Who is Matthew Bartlett and why the middle finger sign?

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by RR473, Jun 30, 2011.

1. RR473

RR473 Former Member

Who is Matthew Bartlett?
    Why did he make that middle finger sign?
    Why did he say he wants to appeal when he clearly said that it was stupid of him to make the sign?

2. Loading...

3. weedemout

weedemout Member

how it is legal or allowed that the judge can jail this guy basically by having a quick trial within a trial? Could the guy have said I want legal counsel? I have my own? or pleaded the 5th?

Also, how could his actions have caused a mistrial? How can flipping the bird to a lawyer in court cause a mistrial?

4. ColdDayIn

ColdDayIn New Member

I don't know how it all works, but the same thing happened with that woman who made an outburst during jury selection. IMO, it is fair, as there were signs posted, and even told verbally the rules, and it is a court of law. It's not like he could plead not guilty, it happened on video.

5. shelbar53

shelbar53 New Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVbENsT6rU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxVbENsT6rU[/ame]

Video of guy giving the middle finger to JA

6. Turnadot

Turnadot New Member

The judge charged him, jailed him and fined him. A public defender will argue later on the defendant's behalf. The charges will wither be reduced, dropped, or stay the same.

In the Lawyer thread here, a similar situation was discussed and explained. Perhaps it might be better to ask a lawyer in the thread, or search the previous threads for the answer.

7. weedemout

weedemout Member

Not saying what he did was right of course. I'm just wondering in regards to our rights a citizens? It happened awfully fast.

8. Beyond Belief

Beyond Belief New Member

I wonder if we have anylike him on the jury.

9. Turnadot

Turnadot New Member

It's legal, or Judge Perry wouldn't have done it.

Fair? Well, depends on the interpretation of events, IMO.

10. weedemout

weedemout Member

I have a big problem with what I bolded. The guy is a <modsnip>, no doubt, but as a citizen this happened too fast, especially for a poor person working a crap job. He probably can't afford a good lawyer. He was basically helpless. I'm just wondering about the legalities. I will look for the lawyer thread, but like most things here it's probably incredibly long. So if you can offer some suggestions on what page to start on, i'd be grateful.

11. Turnadot

Turnadot New Member

The only thing I can offer is that Belvin Perry Jr., is the Chief Judge. If it wasn't legal, Perry wouldn't have done it.

12. weedemout

weedemout Member

Of course it's legal, I am not doubting that. But my point is if mark geragos had flipped the bird, I bet he wouldn't be locked up right now. Or some rich person with access to a fancy lawyer. maybe I am wrong.

13. ahoyhoy

ahoyhoy New Member

IMO, Judge Perry was just about to explain to the young man that he could have caused a mistrial with that gesture.....b/c HHJP asked him if he was aware that the trial was expensive...then he said, "Do you realize what might have..." but seemed to stop himself. This close to the end I'm sure HHJP doesn't wanna give anyone ideas.
    That's how it seemed to me anyway. JMO

14. RhythmicSun

RhythmicSun New Member

He's a post-adolescent red-blooded American male who is a server at TGIFriday's. He knew the camera was on him, and he thought it would be cool to flash his friends who might be watching. I don't think it had anything to do with JA.

He could have been a "plant" to try and cause a mistrial but that is not as likely, though I wouldn't put it past Baez to try it.

15. weedemout

weedemout Member

I'm not talking about whether it's fair or I guess I am wondering how someone with some legal savvy would have gotten out of it.

16. JBounds

JBounds I feel lucky

He was in contempt of court so the sentence I would imagine happens immediately, I guess.

17. RR473

RR473 Former Member

Why did he say that he intends to appeal when he earlier said that it was stupid of him to make the middle finger sign?

18. Melanie

Melanie Inactive

Amen Turnadot.

It's easy - it's simple. It's called Contempt of Court, and has been on the books since the dawn of time ;)

Contempt of court is a charge which can be laid against someone for interrupting the process of justice in a court of law. A charge of contempt, if proved, can result in fines and jail time. Many people are familiar with the concept of contempt of court, since it tends to come up in courtroom dramas.

Many people think COC relates only to the players, but it doesn't.

What the bird fellow was charged with was Civil Contempt.

Civil contempt of court involves a failure to obey an order from a court. It can be purged by obeying the order. For example, someone may speak out of turn in a courtroom during trial proceedings, disrespecting the basic rules of the courtroom.

I'm sure there's a real lawyer on here that can confirm this and not rely on me (who only pretends to be a lawyer on the internet) LOL.

MOO

Mel

19. darcedarce

darcedarce It's not easy to tell you goodbye

I guess if he couldn't afford it he shouldn't have done it.

20. Nefriahaia

Nefriahaia Inactive

We don't seem to have QUITE as many of those "rights" as we did back in the day. Just sayin'.

21. RhythmicSun

RhythmicSun New Member

Regarding what I bolded above, he said he was able to pay the fine right now, implying in full.