Who do you think the Zodiac Killer actually is?

AC4RD

Reaction score
I've read several books on Zodiac. Books offer many possible suspects--like Graysmith's first edition, in which he pointed a finger at someone who was later cleared by DNA. But a lot of people (myself included) thought we knew after the Graysmith book came out. (Edited to clarify: Graysmith made it seem like an open-and-shut case; the book made it sound like the police just needed to find the evidence because this guy in the Graysmith book MUST have been guilty, the way it was written.) It was a good lesson for me--don't be in a rush to let myself be convinced by a book!

My entirely unqualified guess is: Somebody we've never heard of. Like Jack the Ripper, I think Zodiac was some deeply twisted person living in the area, and my guess is that we don't know who, nobody's written a book about this guy yet. And like Saucy Jack, I think it's very unlikely that we will ever know for sure.

As I said, my opinions are idiosyncratic, and are entirely untainted by any trace of knowledge or training in this area. :) Good luck with the project! --ken

Richard

Reaction score
I do not have an opinion on the identity of the killer known as Zodiac, but I feel that there were more than one killer responsible for the many murders that have been suggested as being "Zodiac victims" over the years.

Only the first four incidents, in which 5 persons were killed and two badly wounded can be solidly connected to the original unknown subject who claimed to be Zodiac. That person may have killed others later, but he also claimed credit for several murders that were proven to have been committed by others.

While the letter writer/crypto nut who first claimed to be Zodiac probably did commit the first series of killings, it is possible that another person or persons may have taken up the pen, sending later letters.