Who is Matthew Bartlett and why the middle finger sign?

Evidently this guy is one of those people who think that there are no consequences for breaking rules or (in the simplest sense) for showing no respect for the rights of others. We see these obnoxious, self-centered people everywhere. In classrooms they text and talk and tell lies about why they missed the test--too bad for the people who studied and showed up. In the movie theater, they text and talk in spite of the many announcements to turn off cell phones and shut up. In traffic they weave in an out, cutting off other drivers just to get a few yards ahead. The new wrinkle is the reality TV angle; this guy gets himself into a nationally televised trial and has to make it all about him--get on TV, be seen and get a screen shot to put on YouTube. Everyone is a star.

He's too <modsnip> and <modsnip> to understand that a death penalty trial is serious business, that everyone in the room from the judge to the last spectator has to follow the rules or there can be a mistrial or appeal or maybe even a wrongful conviction. The state of Florida has spent a lot of money investigating this crime and putting on this trial. The jurors have spent over a month away from home. But hey. This guys wants to show his support for Casey on TV. Given those stakes, 6 days, $400 and court costs isn't very much. And for those who think his punishment is "unfair," what would the Florida taxpayers have to pay if there had been a mistrial? How much inconvenience for the expert witness, or LE officers (who could better spend their time solving crimes rather than re-doing this trial), the attorneys, or the Anthony family?

He did it because he thought court was like the rest of the world as he knows it, where, if he showed he is "nice" and "apologized" and lied about not having a reason, everyone would just say, "OK. Cool. Don't do it again." If there hadn't been a camera, he probably would have said he was just scratching his nose. No wonder he like Casey Anthony.

Probably one of the people that deposit money in Casey's jail account.

He may get more since he not only flipped,he fibbed .

Cute. :rocker:

Seriously though--what an awful irony it will be if that boy gets sentenced to more jail time because he lied to the same judge who has presided over a courtroom where witnesses like the Anthonys, have been lying outrageously, shamelessly, and with complete immunity so far. KWIM?

Don't get me wrong--if that young man did tell a bald faced lie about his past to the judge this morning, he deserves to spend time in jail for it--but not if he's the only liar who is going to be punished for lying in that courtroom.

And TA DA--this should be his public defender's argument on appeal: "Your honor, my client thought it was okay to lie to the court and to flip the bird at Mr. Ashton, because the Anthonys have been flipping him off--figuratively speaking--by lying through their teeth in here for weeks. :floorlaugh: (That's me, laughing at my own wit.) I'm clearly loosing it.

He's in jail for contempt for disobeying the orders not to make faces, gestures, comments, etc. If he lied to the judge (and I don't know that to be the case), that will be more trouble.

Witnesses (like the Anthonys) also face consequences for lying: their testimony is impeached, or other witnesses reveal them to be liars, and in some cases, they face perjury charges. In the end, their testimony on things that aren't lying about isn't believed as a result, and of course their reputations can be ruined, too.

His bday is July 4th, he'll be spending it in jail, booking photo:

image.asp
I wonder if he will get pissed if his family has a party and makes chili....

I have a big problem with what I bolded. The guy is a <modsnip>, no doubt, but as a citizen this happened too fast, especially for a poor person working a crap job. He probably can't afford a good lawyer. He was basically helpless. I'm just wondering about the legalities. I will look for the lawyer thread, but like most things here it's probably incredibly long. So if you can offer some suggestions on what page to start on, i'd be grateful.

Keep in mind, if the defense used this behavior to call for a mistrial it would have cost the State of Florida hundreds of thousands of dollars. As a FL taxpayer I think he should have gotten 30 days. Whose fault is it that he's still working a "crap job" at 28 or acting like a 5 year old? BTW, 10% of Floridians, who are unemployed, would love to have that "crap job".

He's a post-adolescent red-blooded American male who is a server at TGIFriday's. He knew the camera was on him, and he thought it would be cool to flash his friends who might be watching. I don't think it had anything to do with JA.

He could have been a "plant" to try and cause a mistrial but that is not as likely, though I wouldn't put it past Baez to try it.

He was asked who, if anyone, that middle finger was extended to and his answer was, to Mr. Ashton. It was a stupid thing to do, and he deserved what he got. MOO.

