Who's Who in Cold Cases

If you'll go to the Cold Case File: Peggy Wynell Byars-Baisden, 23, Missing 2 April 1965 from Highland City, FL -
things should become clearer. The second woman "Mary Margaret Cook" was the missing wife of the man I married. If you read all those postings, you should understand Pepper, but if not, post on that thread, and I'll try again. It's complicated, I know.

I married a "divorced" man with 2 sons who's wife disappeared. I grew to love his little boys as my own. The first year we were married two things happened.
1. We had a baby girl. (their sister)
2. My husband became abusive.

Instead of taking my daughter and getting a divorce, I stayed, because of my love for those little boys who are now grown men with families of their own. Once the boys moved out, so did their sister and I.

Pepper, how do you do that QUOTE thing?

Thanks for your interest,

D

Going there now. Thank you.

To quote a post, just click on the "quote" button in the lower right corner of the post. Then start typing after the [/quote]. Hope that helps!

My name's Sofia, and I'm a crime reporter for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale.
As I'm sure you all know by now, we in the media don't do enough for these cold cases. It's hard because in the news world every editor wants a story where there's something new to report. A lot of people don't believe in just writing about a cold case to educate a new generation about it and in hopes of generating new leads. But I do.
Anyway, long story short... I'd love to hear from any South Florida folks who know of any cold cases that could use some publicity. I've practically memorized the cases on the Doe Network's web site, so I'm looking for the ones that either aren't there already or haven't been publicized much. Thanks!

Yea Sofia. Know anyone in Dayton, Ohio as ambitious and kind hearted as you are? Lori Jean Lloyd's sister - Joni

FLreporter said:
My name's Sofia, and I'm a crime reporter for the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale.
As I'm sure you all know by now, we in the media don't do enough for these cold cases. It's hard because in the news world every editor wants a story where there's something new to report. A lot of people don't believe in just writing about a cold case to educate a new generation about it and in hopes of generating new leads. But I do.
Anyway, long story short... I'd love to hear from any South Florida folks who know of any cold cases that could use some publicity. I've practically memorized the cases on the Doe Network's web site, so I'm looking for the ones that either aren't there already or haven't been publicized much. Thanks!

My name is Marilyn, I'm from Texas (a native Texan) and have been interested in unsolved and missing persons cases for years. I was thrilled to find this site and am just now getting up the nerve to post a few findings and/or opinions.

I am Kami from Texas. I am married with 3 daughters, and 1 beautiful new granddaughter. I found this site while researching the Darlie Routier case, and now I am hooked. :)

My name is Paul and I am an investigator for a Medical Examiner's office. I came to the US after 16 years as a Police Officer in Hampshire , England and the Cayman Islands. I worked in a Forensic Science laboratory while earning a chemistry degree and I took a Masters in Forensic Archaeology course just before coming over to the US. When I have time I work on the cold cases that have come to our office over the years. I am determined to use all my experience and knowledge to try and provide identities to the many unfortunate subjects who have as yet no name. I have a wonderful wife and two amazing young girls aged 3 and 18 months. I am a cancer survivor.

My name is Scott and I live in Pittsburgh, PA. I'm a 20 year old sophomore in college majoring in elementary education. I first got into cold cases and the like in 2001 when I got the mail and out of curiosity typed in the missingkids site that is on those little flyers you get with one of many missing children printed on them. Pretty soon I found Doe Network and have tried to place events together for a while. I found this site while looking for information about the Sharon Marshall case. I'm also very familiar with the stories of Princess Doe, Tara Calico, Mary Shotwell Little, and a few others. I even wrote a short work on Princess Doe for freshman HS English.

I read some posts on this site months ago and that is how I heard of Matt's book. Now that I've read it I wished to come and discuss some thoughts about the Sharon Marshall case. I also have looked at other stuff on here and will post on anything I have a thought about.

Welcome, MacPlus, from a fellow Pittsburgher. I would have never guessed that you are 20--I've seen your posts on the Peugot case and was impressed by how smart and well-written they are. (I've got some experience in this area since I teach writing to college students.)

