Who do you think the Zodiac Killer actually is?

Richard

Reaction score
...Third point: Thank you to Richard for the information about the handguns. Wasn't the 9mm cartridge somewhat unusual in the USA in those days?

I wouldn't say that the 9mm Luger round was rare or unusual in the US in the late 1960's. The Browning Hi-Power pistol had been around since about 1935, and was the standard Army issue sidearm in Canada through World War II. The 9mm Luger round was used in the famous German Luger pistol of World Wars One and Two, and also the round used in the P-38 and many other European pistols. Those surplus pistols were widely available in the US throughout the 1960's.

You are correct, however, to think that it was not the most popular pistol round in the US in the late 1960's and early 1970's. In fact, Revolvers chambered for .38 special, .357 magnum, and .44 magnum were favored by most handgun enthusiasts back then. Automatic Pistols made for sale in the US were more often chambered for .45 ACP, .380, .25ACP, .22 Long Rifle, or .32ACP in that time frame. Pistols in 9mm were also available, but just not as popular (in the US) as others.

Today, of course, the exact opposite is true. In 1986, the US Army transitioned to the 9mm as standard in their Berretta pistols, as did the FBI around then with their Glocks, and now most Law Enforcement agencies have automatic pistols in 9mm. A check of any gun store or catalog will show that today Automatic pistols in 9mm are the most common and most popular pistol in America. In that sense, Zodiac was a man ahead of his time.

CaMan60

Reaction score
You are correct, however, to think that it was not the most popular pistol round in the US in the late 1960's and early 1970's.

We don,t know who he was. But he knew about guns. The clues about the gun's he used add to the evidence and give some insight into how he operated.
Most likely he disposed of them after a crime. But looking at this from another angle, he could have kept them.
He knew enough to write (in the original 3 letter's)
Brand of Ammo used Western. Except in one letter he simply wrote Ammo made by Western. A regular guy might have written, Bullets made by Western.

Last edited:

StarryStarryNight

Reaction score
I read the book pointing the finger at Leigh Allen a long time ago and it was very compelling. The fact that the DNA on the back of the stamp didn’t match him was neither here nor there to me. Like AC4RD pointed out there are a myriad of reasons LA’s DNA is not on the stamp. If it had matched that would have been huge. Not matching just brings it back to where we were…no definitive evidence, but a ton of circumstantial evidence that still points to Leigh Allen.
I’ve also seen the documentary about Ross Sullivan. He is a good suspect also. The information on the Bates murder was all new to me. Sullivan is my #2 suspect.

CaMan60

Reaction score
I read the book pointing the finger at Leigh Allen a long time ago and it was very compelling.
One thing we have learned is to let the evidence point to a suspect. And not try to make a suspect fit the crime.
On another note the D.n.a. testing has only gone into a gray area that has not included or excluded any suspects.
The gun's used are important to this case, and would be to any case like this one. If Leigh Allen had a gun that matched the case if would have been huge. But at the time the evidence was just not there.

HopeValleyDevil

Reaction score
Ted Kaczynski

His M.O. morphed from one to another.

The Philips map is just the beginning of his musings about anti development. The map represents development.

His narrative is just to justify his cowardice doings in an attempt to get public on side. The manifest is his narcissistic attention seeking for his failings.

Its about him, it was always about his narcissism, his ego. Another attention seeking psychopath that cannot see his self involved stupidity. Fancy killing for attention.

Last edited: