Who is GBC? An armchair psych discussion

I read somewhere that parents who don't make their children take responsibility for their own actions, and excuse their bad behavior, can create adults who constantly point the blame at others. Would this be the problem with GBC, rather than narcissism?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...rsonality-disorder/basics/causes/con-20025568

Diseases and Conditions
Narcissistic personality disorder
SECTIONS
Causes
By Mayo Clinic Staff
It's not known what causes narcissistic personality disorder. As with other mental disorders, the cause is likely complex. The cause may be linked to a dysfunctional childhood, such as excessive pampering, extremely high expectations, abuse or neglect. It's also possible that genetics or psychobiology — the connection between the brain and behavior and thinking — plays a role in the development of narcissistic personality disorder.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...rsonality-disorder/basics/causes/con-20025568

Diseases and Conditions
Narcissistic personality disorder
SECTIONS
Causes
By Mayo Clinic Staff
It's not known what causes narcissistic personality disorder. As with other mental disorders, the cause is likely complex. The cause may be linked to a dysfunctional childhood, such as excessive pampering, extremely high expectations, abuse or neglect. It's also possible that genetics or psychobiology — the connection between the brain and behavior and thinking — plays a role in the development of narcissistic personality disorder.

Very interesting! Thank you for that information.

I guess if we knew exactly how to prevent the problem, we'd be millionaires! I've known a few families where they are very nurturing parents with kids who are well adjusted, yet one in the fold turns out to be self-absorbed. I sure wish there was a way to help these people. I can't imagine not ever really living...

I don't doubt for a second that Allison was psychologically abused, which would have created trauma bonds - which then lead to SS.

http://psychopathyawareness.wordpre...r-abuser-stockholm-syndrome-and-trauma-bonds/

We know he told her she was a useless mother and he deprived her of love, not sleeping in her bed, not wanting her seeing her friends and stayed with TMcH 4 nights a week. That is abuse!
Being slowly pecked to death but ducks. It doesn't hurt and you slowly get used to it.

I think Allison and her family were innocents which make them the perfect target for the likes GBC. I came from a hard working family business. I was young and naive. I knew my first boyfriend only a couple of weeks when in his parents kitchen he told his mother to go get a calendar and proceeded to look at Saturday dates. He said 'I think this is a good date for our wedding' that was the first I knew I was getting married.
He was extremely bossy from the beginning but I thought he was looking after me and protecting me. It progressively got worse. DOH!
All these years later my doctor asked if I'd ever suffered depression. I said yes but I don't now.
I divorced him. We laughed together for a couple of minutes.

I was the perfect target. I was paying off 5 acres in the centre of town, a great career and everything ahead of me. He thought he'd take it all away and he very nearly did.
Just like GBC he wanted to jump on the free gravy train for a free ride.

I guess if we knew exactly how to prevent the problem, we'd be millionaires! I've known a few families where they are very nurturing parents with kids who are well adjusted, yet one in the fold turns out to be self-absorbed. I sure wish there was a way to help these people. I can't imagine not ever really living...

I'm not an expert in the field but after years of personal research into personality disorders I do believe that GBC suffers from one or another, and there are many! I would dearly love to hear a psychiatrists opinion.
Here are a few to look at:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/p...-pubs-w-whatper-toc~mental-pubs-w-whatper-typ

What are the main types of personality disorder?

Page last updated: May 2007

There is a wide range of personality disorders. All of them involve a pervasivepattern of behaviour, which means that the characteristic behaviours and thoughts are evident in almost all aspects of a person’s life.

There are three clusters of personality disorders: odd or eccentric disorders; dramatic, emotional or erratic disorders; and anxious or fearful disorders. Specific disorders are as follows:

Paranoid personality disorder is a pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others, such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent.

Schizoid personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings.

Schizotypal personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with reduced capacity for close relationships. It is also characterised by distortions of thinking and perception and eccentric behaviour.

Antisocial personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others.

Histrionic personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of excessive emotion and attention seeking.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or actual behaviour), need for admiration, and lack of empathy.

Avoidant personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation.

Dependent personality disorder is a pervasive and excessive need to be taken care of, which leads to submissive and clinging behaviour and fears of separation.

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency.

Borderline personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, moods, and control over impulses.
Understanding borderline personality disorder is particularly important because it can be misdiagnosed as another mental illness, particularly a mood disorder.
People with borderline personality disorder are likely to have:
Wide mood swings.
Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger.
Chronic feelings of emptiness.
Recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures or threats, or self-harming behaviour.
Impulsive and self-destructive behaviour.
A pattern of unstable relationships.
Persistent unstable self-image or sense of self.
Fear of abandonment.
Periods of paranoia and loss of contact with reality.

I'm not an expert in the field but after years of personal research into personality disorders I do believe that GBC suffers from one or another, and there are many! I would dearly love to hear a psychiatrists opinion.

Yeah, they didn't say much about their opinion of him at trial, did they? At least, not as far as a diagnosis. Were they allowed? Medical records in the States are really hard to get released.

" I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils..." William Wordsworth.

YAY! I found you guys at last! No longer am I lonely as a cloud. Please let me know where you are all hanging out. Felt displaced, unsure and lost for hours today. Never realised how much I valued and cherised my WS family.