Hi
My name is suzanne.I have a sister who came up missing on July 6 1983 from Cocoa Beach Florida.Her name is Tammy Lynn Leppert.she has never been found.I care very much of what became of her.I dedicated the board I care missing persons cold cases to her and to help find other missing persons.

http://icaremissingpersonscoldcases.yuku.com/

Thankyou and God bless you
suzanne

Greetings all!

Been lurking around here for quite a while after following a link about the Sharon Marshall case.

I've been fascinated with true crime stories for years. Used to burn through the novels like crazy until I got hooked on the internet. Then all of the TV shows came along----I catch em whenever I can, but always bookmark "The First 48" in my widdle brain for Thursday nights. Those are always neat little stories, in that they're wrapped up or close to in the "the first 48". That's TV. Sleuthing is another story. Places like the Charley Project and Doe Network. I just can't get over that there are so many lost people in the world, and found people with no one that has "lost" them. If I ever find and match just one, I'll know I made a difference in the world.

I have a wonderful 2nd hubby who says that he's waiting to wake up one morning and see me standing over him, saying that I've finally watched THE crime show and I now know where to get rid of his body without being caught---lol. I have one adult daughter and two teens still at home, along with a host of cats, dogs, etc. For a paycheck I bounce between Starbucks and being a vet tech. When I get bored or burned out with one I go back to the other for a year or two.

Fair warning. Sometimes I get a little carried away when I feel strongly about something. I will research every minute detail until I'm driving me and everyone around me nuts. I got into a geneology binge a while back and didn't stop until I had traced my hubby's family back to Sweden and my own family back to Germany. Speaking of which, if there's anyone here from either Roane or Jackson Counties in W. Virginia, must say a "howdy cuzzin"!

I feel like I'm among kindred souls here. :D

FLMom

My name is Angie. I live in MA. I first found WB durring the VAN DAM case. I have been lurking for a long time , so, finnaly broke down and joined. I'm single and 32. I love cold cases and like someone elese here said genealogy. I also love to read true crime books like those by Ann Rule. I have an autographed pice of her. I am also a member of an Unsolved Mysteries (tv show) message board. My website www.geocities.com/kidmissing has been accepted into the Doe Networks webring. What an honor that was.

I'm Tru Rose, living in So.Cal for the time being, though I was born(49 years ago) and Raised near Seattle.

My proclivity for enjoying true crime stories caused the local Librarian to shudder when I would hand in a request for a new, often gory, book. My DH of the past 7 years doesn't quite 'get it' either, but he will sit and watch the fictional stuff on TV with me, so I can't really complain.

My main interest is the David Adams case that I posted here, but I am also interested in the multiple murders in Raymond WA, and would like to know if anyone has posted about them, if not, then I will write up a post about it.

My other interests are our horses 5 Thoroughbreds, with two babies due in march, also one Appaloosa stallion (the SANE horse). 2 english mastiffs, and one shepherd mix (I used to breed Labrador Retrievers when I still lived in WA) and, currently 6 cats. My DH, Mike, my stepdaughter, Mo, and my son, Jim, who is married and lives in WA. State and whom I never seem to talk to ENOUGH, you know what I mean?!? I'm also an artist.

Anyway, I'm VERY pleased to find a site with like minded folk.

Tru Rose

Hey all. I'm Phyllis, a 20 year old college junior majoring in behavioral science (with minors in psych and writing). I'm a Jersey girl but I go to school in southern PA. I also work at a daycare with one and two year olds.
I have always been interested in missing children - it both terrifies and fascinates me. Megan Kanka was my neighbor and when she was murdered it completely shattered the view that even though other children get taken, it doesn't happen in my town. She was my age and I was friends with her brother.
I guess you could say i was bitten with the "bug" after that, because soon after Crystal Tymich's "have you seen me" flyer came through my mailbox - and I've never forgotten her either.
The first time I came to WS i was doing research for a novel i was (and still am) writing about a girl who's sister is kidnapped. I lost the web address after a few weeks, but recently came back. (I was looking up information on Morgan Violi, i believe).

