Who is in the nursing home with your family member?

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
This series came out in my local paper and they are looking at Ohio. But something tells me that this is probably not a problem that is going to be limited to Ohio.

Local 12 has learned nearly 100 registered sex offenders are living in nursing homes around Ohio. Nearly 40 of them are in the Tri-State.

The offenders are living among some of the most vulnerable people of our society.

In the state of Ohio, the average nursing home resident is 78-years-old. Most are frail and in need of supervision. That is not Rickey Smith, 43. In August, Smith, who is a registered sex offender as well as a client at the Uptowne Residential Care Facility in Bond Hill, admitted to raping another resident in the ward where he was living.

"We're really looking at the very tip of the iceberg," said Wes Bledsoe, A Perfect Cause. "Many states only list your more at risk offenders in facilities. Some states have unwritten policies that if you're a child molester and you're a high risk or moderate risk sex offender, and you're moved into a nursing home, you're automatically downgraded to a tier one low risk offender because you don't have proximity to your normal prey."

Healthcare experts says some nursing homes routinely solicit the Department of Corrections for about to be paroled prisoners, who might qualify for a nursing home bed paid for by Medicare and Medicaid.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=473F62FB-8A77-4C21-AF12-85543087A01F

Kentucky Attorney General Greg Stumbo is seeking criminal indictments Tuesday against a nursing home. The long list of charges against The Communities at Oakwood in Pulaski County includes neglect.... to the point one resident choked to death on a hotdog, according to investigators. In another situation, a known sex offender allegedly raped a number of clients before anything was reported. In a Local 12 Investigation, we found convicted sex offenders are frequently found filling beds in nursing homes across the country and right here in the Tri-State. Rich Jaffe looks at what you can do, to make sure your loved ones are safe.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=7D1A45E4-933B-48D1-865B-3C3D2C71702E

Where are these people supposed to go? They live in our neighborhoods, close to our children and are like normal members of society. They're not going to make special nursing homes for sex offenders, and I think this newspaper should be devoting their space to more important issues such as missing and unidentified people. I'm sorry, but IMHO that's rubbish.

Child molesters often go for children because they are so cowardly, feel so insecure, while having the need for domination, so the only person they think they can dominate is a child. In that sense, being among the nearly helpless and often mentally confused elderly is not leaving their normal prey, it's a whole new batch of prey that satisfies all of those needs to dominate someone weak enough not to be a threat.

I don't know if that's generally, statistically true, but it make sense to me that a sex offender who is all about power and control isn't going to be leaving the elderly alone, they're going to find them a good fit to their sick needs.

Paradise said:
Where are these people supposed to go? They live in our neighborhoods, close to our children and are like normal members of society. They're not going to make special nursing homes for sex offenders, and I think this newspaper should be devoting their space to more important issues such as missing and unidentified people. I'm sorry, but IMHO that's rubbish.

They aren't talking about 70 year old offenders, nursing homes are taking 30 and 40 year old offenders who are being placed in the nursing homes. Some nursing homes have what they call behaviorial units, some put them in with the rest of the home population.
When the sex offenders get a mental health designation, often they become eligible for medicaid/medicare benefits, and some even become eligible for nursing home care, even though they are physically capable.
But the very diagnosis that makes them dangerous, is what makes them eligible to go into the homes of the vulnerable.

A young male employee of a nursing home in Carencro, Louisiana just raped an elderly woman resident. He was caught when another employee entered the room. I'm not sure if he was a registered sex offender or not, but I know he is sick in his head in a way I cannot understand.

kgeaux said:
A young male employee of a nursing home in Carencro, Louisiana just raped an elderly woman resident. He was caught when another employee entered the room. I'm not sure if he was a registered sex offender or not, but I know he is sick in his head in a way I cannot understand.

Do you know what UMC does with mentally ill people? Do they just let them go after 30 days or are they required to seek help?

A distraught father speaks out after a Local 12 investigation looks at the sex offender who raped his daughter in a nursing home. That man's daughter was in a local nursing home because she needed help. Barely one week after her arrival, the young woman was raped by a convicted sex offender who was also a client at the facility. In the course of an Exclusive Local 12 Investigation, over the last two days we've told you about the growing problem of sex offenders living in nursing homes. Now Local 12's Rich Jaffe brings you the victim's story.

The 18 year-old woman identified in court documents as "A.M." has the mental capacity of an 11-14 year old. Needing treatment, in early September the girl arrived at the Uptowne Care Facility, which is the behavioral wing of Woodsedge Point Nursing Home in Bond Hill. A few days later, she was raped by another client, convicted sex offender Rickey Smith.
http://www.wkrc.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=6FFA158A-B31E-498E-AE3B-79CFE7F811EB

The above article reference's a website devoted to America's Disablitity and Elder & Elder rights advocates. It is called A Perfect Cause:http://www.aperfectcause.org/

mysteriew said:
They aren't talking about 70 year old offenders, nursing homes are taking 30 and 40 year old offenders who are being placed in the nursing homes. Some nursing homes have what they call behaviorial units, some put them in with the rest of the home population.
When the sex offenders get a mental health designation, often they become eligible for medicaid/medicare benefits, and some even become eligible for nursing home care, even though they are physically capable.
But the very diagnosis that makes them dangerous, is what makes them eligible to go into the homes of the vulnerable.
ok I guess I misunderstood the first post.

concernedperson said:
Do you know what UMC does with mentally ill people? Do they just let them go after 30 days or are they required to seek help?

Last I heard, UMC didn't even deal with mentally ill people. They "stabilize" them and then let them go. I have a nephew who is schizophrenic, and UMC kept him less than 24 hours when he was hearing voices and believing that God told him to do some God Awful things. Umc had no beds available for mentally ill patients. Althought they tried to find a bed for him in a state facility, none were available in any state facilities either. The family had to get together and search for a private hospital to take him. We did get him some help, but of course, the minute he got out of the hospital, he went off his meds.

He's in jail right now, because he got home one night and his key wouldn't work, so he kicked down the door. Only problem was, he wasn't at his own home but at a neighbors. He will be released December 13, and we are all worried to death already. He has been on meds in jail, but we know he will not continue to take them after he is released.

I love my nephew, and I am scared to death of him too. What an awful feeling.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth
Back