Missing pregnant Shanann Watts and her two daughter's bodies found, husband arrested
Join the latest discussion

Who was George Brody?- Part 2.

Discussion in 'Anna Christian Waters' started by Cubby, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

Good points. Was there a naturalization record found? Funny you mention the missing years...... I remember the anticipation waiting for the 1940 census to be released. Now I am wondering when the 1950 census will be made public.

2. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

3. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

4. Odyssey

Odyssey Verfied Insider Diane Genice Dye

Cubby,

There was a naturalization record found for someone whose name I forgot, but he changed his name to George Brody when he arrived in the us. He was in Boston at that time, I think 1921 but we didn't have much to decide if he was the same person, just a birthdate of 1905, from Russia and the fact that our GB mentioned family on the east coast. I don't think it was looked into any further.

I have been rereading the threads trying to piece this back together in my head, and I came across something else interesting that I had either forgotten about or hadn't seen before. On page 6 of the GB/MK thread, Raf had posted snippets from the Oakland Tribune of 3 articles related to MK's arrest and conviction. All 3 articles say she was a former nurse at Oakland Naval Hospital. So it is possible that if Oakland GB is our GB, that he could actually have met her in Oakland. At the time the articles were printed (1953) they gave her address as 1055 Fell St and that was the year she was listed twice in the city directory, once as MK at 1025 Fulton SF and again as K M Berghold at Fell St. That was her earliest appearance in the San Francisco directories that we have been able to find.

On the timeline it says she started working at Letterman in 1943. We know she was in Pennsylvania in 1942 so I'm wondering when she could have worked in Oakland.

I also found a military record for her on Ancestry, it doesn't give much info but says she became a lieutenant in 1949 and her "pay entry date" was 9/7/1943. I'm not sure what "pay entry date" means, I thought maybe it was the date of enlistment. I tried to google it and found where others had asked what the pay entry date was and got responses like "it depends" followed by a bunch of military jargon that made no sense to me.

I do know that Oakland Naval Hospital didn't open until 1942.

5. Odyssey

Just wanted to add the one with the naturalization record was Josef Wachbroit before changing his name to George Brody. He was listed on a ship manifest as having brown eyes when our GB had blue but apparently someone higher up on the page had brown eyes and everyone below had ditto marks. He was also listed as 5'0" at the age of 16 which does fit with Annasmon's description of him being short. I think that was the only possibility we found as far as immigration records went. This person did have a stepsister in Boston and a brother who came to the US later.

6. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

OT: we may never, ever see the 1960. Apparently it was stored on magnetic tape reels -- and zero functioning readers exist today. This may be a myth but has the ring of truth.

I remember that naturalization record! Not the Eifee surname, though.

:seeya:

7. SideKick

SideKick Active Member

8. SideKick

SideKick Active Member

George Brody
    United States Census, 1940
    Name George Brody
    Event Type Census
    Event Date 1940
    Event Place Belvedere Judicial Township, Los Angeles, California, United States
    Gender Male
    Age 48
    Marital Status Married
    Race (Original) White
    Race White
    Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Lodger
    Relationship to Head of Household Lodger
    Birthplace Russia
    Birth Year (Estimated) 1892
    Last Place of Residence Worcester, Massachusetts
    Household
    Role
    Birthplace
    Harry Brown Head M 52 Russia
    Minnie Brown Wife F 51 Russia
    Jeannette Brown Daughter F 28 Russia
    George Brody Lodger

9. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

The brother who came to the US later, has he been researched? I wonder if there is any info to see if that family resembles our GB.

10. newfiedee

newfiedee Former Member

11. Annasmom

Annasmom Active Member

Thank you, Newfiedee. There is a certain resemblance, but I think we probably need more information on this person to assume he's a person of interest, especially since we have fairly strong evidence that the man calling himself George Brody was probably in the San Francisco Bay Area before the man in your photographs disappeared.

12. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

13. Odyssey

I think it will be released in 2020, isn't it 70 years?

14. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

There is something called a 'substitute census' for 1950 which was released several years ago. I found it last night and had no idea it existed. I don't recall any mention of it here at WS/this thread so I don't know if GB has been researched.

The link I added in my previous post should be directly to this 1950 substitute census.

15. Cubby

Cubby fly the W!

I just looked at the census substitute link and it appears to be a compilation of US city directories. There are some GBs in Oakland/Alameda in there. I can't see the detailed results not being a member. Maybe a look at those results might uncover something new about GB.

16. rae100

rae100 Verified in Medical Sciences and Facial Shape Anal

Sorry to say - this is not the same person. Not in the least bit. The cranial architecture and structure is completely different, particularly in the mandibular and maxillary regions.

17. Annasmom

Annasmom Active Member

Thanks
    so much for your expert opinion. I knew the face was different, but I couldn't say just why.

18. zencompass

zencompass Well-Known Member

Sending prayers of strength, love and comfort to all who love Anna.

Hoping and praying that answers come soon. We are thinking of you all.

19. Odyssey

I just happened to be on the unclaimed property database today searching my own name and for some reason I entered Brody’s name and it’s gone! Did someone claim it?

20. Annasmom

Annasmom Active Member

Is there some kind of statute of limitations on these things? I don't know anything about it, but as far as I know, GB had no children. How do you search for unclaimed property?