I just wanted to say welcome to everyone who has joined recently and who posted above. :)

Hi, I'm Katie. I found this site while researching my mother's case, who has been missing since 1985. Several of you wonderful sleuthers picked up on my initial missing persons report with the San Bernadino Sheriff's station in 2005 and identified a couple of good leads. One of the leads I also had stumbled on through the doenetwork: unidentified remains in Nevada called Valerie Doe because of a bracelet found near the remains. Last year I submitted my dna for comparison to the remains, but, because it is a cold case, the testing hasn't been completed yet (as of 3/1/2007!).

In hopes that someone will remember my mother or have any further leads, I'm reprinting below the initial email I sent to the lead detective in the Valerie Doe case on 6/21/2005. I was 17 when she went missing and unfortunately, by the time we realized she was missing, several years had passed.

Thanks to everyone of you who comes to this web site.

Katie

Valerie Ann Larkin, DOB 2/15/1947, has been missing since
approximately 1985. Her last known whereabouts were in Needles, CA
and at that time she was enroute to the East Coast by bus. She had
traveled from her home in San Diego to Needles and somehow lost all
her money and bus ticket. My grandparents in San Diego arranged to
send money to a Mormon minister in Needles who said that he would give
the money to my mother. We did not hear from her after that time.
Unfortunately, I did not learn these details until much later and no
one can remember the name of the minister or any other specific
details.

She is approximately 5'2" and about 120 lb. Her natural hair color is
brown; I can't remember her eye color but mine is hazel. She has
bipolar depression and is an alcoholic. She was honorably discharged
from the US Army as a private (E1) in 1980 and her SSN is listed as
_____. It's possible that she was fingerprinted in the Army but
I don't know how to get such info.

She was married two times that I know of and her married last names
are Christophersen and Soares. She had two children. I don't
remember any specific scars or other identifying marks but will check
with my brother and father. I have a photo of my mom just before she
disappeared if that is helpful; it doesn't look much like your drawing
except for the pinched features. I also remember that her teeth were
in terrible shape. She had a large chip in one or both of the upper
front teeth that had not been corrected. She had a slight overbite, I
think.

I have searched on and off again for her for many years but only
recently found the Doe Network. I found your news release there and
on your web site. Please contact me by email or by phone at my work
______. Thank you for posting the information. I hope this
isn't a match to my mom (although part of me hopes that it is).

hey my name is jeanne, i am new here but i have been surfing cold cases on the internet for a few years now....it started when i read about a jane doe in upstate new york - i believe she is the first one listed on the doenetwork. I couldn't believe that one so young was still not identified after all that time - on one site i saw the photos from the morgue and they just burned in my brain - i keep checking sites for young girls missing from the 1970s to see if i can find a match - nothing yet. but her case haunts me. I was glad to find out recently they identified the pollen on her clothes as coming from one of four states - hopefully, they are nearer to i.d. ing this young lady...
anyway, I am married to the love of my life, have a 21 yr. old daughter and a 14 yr. old son and a cat who is king of the house....along with three strays i feed every night(skitty, nasty, and scrawny freddy). I am hoping to get published some year as I enjoy writing fantasy and sci-fi. I have a b.a. in psych, an a.a. in mental health/human services, but now am a stay at home mom who home schools my youngest. The hubby is a college prof. I don't post a lot, but i sure read a lot here. Also, the Sharon marshall case - i read the book, too - its absolutely incredible that no one has even said they knew her as a child in school under the suzanne name....its hard to keep up with all the updates on some cases but i try. If anyone knows of anything new on either of these two, please let me know. thanks!!:waitasec: :liar: :p