Just think of all the drivers who should be in jail :)

IMO the judge is not being fair to the prosecution. As a computer expert I know that it takes a lot of time to verify/authenticate and cross examine the work done on computer searches. The fact that one report shows that "chloroform" was searched only once while the other shows "84" times indicates to me that one of these reports is wrong and one has to further examine to explain the discrepancy.

Cute. :rocker:

Seriously though--what an awful irony it will be if that boy gets sentenced to more jail time because he lied to the same judge who has presided over a courtroom where witnesses like the Anthonys, have been lying outrageously, shamelessly, and with complete immunity so far. KWIM?

Don't get me wrong--if that young man did tell a bald faced lie about his past to the judge this morning, he deserves to spend time in jail for it--but not if he's the only liar who is going to be punished for lying in that courtroom.

And TA DA--this should be his public defender's argument on appeal: "Your honor, my client thought it was okay to lie to the court and to flip the bird at Mr. Ashton, because the Anthonys have been flipping him off--figuratively speaking--by lying through their teeth in here for weeks. :floorlaugh: (That's me, laughing at my own wit.) I'm clearly loosing it.

Well, there is a huge difference between him and the Anthonys. They are victims and have a direct emotional loss. Anyone that is not directly emotionally involved in this case on a personal basis, who can go into a courtroom and have such a loss of respect and composure is weird, and makes me thankful there are guards and metal detectors.

28!

My jaw dropped when he said he was that old. Immature thing to do. That's something a 12 year-old would do.

He's a post-adolescent red-blooded American male who is a server at TGIFriday's. He knew the camera was on him, and he thought it would be cool to flash his friends who might be watching. I don't think it had anything to do with JA.

He could have been a "plant" to try and cause a mistrial but that is not as likely, though I wouldn't put it past Baez to try it.

He's a TWENTY EIGHT year old GROWN MAN with less than two hundred dollars in his checking account and 12 dollars in savings.

In my world, that <modsnip>

:floorlaugh: Now that he has been schooled, I wouldn't put it past him having his own mother flipping off the defense. I have a feeling she'd do it too. IMO

Mathew Bartlet

Allow me to make a few statements here;

- he is NOT a 'boy', he is a 28 year old MAN
- this was NOT some inocent 'prank', he is a SUPPORTER of Casey Anthony
- he commited a SERIOUS offense which also could have caused a mistrial. Think about the implications of THAT.
- he DESERVES all the scorn & hardships that will now come his way by all NORMAL people in society.

It is not ok for decent people to excuse or make light of his behavior, as he is a supporter of a killer. It makes him a demented, wrong thinking person who should be ostracized by all until he seeks mental health treatment & is able to become a productive member of society; people who are 'fans' of killers deserve no sympathy.

Society would be better if people like this were treated harshly by all. There are just too many weirdos like this - & this includes the mentaly ill member of the defense team who married a serial killer after he was found to be a serial killer.

JMO - I'm waivering between him being a KC groupie and/or being disgruntled over some prior prosecution by the State or JA in particular on a case either involving himself or someone he knows.

Or maybe he associates JA with the power structure that put either himself or someone else in jail? Perhaps it is not specific to JA but only to the effect that he or someone he knew was wronged by a SA somewhere at some time. Therefore, he may feel some allegiance to the defendant in that way. Add to that this trial's huge media influence and he's broadcasting his statement to the world.

I tend to agree with someone who mentioned yesterday that this guy didn't flip off JA, but flipped off the camera. And it clearly looks more like that to me. I'll bet it was his way of acknowledging his friends or something. Now why would he say he flipped off JA? I have no idea other than he was scared.

Anyway he is getting way more attention than he deserves, imo.

I asked this in the sidebar thread: Is he housed in the same building/buildings as ICA?

quote from weedemout:

"I will ask some lawyers in my family. You guys are not understanding my question. I understand contempt of court, I understand it's legal. What I don't understand is how an american citizen can do something and be locked up within the hour and have the system throw a lawyer to you.... Shoot casey had freedom longer for killing a child."

She would have been if they'd had a picture of her doing it.

ETA: Sorry, wrong quote. I'll try to fix it if I can.

First of all, my guess is that he has or will have bond set while awaiting his appeal.

But he did have his hearing where he was allowed to present evidence right then and there. And was found guilty. Is that what you are asking? About his due process rights? His due process just went by really quickly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lee k
Back