wellbutron or even Xanax for people who are quitting smoking, for example.

So an addict may have a doctor who believes the best remedy is to switch a user from a more destructive drug (crack, cocaine, oxycontin, alcohol) to something that is less destructive (an anti-depressant or Ativan in reasonable doses, etc.). Some believe total abstinence just isn't a reasonable long-term goal for everyone.

I realize the drugs I've mentioned are not all the same. My point is just that some doctors think a trade-off and then maybe a gradual reduction is more likely to succeed than quitting cold turkey.

(Last I heard, even AA allows nicotine and caffeine.)

This may be way off base, but does anyone know if Whitney's relationship with Aretha Franklin was strained? I've just been getting a bad vibe ever since they first interviewed her last Saturday. She kept saying how she saw the news of Whitney's death on TV and she couldn't believe it, and how she felt so bad for Cissy and Dionne and Bobbi Kris. She never said much about how she felt. She just didn't seem as distraught as I thought a God Mother might. And then not going to the funeral...I don't know...like I said, I may be way off base. LOL

Franklin was on 20/20 (or Dateline, I get them confused) last night (though I don't know when the interview was actually taped). I got the distinct impression that there had been some sort of estrangement. Franklin referred to Houston repeatedly as "Cissy's baby, Nippy" and spoke fondly of Houston as a child and young woman. Then, when asked about Houston's difficult years of addiction and drug/alcohol abuse, Franklin said "I watched her from afar."

I'm not assuming the two women had a falling out, but it did sound as if they had been less close over the past couple of decades.

Franklin did say she had been asked by Houston's mother to sing at the funeral, however, so it didn't appear there was a permanent breach and certainly not one with the Houston family. Apparently health prevented her from honoring the request.

Franklin was on 20/20 (or Dateline, I get them confused) last night (though I don't know when the interview was actually taped). I got the distinct impression that there had been some sort of estrangement. Franklin referred to Houston repeatedly as "Cissy's baby, Nippy" and spoke fondly of Houston as a child and young woman. Then, when asked about Houston's difficult years of addiction and drug/alcohol abuse, Franklin said "I watched her from afar."

I'm not assuming the two women had a falling out, but it did sound as if they had been less close over the past couple of decades.

Franklin did say she had been asked by Houston's mother to sing at the funeral, however, so it didn't appear there was a permanent breach and certainly not one with the Houston family. Apparently health prevented her from honoring the request.

When she said that she watched from afar, it sounds like she didn't like the way she was headed so she stepped back to allow Whitney to hopefully hit rock bottom, but did not expect this.

just an fyi, Aretha Franklin is not Whitney's God Mother. Its been reported for years, but Aretha Franklin has confirmed that she was not her GM, and said they met for the first time when WH was around 8 years old.

http://www.wetpaint.com/network/art...ney-houstons-godmother--does-it-really-matter

The service was wonderful and so moving . . . it touched me deeply.
There was Whitney and then there was the disease. I really enjoyed hearing about Whitney from her friends and family today.

My hope is that the authorities will be able to pinpoint what killed her so we can know the truth, not sweep what is killing so many people under the rug, in order to help promote awareness of drug and alcohol abuse. It never ceases to amaze me how many people there are who still ask, 'can't you have just one drink?' Do these people live under a rock to not already know the answer to that question? With Whitney in mind, maybe they'll be able to figure out the answer themselves and help someone out by not asking it ever again.

imo, Aretha (had she appeared) would not have been the only one selected who was not close to Whitney in years/decades, but rather would have honored her at Cissy's behest. At least.

I believe some posters have queried about Godmothers...just which persons were Whitney's, or her daughter's, and noting that there were more than one so designated.

For some, the 'title' comes later in a child's life, with or without any religious context, and there can be more than just one.

As well, one's husband may become Godfather by default, if you will, in some instances.

~jmo, based on personal experience~

There are legitimate reasons that someone who is an addict would need benzodiazepines, so it's not necessarily wrong to give them to her. She took them for anxiety that she had before shows. She also had Ambien, which is a sleeping pill, so I'm guessing she had trouble sleeping. But you are right, it should have been monitored more closely with her history of addiction. I have read that they found that Whitney was NOT doctor shopping - i.e., going from doctor to doctor to get pills. She was seen three times in the week before her death and once was for a sore throat and she got amoxicillin for that, and she got her teeth cleaned and then went back and got her teeth whitened, if what I read is correct. So I don't think she got any benzodiazepines in the week before her death. I think she just unfortunately mixed prescription drugs and alcohol. I hope that is all it is; I really hope they don't find cocaine in her system, although if she was haing out with Ray J I'm afraid they might.

You can't treat an addict like a child. Whitney went to the pre-Grammy party every year, and she was determined to go this year. Looks like family members were there with her to minimize the damage as much as possible, but you can't really grab a drink from a grown adult like they are a child. She told her mother just before she died that she was going to go back to rehab the Tuesday (I think) after Grammy weekened, but that she wanted to enjoy herself one last weekend. Her mother was probably glad to hear that and there was nothing she could do to stop her. Whitney did what she wanted to do, and of course put herself in the company of people who do drugs. It was said that she was hanging out with Ray J the four days she was there. Not good. But again, Whitney was an adult.

I am a recovering drug addict, Benzo's were my drug of choice. That said, IMO any doctor who is giving RX's for 3 different Benzo's AND Ambien to anyone but most of all to a drug addict needs to be seriously investigated. Legal drug pusher is all he is. Addiction doesn't just go away and when you are given some other addictive substance, cross addiction often takes place. A drug is a drug.. all she did was switch drugs.. and with the help of a doctor! I would almost feel better about the numerous prescriptions had she been doctor shopping because then it would be only her fault but.. this? To find out she hadn't been doctor shopping? This is also the fault of whoever signed their name to those prescriptions! There is never a reason to give someone that many Benzo's... everything is wrong with it!

I'm not trying to start a debate here, but I know from reading that not all doctors and addiction experts agree with AA's "total abstinence" philosophy. It's common to prescribe Wellbutron or even Xanax for people who are quitting smoking, for example.

So an addict may have a doctor who believes the best remedy is to switch a user from a more destructive drug (crack, cocaine, oxycontin, alcohol) to something that is less destructive (an anti-depressant or Ativan in reasonable doses, etc.). Some believe total abstinence just isn't a reasonable long-term goal for everyone.

I realize the drugs I've mentioned are not all the same. My point is just that some doctors think a trade-off and then maybe a gradual reduction is more likely to succeed than quitting cold turkey.

(Last I heard, even AA allows nicotine and caffeine.)

I'm here to tell ya, Nova, Benzo's in the hands of an addict are just as destructive as crack, meth and alcohol. Benzo's are highly addictive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Annie151