Hello fellow web-sleuther's! My name is Bonnie, but here I go by Starlight, which is part of my business name Starlight Inner-Prizes. I am married ... 30+ years, live in southeastern Ohio, have 3 German Shepherd Dogs, one little mixed-breed house dog named Copper, a goat that thinks she's a German Shepherd, a pet rooster named Slick-Chic, six cats, three ferrets, and tame pigeons!
I'm a writer, a crime buff, a psychic detective and a dream interpreter, whose real love is tracking killers - especially serial killers.
About 13 years ago I designed my own web site so that I could get some attention drawn to cases that I felt were being ignored by the system. Many involved prostitutes, drug addicts, or women and children from poorer families with no one to help them. As time passed I saw a pattern to many of the unsolved cases, and so I began to document that pattern. In 2007, I made the decision to expose the man whom I believe has killed many of the people that are on my web site, as well as on other web sites.
Although all of my information has been given [repeatedly] to law enforcement, no one has ever considered my suspect, even though I can show how he's been 'in the neighborhood' time and time again, and have even figured out what drives him onward. In fact, I have learned so much about this man, that for the past eleven years I have been 'predicting' his next strike ...... and have actually come up with correct geographical areas, correct dates, times, locations from which the person would disappear, and correct names in many cases. Law enforcement, and a few others choose to call it 'Coincidence.'
After writing 25 books [Pure Coincidence Book Series - unpublished due to extreme cost of publishing!] and linking the cases, so everyone can see how they fit together, it's come to the point that I don't really care what anyone wants to call the nightmare. All I know is, while the world debates my 'psychic abilities, my intentions, my motives, and my theories,' a killer silently stalks his next victim, and another family is about to discover the reality of the 'system' that is supposed to serve and protect.
meanwhile, my grandson has finally reached the age of 18. He's just enrolled in college -- police science, and says he intends to be an FBI agent one of these days, and he says he's going to catch a serial killer! I hope I live long enough to see it!
Many of the cases found here at Web Sleuths can also be found on my web site. The main difference is, I take the cases a step further and present my evidence and information. One case that I am particularly interested in is the unsolved case of Jennifer Short and her family. Although I have sent my information to Virginia authorities, no one seems to be interested. All this does is give my suspect a green light, and if they think he won't go with it, they better think again!

http://users.1st.net/mwells/StarlightInnerPrizes.htm
http://users.1st.net/mwells/SymbolicCases.htm
http://users.1st.net/mwells/WithoutATraceSeries.htm
http://users.1st.net/mwells/Lookin4aKiller.htm
http://users.1st.net/mwells/Pure.htm

Kathy1956, welcome to WS, and I hope you're able to find the information you're looking for re Mr. Hope. I doubt this will help (since you probably already know it), but here's what I've found.

Born 8-29-51
Date of Death listed as 11-8-84
Mother: Paula Elizabeth
Father: Oscar
Born in Harrison Co. (Marshall?)
Probably Married Mary Strong in 1980 in Harrison Co.

Also, since he was from Marshall, have you checked the archives of the Marshall newspaper to see what kind of articles they may have run on his death?
Re: Robert William Hope

At the time you quote as the date of death of Robert William Holt I was the Executinve Office and Chief Investigator for the office of Medical Examiner, Harris County, Houston, Texas. I can't possible remember this death as during my tenure I investigated or supervised the investigation of over 10,000 homicides.

I do have a suggestion: contact the office of Medical Examiner in Houston cite the name and date of death of Hope. From this you should find the results of the autopsy, the date thereof, the rewport of the ME Investigator and the complaint number under which the case is filed in office of the Homicide Divison , Houston Police Department. From the Police Department you should be able to get a report covering all the events of the case.

Cecil Wingo

Re: Robert William Hope

At the time you quote as the date of death of Robert William Holt I was the Executinve Office and Chief Investigator for the office of Medical Examiner, Harris County, Houston, Texas. I can't possible remember this death as during my tenure I investigated or supervised the investigation of over 10,000 homicides.

I do have a suggestion: contact the office of Medical Examiner in Houston cite the name and date of death of Hope. From this you should find the results of the autopsy, the date thereof, the rewport of the ME Investigator and the complaint number under which the case is filed in office of the Homicide Divison , Houston Police Department. From the Police Department you should be able to get a report covering all the events of the case.

Cecil Wingo

Off topic. Welcome Cecil:). I am glad you were able to get on here. In case you would like to see what we are trying to do with princess blue's case here are the links to her 3 threads in chronological order. The first 2 are closed9you can read them, but can no longer post on them). We are on the third thread now, and you can post on it if you like. Thank you in advance for any insight and suggestions you may have.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48232&highlight=doe+network

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1481618&posted=1#post1481618

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1522836#post1522836

Lion

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members