Here are a few to look at:
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/p...-pubs-w-whatper-toc~mental-pubs-w-whatper-typ

What are the main types of personality disorder?

Page last updated: May 2007

There is a wide range of personality disorders. All of them involve a pervasivepattern of behaviour, which means that the characteristic behaviours and thoughts are evident in almost all aspects of a person’s life.

There are three clusters of personality disorders: odd or eccentric disorders; dramatic, emotional or erratic disorders; and anxious or fearful disorders. Specific disorders are as follows:

Paranoid personality disorder is a pervasive distrust and suspiciousness of others, such that their motives are interpreted as malevolent.

Schizoid personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of detachment from social relationships and a restricted range of expression of emotions in interpersonal settings.

Schizotypal personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of social and interpersonal deficits marked by acute discomfort with reduced capacity for close relationships. It is also characterised by distortions of thinking and perception and eccentric behaviour.

Antisocial personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of disregard for and violation of the rights of others.

Histrionic personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of excessive emotion and attention seeking.

Narcissistic personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or actual behaviour), need for admiration, and lack of empathy.

Avoidant personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation.

Dependent personality disorder is a pervasive and excessive need to be taken care of, which leads to submissive and clinging behaviour and fears of separation.

Obsessive-compulsive personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, and mental and interpersonal control, at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency.

Borderline personality disorder is a pervasive pattern of instability of interpersonal relationships, self-image, moods, and control over impulses.
Understanding borderline personality disorder is particularly important because it can be misdiagnosed as another mental illness, particularly a mood disorder.
People with borderline personality disorder are likely to have:
Wide mood swings.
Inappropriate anger or difficulty controlling anger.
Chronic feelings of emptiness.
Recurrent suicidal behaviour, gestures or threats, or self-harming behaviour.
Impulsive and self-destructive behaviour.
A pattern of unstable relationships.
Persistent unstable self-image or sense of self.
Fear of abandonment.
Periods of paranoia and loss of contact with reality.

Added a few types of personality disorders to check out. I find it fascinating.

Nothing wrong with being a nurturing parent. The problem arises when parents exhibit inappropriate responses to their child. Praise when there's nothing worthy of praise creates in the child a sense that he's special just for existing. Failure of the parent to chastise when the child's behaviour is not acceptable breeds in the child that he can do whatever he likes to whomever, whenever

Some parents believe their child is above reproach. Those parents will argue aggressively with anyone who finds the slightest fault in 'their' child. In other words, faulty parents regard their children as extensions of themselves. Those parents believe they are above criticism themselves and by extension, so is their child above criticism. The child soon picks up on it, grasps what's behind it. And that's how monsters are created

Can these personalities get treatment? How do we handle them?

I once started reading a book on how to love a narcissist. It seemed like it took a lot of time and energy to have a relationship with a person like this and quite honestly, I think I'd be afraid to try.

Why bother?

We all suffer from one or more personality disorders. It's part of being human

Some people create monsters of their dogs. Because it's 'their' dog, it's allowed to do as it pleases, is their attitude.

Why bother?

From my own research over many years, personality disorders are the hardest to treat. Other psychiatric disorders are usually treatable with medication. First and foremost the patient has to accept that they have a "problem" and want to be helped. The most common treatment for personality disorders is cognitive behavioural therapy but the outcome is usually poor.

I would say we all meet some traits of the personality disorders. Heaven knows I recognise some in me. But most of us don't reach the level of a disorder. A PD is a pretty profound disturbance in self-image and relating to others.

I disagree. We all have a personality which usually is not disordered. We don't go around scamming people left right and centre, hurting people either physically or emotionally etc etc.

I disagree. We all have a personality which usually is not disordered. We don't go around scamming people left right and centre, hurting people either physically or emotionally etc etc.

Ah well, we'll have to agree to disagree

If you browse the lists of personality disorders posted here, it would have to be a fairly dishonest individual who would claim not to recognise any of their own personality traits or tendencies there

Or maybe perfect people would claim non of it pertains to themselves

I read somewhere that parents who don't make their children take responsibility for their own actions, and excuse their bad behavior, can create adults who constantly point the blame at others. Would this be the problem with GBC, rather than narcissism?

Highly likely Kimster. The parents changed their name to entitle them to a 'royal' like status to hide behind while they thought they were better than us, the great unwashed. That's why he used it on the police and on the stand.
Thank you Allison for scratching his face because he could have so simply got away with it.
Thank you constable Kieron Ash for not falling for his long winded 'I am' story.

Ah well, we'll have to agree to disagree

If you browse the lists of personality disorders posted here, it would have to be a fairly dishonest individual who would claim not to recognise any of their own personality traits or tendencies there

Or maybe perfect people would claim non of it pertains to themselves

Of course there may be one or two traits of a personality disorder in all of us, but to be diagnosed with a fully blown personality disorder you need to have at least five (from memory) of the diagnostic criteria.

I'm not perfect either - close, but there's always room for improvement :)

My personality disorder is that my house is disorderly ATM because I'm away with my WS friends solving the world problems and getting rid of all the unsavoury characters walking the earth. It's a tough job but some has to do it!!:saber:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back